silat books

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Jordan, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I do not do Silat, I'm an aikidoka, but I like Dan Inosanto and Kali and I'm intrested in learning more about Silat. The only book I can get is by Alexander Howard. It makes Silat look like the most sloppest martial art around, BUT I KNOW SILAT IS NOT SLOPPY, I just can't get any good books on silat. Does anyone know any good books on Silat?
    PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY OFFENCE TO THIS LETTER,I DO NOT MEAN FOR IT TO START A FIGHT, IF I OFFENDED YOU E-MAIL ME AND I WILL APOLGIZE!:Angel:

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Actually, according to what I see, it's "Howard Alexander" :)

I've not seen the book and don't know anything about Mr. Alexander.

But I've got 1 big question - how can something look "sloppy" in a book?

Now, to answer your question, the #1 book on general silat information is "Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia." Some of the info is out of date now (the book was written in the early '70s) but it's full of very good information - but not a lot of technical discussion. More about the history and basic philosophies of Silat in general and several Silat systems in particular.

Something else to keep in mind, though, is that Silat isn't a single system. So just because one system of Silat doesn't impress you or interest you, you can't let that color your perception of other Silat systems. In fact, just like in anything, if one instructor isn't very good, that doesn't mean other instructors aren't good or that the system, much less the art, isn't good.

For other books and vids on Silat, go to Amazon.com and enter "silat" into the search field.

Some specific authors that I'd recommend for Silat books/vids are Stevan Plinck and Bob Orlando.

Mike

3. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Hi Jordan. Is the book you are referring to By Dreager as well? Because I think it's actually a really good companion to the book Pesilat mentions. However, I also root for the Seattle Mariners, so go figure.

I have found a few books that are VERY insightful with the principles & techniques of silat.

1: Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals (Bob Orlando)
    This covers the principles behind four or five simple techniques, yet it is probably one of the most insightful & informative books out there. Bob has a companion video to go with the book, and I suggest you get them both. His other book, "Martial Arts America" is also a must-read, although it's not about silat.

2: Pentjak Silat Serak Sambuts, Vol. II (Victor DeThouars)
    This is my favorite book by Pak Vic. Although I am a student of his, I find that this book offers the most for a non-Serak practitioner, as well as an advanced player. You should probably read Vol. I first, if you're just looking for techniques, but Vol. II is his best to date, in my opinion. (See above for a meter of my opinion).

The Filipino Martial Arts (Dan Inosanto)
    You said Kali & Dan Inosanto, well, this book is the DEFINATIVE as far as FMA is concerned. No matter what style you train, every Eskrimador has a battered copy of this somewhere, and with good reason: It was the first real sourcebook on the subject, and it covers the basics of Kali/Eskrima in a way yet to be duplicated by any other book. Alas, it is sadly out of print, and remaining copies are going for anything from $80.00 to $300.00 on Ebay. However, your local library may have it (Mine did, of all places!!) and you can still find a bargain or two in the corner used bookstore.

Videos:

Herman Suwanda heads the list for knowledge & technique. To see this man move was a privilege, and he was taken way too early. Here was a man who LIVED his silat, and he was happy to share it with the rest of the world. His videos are also hard to find, and costly when you can, but they are WELL worth the price, and slam packed with information. If you can find #11 & #12, I strongly reccomend them. These were a two-part silat documentary, filmed in Indonesia.

Stevan Plinck is another good choice, his serak video is excellent.

The Dan Inosanto series is awesome, lots of Kali & Silat in there. And it's by Dan the Man, you can't go wrong!

Hope this helps.

Bobbe Edmonds

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

As has already been mentioned -

Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals (Bob Orlando)

VERY good book that cuts through much of the padding and gets to the errr..... Fighting Fundamentals :D

BTW - Hiya Boobe! :D

5. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Hey Yoda, how is everything across the pond? My door is still open, and a cold beer waiting, if you ever make it to Seattle!

Bobbe Edmonds

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Keep it chillin' Bobbe - one of these days :D

7. bernie

bernie New Member

silat info

Aloha !

As per Bobbe, there are some good silat tapes out there.
    The tapes will give you more information about silat. If you are interested in obtaining information about silat tapes of Mande Muda/Herman Suwanda please email me.

Mahalo

Bernard

8. Garuda

Garuda Valued Member

One of the few good books on pencak silat is the book written by Oong Maryono. In Indonesian the book is called, Pencak silat: merentang waktu. There is also an English translation of the book (title: pencak silat in the Indonesian archipelago). In this book Oong discusses the historical development of pencak silat, the 4 aspects of pencak silat and the social aspects of pencak silat.

I found it quite difficult to get hold of the book in the Netherlands, so I have bought it on the internet:

http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/titles/33936.htm

Garuda...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I would also recommend ALL of the books previously mentioned. If you already have the one by Howard Alexander, that's not a bad thing as it's almost impossible to find these days. The problem with that one is that you do not do Silat as you mentioned so it might be hard to get a feel for the art from the book. I would also recommend any book by William Sanders.

