Sikaran & Yaw Yan

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ranger, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanlu99

wanlu99 Yaw-Yan and MuayThai Fan

Yaw-Yan in Thailand

For any serious striker...Im sure you will agree with me that Thailand is probably the best place to test your skills...

Yaw-Yan sent fighters in Thailand and won their fights...this is documented by the Thai Government and even posted in some MuayThai sites...

Ive never heard of a Sikaran fighter who fought in Thailand representing his style...

UNSOFI MARTIAL ARTS FOOTBOXING CLUB PRESENTS
    KICKBOXING "THE REVIVAL"

June 5, 2004 - 7:30pm - Mandaue Sports Complex, Cebu

Main EVENTS
    RYAN Solana (Yaw-Yan, Cebu) vs JERMIN Lazo (arcomjukai)
    RENATO Noblefranca (Yaw-Yan, Cebu) vs ADAMSON Torbiso (Durex Dragon)

Special EVENTS
    Jerry Adolfo (Yaw-Yan, Cebu) vs Melvin Ordona (cmac)
    Jonathan Arobo (durex dragon) vs Victor Catubig (cmac)
    Patric Lapingcao (unsofi) vs Jimmy Gonhora (arkomjun)

Our fighters fight in almost any Kickboxing tournament on a regular basis...fighting other styles...Sikaran fights against Sikarans for their competitions are only by themselves...ala TKD.

The recent Mano Mano Event in ULTRA was dominated by Yaw-Yan fighters

The URCC showcased a lot of Yaw-Yans...yes we dont win in all our outings...but YAW-YAN NEVER backs- out from a fight.

Its a sport and most certainly an Art...we should look at it that way...gone are the pathetic days when one will say my snake style is superior than your drunken style...

Lets grow up ...

My respect to all of you...

Wanlu

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I've been told that the fights in Ong Bak: Thai Warrior more resemble Yaw Yan than straight Muay Thai. Can you guys comment on that? If so, did that scorpion kick appear in the film?

- Matt

3. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

The Fighting 'styles' in Ong Bak is straight up Muay Boran-old style Muay Thai and Ling Lom-contains the whole of Muay Boran plus all the other elements that Muay Thai left behind on its journey to become a pure stand up art, Ie Groundwork, takedowns, Rolling, many more locks, throws, cranks etc.

Muay Boran and Ling Lom are markedly different in some ways from Modern Muay Thai, Matt, that's why it looks different to Modern Muay Thai on film.

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Cool SoKKolab. Thanks for the feedback on that.

- Matt

5. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Yaw Yan has always had an open challenge similar to what the Gracies have had. Anyone is always welcome to come visit their gyms. Many have done so and walked away with their tails between their legs. Back down from a challenge? Never! Yaw YAn has always posted such challenges in newspapers for money to even back it up. I have never seen sikaran do so. If you put them side by side I would dare say that Sikaran looks more like TKD and Yaw YAn more on the Muay Thai side....Who do you think heads MuaY Thai Philippines? A Yaw Yan practitioner. There is a lot of political problems with this but Muay Thai has international backing. MOst Yaw YAninstas would go where the money is. In terms of who beats who in tournaments Yaw Yan has a tougher rules of combat. The training is very dependent on who is teaching. I study silat and leg development is very improtant but I have trained under a direct student of master Nap And even trying to keep up with their explosive leg work is hard to do...but you must understand why this is so..to truely train under Master NAp is to live in the temple and tain night and day..No special secret just hard core training. How else could you send a delegate of fighters to Thailand knowing what Muay Thai is all about and come out with a good record? . What's the diference between this style and Muay Thai camps? Yaw YAn has to be better to prove itself against. They know the Muay Thai game. The genius is within the Man. They train with this in mind. There is combat and sport and Master Nap has done his fair share of traveling around and learned many grappling and striking arts...hims calim to fame? The fact that he studied several arts and then dare to challenge the arts way of conventional fighting. Even today he still comes up with nuances to improve upon what is already in place. The yaw Yan heavy bag is along something to conquer. I have heard that comparissons to the ong bak movie and yaw yan too.."the we have that too is obvious but one thing...they are as flexible as the guy in the movie so thus the form when he does his kicks and elbows begs to form comparissons. Unfortunately Master Nap is not a business man nor is he a good promoter of his art that could keep it sustained like TAe KWon Do or Karate do is promoted in the Philippines thus still being more popular than other arts. He's Just a gifted fighter with insights that are unique. We hope that in today's world with media being the way it is (videos, internet) the informationm age is so fast that Yaw Yan willl get a second chance for all to see what It is and not what it was. Yaw Yan has to give it a second try with their founder and not keep on living in the stories of the past. Zapata, kobayashi, Boy Garcia, their prime days are gone with their youth. It's time for new blood to rise from their founder and once again play thier music for all to hear and see their "Dance of death" -saYAW, ng kamataYAN
    Mabuhay!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

