Sick of It.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wilson, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

Hey how's everyone?

I do MMA and Muay Thai, I wiegh 143 lb, 6'2, and im 16 years old.

Everyone in my MMA class is about 160 lb+. I'm really tired of being skinny and I feel like it is holding me back from being an effective fighter/training partner. When somone else and I train i'm easily removed from my mount and they usually follow up with saying "wow you're really light."

I am looking into taking a dietary supplement such as creatine. So my question is, Is there somthing better than creatine that I can take? Also I am not looking to get body builder big, I just want to get up to 160-170 lb

My second request is could somone tell me some workouts I can do after I take the dietary supplement?

thank you.

2. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Wison,
    watch out for someone to say the magic words.
    Squat, Dead lift, Olympic lifts.

Those will help not only with weight, but also with strength.

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

lol its funny cause i have a build pretty much identical to what you described. a little under 6,2 and a little over 140. I have done some working out, eat differently, i couldn't change anything though. Maybe the answer to you question will help me too. I haven't tried supplements, maybe i should.

4. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

Dude, you're just a little light, at least you have height to work with. I'm 5'7" 135lbs. I just managed to put on 10 lbs recently, I'm shooting for 10 more lbs before summer....
    My solution was just to crank out the protein intake, push it up to about 130 grams a day, and start working out harder.

Kintanon

5. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

The one way to gain weight is to eat more calories. The only supplement that would help you is a specific weight gain protein shake (like Mammoth or whatever its called). High carbs, high protien and high calories.

But your better off just eating more.

6. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Ok, drop one of them and do weightlifting instead. You're severely underweight for your height.

Creatine is a start but more importantly, eat lots and lots of food.

7. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Indeed.

Most people know this, but what they don't understand is just how much "more food" is. Eat more food than you could possibly imagine that you could eat, and eat this way every day. Start by upping the number of meals every day. Shoot for 4, 5, and then 6 meals a day. The meals need not be big, perhaps even smaller than you're eating now. After you can eat 6 meals a day, start working on the amount of food in each meal. Eventually, you should end up eating as much or more food in each meal as you would with 3 meals a day. This is the most important part of gaining weight. If you're naturally skinny like I am, you're going to have to dedicate your life to eating. Shoot for 4000-6000 calories a day.

Of course, you don't want to turn it all into unnecessary fat, which won't help you much with martial arts anyway. Start lifting weights if you don't already. Squats and deadlifts are the numbers one and two lifts. Military presses are good as well. Bench press is OK. Pullups/chinups and dips are excellent as well. When they start getting too easy, get a weight belt and start weighting them. Olympic lifts can be good as well but be sure to have good form (as with any exercise, but especially in olympic lifts as the technique is more complex.)

Eat foods high in casein protein, such as cottage cheese and milk, before bed. Eating before bed may not be the best idea if you're trying to lose weight, but for gaining mass it's important. If you get accustomed to eating 6 meals a day, your body will be used to eating every 2-3 hours, and the approximately 8 hours that you should be spending sleeping will be a shock to your body. Protein is the building block of muscle, and sleep is one of the primary times that muscle is being built. Supplying yourself with slow-digesting protein (casein, found in dairy products) before sleep will help you gain muscle and not let your work in the gym go to waste.

Post workout, whey protein is a good choice. Whey digests much more quickly than casein, and when you've just finished a workout, your muscles are starved of nutrients. Get them the protein they need. Carbohydrates are also important post-workout. I believe a good ratio is 2:1 in favor of carbohydrates.

Oatmeal is an excellent breakfast, and breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, if not the most important. You should also be sure to include protein in your breakfast (and at every meal.) Be sure to eat breakfast. Breakfast is important.

8. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i'm in the same situation as you, but i've been working on it since early february and have gone from about 150 to about 165. it's not easy for naturally skinny people, but it's definitely possible...just eat lots of food, get plenty of rest, and work out hard.

9. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

For the love of Pete, how do you not break something when you sneeze??? :eek: I'm your height and I have 70 pounds on you, and I still (occasionally) think I'm on the small side.

No. You are not allowed to take creatine. I am officially, in writing, forbidding it. I'm not joking (much). Dude, the only supplement you need is a big jar of peanut butter, spoon optional. You need calories, calories, calories. Peanut Butter, roast beef, whole eggs, steak, chicken (any part, with the skin), whole milk, nuts, bagels, and oatmeal should be your army of new friends. Right now, the only thing I would even consider having you buy at a GNC or nutrition store, is some protein powder.

