Side Splits - Knee Pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JohnnyBoy10, Nov 6, 2014.

1. JohnnyBoy10

JohnnyBoy10 New Member

When I do the side/straddle splits, I get pain on the inside of the right knee, probably the medial collateral ligament, it’s difficult to be sure. As a result, I can’t stretch the muscles because the ligament acts as the limiting factor.

I have tried warming up thoroughly on numerous occasions, both through aerobic exercise and direct heat, I try pointing my knees and feet up to the ceiling when doing the splits, I try adjusting the angle of my body, all to no avail. With regard to rest, I try the splits, and after I can’t get past the pain, I give up for about 1 or 2 years, so rest is certainly not the issue here.

Dynamic stretching (side raises) yields the same problem, that is, the ligament being stretched, not the muscle.

I’ve had this pain for well over 10 years, at this point I find it difficult to believe there is a solution because it hasn’t healed after leaving it alone for 2 years, but I am asking on this forum so I can receive a definitive answer from someone who has had the same injury as me. This way I can decide whether or not to abandon the pursuit of flexibility altogether.

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts advice.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Have you consulted any professionals to determine if it is indeed an injury, or just weakness?

Your symptom is common in people whose leg muscles are not strong enough to keep the knee joint in a stable position during side splits. Ligaments take up the slack when muscles are too weak.

I would recommend that you invest time in a good, basic weight lifting program: one such as Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe), which includes "big" lifts like squats and deadlifts, is ideal.

You may also Google "MCL rehab exercises" for physical therapy techniques to directly strengthen your knee ligaments.

For side splits specifically, you can do isometric/PNF stretches but focus on strength gains over ROM gains. Slide out to a range that is comfortable and apply a strong, steady contraction. Focus the tension on the inside of your knees. Over several weeks and months you should feel your knee pain ease up.