shudokan

Discussion in 'Karate' started by BKJ1216, Mar 8, 2003.

1. BKJ1216

BKJ1216 New Member

Anyone study shudokan? What do you think of it? I'm planning on begging it on the 12 of may.

2. Ohtar

Ohtar New Member

I have to admit I've never heard of this style, so I would also like to know something about it. ;)

3. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I think he said shUDOkan, not shOTOkan ;)

Welcome to the forums guys!

Col

5. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Shidokan is fun. I hope he means Shidokan.

6. Jamo

Jamo New Member

BKJ1216,

Sounds like you might have started already, but I'll give my 2 cents worth on it...

Location can be a big factor in the quality of instruction of Shudokan Karate. I, myself, was trained (in Alaska) under So-Shihan Charles Scott (8th Deg BB). He is, by far, the best instructor that I have ever had. His training is very challenging and very complete, with equal emphasis on Kata and Kumite, as well as a lot of 'rounding' with Jujitsu and Kung Fu influences. The only things I would say is lacking there would be emphasis on the White Crane Kung Fu forms that were a major influence for this flavor of Karate. I don't necessarily think we needed them, but I'm a Kata/Forms addict...I would invite any introduction/teaching of various forms.

Now, if you're going to a dojo in the Pacific Northwest...they DO have those missing forms, but I've been confessed to by one of the head instructors that their Kumite is not very strong. This part worries me, because if you can't develop a strong Kumite base...how in the heck are you going to perform when you need to protect yourself?

Like my Aikido Sensei has told me many times, "All in all, fried rice is still fried rice...no matter who cooks it." The style of Karate is not of major importance, as opposed to the teaching style (& curriculum) of the instructor. If he has a good way with his students, and he personally challenges you, then he could very well be a good pick.

Sekai No Karate Do,

Jamo

P.S.: For those of you that have never heard of Shudokan, here is a basic rundown. Shudokan Karate-Do means, "The Institute for the Cultivation of the Way of Karate." It was started in Okinawa by Soke Kanken Toyama in the 1930s. He was a fellow student with Gichen Funakoshi, the founder of Shotokan, although he had a couple of other instructors as well...including a Chinese Master that taught him the art of White Crane Kung Fu.

Shudokan is emphasized by great power, deep stances, and dynamic movements. For more info, you can go to:

http://www.wkf.org/shudokan.html

http://www.yakimakarate.com/web/history.html

And here is the website for my home dojo:

http://www.ika-alaska.com

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Shotokan, Shudokan, Shidokan?

Try saying that three times quickly.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

THAT THAT THAT

Not a problem :D

9. Jamo

Jamo New Member

BKJ1216,

According to one of the links I posted, there is some other Shudokan dojos in the Central/Eastern U.S. My instructor was taught out of Chicago, whereas Shihan Caldwell teaches out of Ohio.

So what town is your Shudokan dojo in? Do they have a website?

Jamo

10. Jamo

Jamo New Member

Yoda,

You've just shown that you still have much to learn...the proper answer is, "that three times quickly." :)

Jamo