First, you're going to start lifting weights now, not after you start eating right. Not after you start with supplements", but now. As in, shut down the computer, go to your garage, and find something heavy to pick up. Go 'head, I'll wait here.

Now that you've done that a bit, you're going to find a way to get $150 from your parents so you can buy a 300-pound barbell set. Do chores, poromise to work, beg them, whatever (except steal, obviously). Check back once you've gotten it. Any lifting you do at this point will only help.

10. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

Listen to BeWater. Do everything he says. You've got a LONG way to go before you have to start thinking about anything other than eatting more and picking up heavy objects.

Kintanon

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Instead of taking creatine, start lifting. If you eat without lifting, you will get fat. You don't want fat, you want muscle. Lift and eat more. No suppliments. I was 5'10" and 145 and now I am 5'10" and 160lbs. No BS suppliments. Only lifting and eating more.

12. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the supplements. No. You do not need supplements. I have gained over 30 pounds since last September and nearly tripled my deadlift and squat, while more than doubling my bench press (it sounds impressive until you learn what I started with...) And all this time, I have not used a single supplement. If you are going to use supplements, go for some whey protein powder or an EFA supplement.

13. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I went from a puny 145lb 5' 8" to a somewhat less puny 175lb 5' 8" w/o any supplements except some whey.

Just find a good lifting program (non-bodybuilding) and eat a lot of food.

Also, you dont have to add that you dont want to be bodybuilder big. Just about 99% of the population dont want to look like how pro bodybuilders look today. Besides, its damn near impossible for the average person to get that big even with bucketloads of growth hormones and roids and etc.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  14. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Haha, gotta say, thats the best post ive seen in a while BWMF.
    Anywho, everybody seems to have touched on the nutrition, so heres about a program.

Day 1:
    Bench press
    Pull ups
    Standing military press
    Squats
    Hammer Curls
    Seated Calf raise

Day 2:
    Incline press
    Upright rows
    Deadlifts
    Seated military press
    Tricep pushdowns
    Leg curls

Day 3:
    Parrallel bar dips
    Lat pulldown
    Pull ups
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Side dumbbell raises.

This is my program. Its got a bit more than is necessary because i have a lot of time. You can only do two days if you want, aslong as you include the key exercises. See the first 4 exercises on each day, these are the compound lifts. They are all youll need to get big and strong. Do these twice a week, lift heavy and with good form and you will see progress. Post something in the fitness routine questions section if you want a specific routine. But if you use exercises like the example above, no muscle will go untouched.

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

You skinny SOB's whining make me sick LOL. I'm 5'10 210 lbs and would love to drop 30 lbs. However I just like FOOD too much.

just EAT you lucky basteds! :woo:

16. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

the best diet addition out there is more food! :D

meat and pototoes never harmed anyone!
    (except vegetarians and the atkins diehards) :p

17. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

I am also 5'7 135....and I am happy with my weight/size...and my even have to drop 5 lbs for competetions...and because I train with people a lot bigger then me a lot of the time it definately helps me when I am up against someone my size... :Alien:

18. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

I hate people wanting to put on weight!

HAVE SOME OF MINE!!!!!

19. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I think you kinda go the idea of what to do to put on size!! Eat, lift and then eat some more. Your doin the right thing, getting the advice before you start meanin you wont have stuff to correct when you realise what you were doin was wrong.

Stick to big compound lifts, those previously mentioned bench, squat, deadlift ets. Get yo ass to a gym and get stuck in. I personally like to supplement those with my bikini exercises, but you don't have to. Do all this and you get big, you get strong and you get to grunt a lot, my personal favourite.

20. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

First of all you want a gram to lb ratio of 1-2 times your bodyweight in protein
    i.e. 140 lbs = 140-280 grams a day. Let yourself gain some fat. Burn it off when you're done trying to increase weight.

This diet is incredible. http://www.ironworkout.com/20_rep_squat.htm
    It worked for me 100%. I gained 15 pounds in a month from this. No joke.

Just hard work every other day is key. Keep your reps low, and keep increasing weight, but make sure you have enough time to recover.

The supplement I use is GNC's whey banana cream. It tastes great for a protein shake and has a good amount of protein. Drink milk with every meal.

Im just telling you what worked for me. I gained 30 pounds since the start of the school year and have whittled down all the fat I gained. I didn't use anything that wasn't mentioned here. Good luck.