ShurikenJutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kof_Andy, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Anyone practice ShurikenJutsu with Katana? Is a very old sword throwing technique which no one really teaches any more. I have a old katana I dont really want anymore, I been practicing that for fun sometimes. Is actually not that hard, Katana are very good throwing weapon. There weight and balance make perfect short distanct throwing weapon. At 15 feet range I can get it to stick on trees, but not quiet that accurate at the moment. Dont attempt this if anyone is around to be a potential target tho.;)

2. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

I guess if you have a junk one to throw around its okay, but I value my blades way too much to toss it around. The katana doesnt handle lateral stress real well on the blade and I can imagine it only takes a few throws to put a nasty bend into it. There are other weapons designed so they were MEANT to be thrown, ie shurken, spikes and some knives. throwing a katana is like using a wrench to drill a hole.

3. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

We throw Zai - the techniques can be found in many kata.

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well I didnt expect to read about sword throwing, but hey sounds cool. I found an old print form a fetchbuch showing how to throw a sword by holding it by the cros gaurd and hrling it underhanded like spear almost.
    How do you throw your katana? I have a junk katana and a junk wakisashi and Im bored of throwing knives.

5. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

I just throw it as how I hold a katana, but I handed. Kinda like throwing a stick for your dog. It worked so far, but I'll look into it more, cuz I doubt I'm doing it right. ^_^

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Well if it sticks then you must be doing something right.