The thing with Silat is that it's better to see someone skilled actually do it which is why you're best bet outside of a class would be to watch a video. There are some excellent videos out there. I realize you asked this question back in January. I responded due to Garuda's excellent recommendation of today. I'm actually reading that book now.

10. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hi all

I'm a hung gar student but was recommended to look at some of Bob Orlando's stuff by a fellow hung gar student as he says his flow drills and technique progression stuff is very good. I've therefore ordered his Fighting Arts of Indonesia videos. From what you've said he seems to be worth it - anyone know more about these vids in particular?

Cheers
    Paul

11. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Just got Bob Orlando video from amazon (very quick!!) and its very good. I would recommend as a good introduction to silat/kuntao principles and techniques (as much as a hung gar student can recommend silat/kuntao!!).

Paul

12. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

If you're interested in Silat videos, go to the "best Silat videos in the world" thread for more information.

13. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Jordan, the best way to learn Silat is to find yourself a school. It is the same as other MA style too. Silat is not that simple. You need to see and understand than you can apply it. There is only a few(maybe) books about Silat is published. As you know Silat have a lot of diff styles. There's over 1000 styles of Silat in Indonesia. This is only in Indonesia alone. So that's why there's only a few books about it. The best thing to do is like I said find yourself a school. :D

Intan :Angel:

14. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Description of O'ong Maryono's book
    Pencak Silat in the Indonesian Archipelago
    by O'Ong Maryono
    Price: US$23.95
    Format: Paperback, 398 pages
    About This Book
    O'ong Maryono devoted a good part of his life to the study and practice of the martial arts. For eight years starting in 1979, he was the undisputed Indonesian and international champion on pencak silat. He was also the national heavyweight tae kwon do champion in the 1980s. This book is the English translation of the revised 1998 integrated study of pencak silat, the martial art found in Indonesia and other Malay societies. Pencak silat seems to have evolved in the Riau Archipelago in the 7th century and its history is traced through to the national and international associations and forces, which practise the art today. Other aspects of the martial art are considered: performance, artistic and style conventions; the spiritual dimension; the place of masters or gurus; and pencak silat's role in contemporary society. An immense amount of cooperative work has been geared into this clearly-presented study.

Many of his articles in the history section of the book can be found at
    http://www.kpsnusantara.com/
    There's also a more indepth description of his book in the english speaking forum in the same link.
    In my opinion, probably the most scholarly, well written book on Pecak Silat available. Not a book on fighting principles and techniques, but a phenomenal resource on the history, spirituality, social role, competition, and artistic/performance aspects of Pencak Silat in Indonesia.

15. mdz81

mdz81 Valued Member

Hi!
    I would like to know your opinion about this books:
    Pentjak Silat Serak™ Jurus 1 - 9, Volume 1”
    “Pentjak Silat Serak™ Sambuts 1 - 15, Volume 1”
    “Pentjak Silat Serak™ Sambuts 15-30, Volume 2”
    THE BOOK OF SERAK - “SERAK THE TSUNAMI”

Thanks.

16. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Good books, if you like Pentjak silat Serak.
    If your not specificly intrested in Serak I would get
    Pencak Silat in the Indonesian Archipelago
    by O'Ong Maryono
    or
    Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia
    by Don Draeger

17. mdz81

mdz81 Valued Member

Thanks for the recommendations Crucible, but I have both books (and now I´m reading O´ong Maryono book).
    I´m very interested in Silat Serak but I live very far away from any Serak Guru or instructor.

Thanks.

18. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Do you have any experience in VDT Serak? Its a wonderful system but I wouldn't recomend those books unless you've seen it applied and have been walked through the system some. Pak Vic does have a correspondence course that you might consider. I had friend get quite good flying down once in a blue moon to train with Pak Vic and spending the rest of the year doing Jurus on his own. I think the systems designed to build alot of muscle memory even on your own.
    You could purchase one of the tapes and mimic his movements along with having the books, but nothings gonna do what actual instruction will do for you. I'd recommend at some piont in time making your way down to a actual Serak school, even if its only once a year.

19. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

By the way, Pak Vic writes like he talks. So it takes a few readings to make it through the book. My feeling with the first book, "Serak, the Tsunami", is that he had alot to say and so he kind of just downloaded it in one book. It can occur very jumbled and haphazard. The other books are alot clearer since they cover specific things. The pictures in the sambut and Jurus books really do piant a step.1, step2 type picture. But again it wont convey the subtlety. For that you need a real human being. Hope that helps.
    By the way where do you live?

20. mdz81

mdz81 Valued Member

I haven´t any previous experience in Serak, I have a pair of Serak tapes: one from Steve Plinck and another from Pak Vik with Dan Inosanto. I saw the correspondence course of Pak Vik webpage but I think that this things don´t come out well (anyway I have in mind try it after the summer).
    I live in Madrid,Spain(in Europe) and I suppose that the nearest instructor lives in Paris.
    I would like to know if anyone have the 25 Serak tapes collection and his opinion.
    Thank for your help.