that's what keep telling them!

btw, matt, yes, yaw yan has that same scorpion kick and the batted chambered kicks that the guy used in ong bak (as against old muay thai that use unchambered batting kicks).

7. Tomanak

Tomanak Nil Desperendum

In my opinion, this analogy/comparison would be the most accurate. Sikaran is quite acrobatic and "flowing" as compared to Yaw-Yan, while Yaw-Yan is more linear and compact (except of course for that Scorpion Kick).

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

very well put.

9. aliban

aliban New Member

Greetings brothers and friends in FMA.

No disrespect to our brothers in Sikaran, both are FMAs, both were good in its' own ways, but both are not created for the same purpose, and both has its' own distinct characteristics.

The best way to compare is to actually observe the distinct fighting methods and training of Sikaran vs. Yaw-Yan, respectively i.e., pulled reverse karate type punches as opposed to concise boxing methods, clipped tkd style kicks prior to delivery (note: power from leg/knee retractions, telegraphed movement, kicks are snaps) vs. direct full power kicks (note: hip power, short committed delivery, kicks are thrusts), no punches on the head as opposed to contact sparring, time spent on kata as opposed to time spent on shadow or contact sparring again, etc. or the weaponless style of baton twisting as opposed to Uno-Terros style of direct hits... definitely apples and oranges.

Then again, in Aklan? How many Sikaran fighters do you think would dare defy the odds against Yaw-Yan in Full-Contact? I was a long time friend and acquiantance of Sikaran's Florito Nieto, a 5th degree blackbelt from Gapan and Armando DeVilla, a 3rd Degree instructor from San Juan. 'had asked them this questions before, they humbly said it's "suicide". Sikaran is just not cut out to bat it out with Yaw-Yan, and that's a factual & honest truth my friend.

Perhaps the other not-so-smart sikarans were those who must've listened to your friend's slogan and worse even went against Yaw-Yan's Emiliano Zapata, wrong move, should've rather listened first to reasons rather than coming to their senses last... imagine those dudes not being able to eat solids for years with broken jaws, I guess their hands are just not accustomed to protecting their IQs, have yet to hear anymore sikarans going up the ring with yaw-yans again since.

OK, I'll stop here, don't mean to offend or put down our other brothers and kababayans, just trying to point out the differences and why that slogan makes no sense.

See you guys around...

10. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

11. danceofdeath

yeah. but i bet that he didnt mention even a single win versus a yawyan figher. clearly, the quote is just sikaran's desperate way of getting back at yawyan for making sikaran fighters their own punching dummy.

well u could simply ask your friend if he has a win against a yawyan fighter. lol. the truth will set him free. hehe.

and finally, try to ask him and his sikaran friends their definition of suicide. their answer will surely be "fighting a yawyan kickboxer"

12. wanlu99

Lets close this thread

lets close this thread please...enough has been said and lets not turn friends into unwanted enemies...
    Its unfair for our Sikaran friends for I have not seen a message actually posted by a sikaran to give their side of the topic...the original post if you read it was not even posted by a sikaran...hes just a fellow who has a sikaran friend remember...

Im sure In due time, a Sikaran fighter or follower will post their side of the matter and it would be best if its via a new thread.

Just a suggestion...

Wanlu

13. danceofdeath

yeah. sorry bout the last post.

14. Lemery_steel

Lemery_steel New Member

many kickboxing styles in Philippines

There are many kickboxing styles in the Philippines and surely no one can say they are the best. Yes yaw yan has defeated bakbakan fighters, but have they ever suffered a defeat from bakbakan? A style no one has mentioned is a style my friends from Cebu have done. It is called tat kun tao. They tell me that one of their instructors, Rolly Tadefa, has even defeated the great Emiliano Zapata of yaw yan. Is this true ?

15. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Mga kababayan, (fellow countrymen)

Let's not start this system against system thing. We're all FMA in view of the international public. Hold true to your system, Hold true to your beliefs, train hard, test it out . Leave the politics behind. It is the very reason we are not united in our own land. If you have a beef with someone use the pm's because you represent your system when you air out your gripes .
    In the end this is cyberspace and claims are made bodly with the absence of a people to back up your claims so skills don't mean anything here so let's keep in mind that you represent not only your art but your people. (in reference to that embarassing post made by a pinoy in another thread)

Astig kung astig hwag lang pahiyain ang reputasyon ng Pinoy.
    Tough if tough just don't embarass the reputation of a Filipino- THERE! It's just not the same!

@#$%$%&-deleted!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

This is an English speaking forum.

Please don't post in another language, and don't use profanity!

17. wanlu99

Tat Kun Tao?

Posted by lemery steel: A style no one has mentioned is a style my friends from Cebu have done. It is called tat kun tao. They tell me that one of their instructors, Rolly Tadefa, has even defeated the great Emiliano Zapata of yaw yan. Is this true ?

Not true at all...attached are pictures of Rolly Tadefa being punished and eventually knockedout by Emiliano Zapata at the Rizal Memorial Colseum...

I dont know Tat Kun Tao but if Rolly Tadefa is teaching that style, then it must be a good style. I have been with Rolly Tadefa in the days when we were forming The Philippine Footboxing Fedeation (PFBF) with other kickboxing greats like Robert Pineda of Takadi, Franco Guerero of Kalasag,Tony Plotria of Matcop, Monching Gavileno of Combat Aikido and of course Master Nap of Yaw-Yan etc etc...Rolly Tadefa is a good man and hes honest, if you ask him about his fights with Zapata, he will tell you the truth. Dont ask his students, its always hard for a student to admit that his instructor was defeated by another fighter...

The last thing I remember about Rolly was when he was with Star Samson Gym in del Monte QC...training Movie actor Ian Veneracion and his fighter Domingo Catampatan who was also defeated several times by Emiliano Zapata. Domingo's brother another Catampatan was defeated by Leo Ero of Yaw-Yan.

I agree that there are lots of styles in the Philippines and no style can really claim they are the best...thats why I dont say Yaw-Yan is the best...I just think so.

Yes Yaw-Yans dont win in all their fights...but dominating the full contact scene since the mid 1970's is not a bad record for Yaw-Yan dont you think so...

Thanks for your interest in Yaw-Yan

Wanlu

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  18. krys

krys Valued Member

Kun Tat Tao is a hybrid chinese-filipino system developped in Cebu....
    It is an offshot of Ngo Cho Kun kung fu and Balintawak arnis.....

19. danceofdeath

its TAT KON TOU. it was represented by arnel arancina in URCC. im pretty sure that ive seen one of their gyms near EDSA-CUBAO.

mabuhay ang yawyan (long live yawyan)

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

quick! someone close this before....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.