Show who you are. And how you are training ''Thread''

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ChangNam, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Hello to you all. I am just a average guy. I am 31 years old now. But still have passion and love for Martial Arts.

I like to see my self on video. And get feed back from others. This way i can see for my self. And listen from others. What i do wrong and what i have to do different. To improve my training.

So i started this thread. Hoping some of you would post up some training videos. Can be bag,pads,mitts or any kind of condition drills. BUT NO SPARRING !

THERE IS A THREAD HERE ALL READY ABOUT SPARRING. I WILL ADD THE LINK UNDER..

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99459

So to all you guys here on this forum. Not be shy to post up your workouts. If you want to improve your game. It does not matter how good or bad you are. But about getting feedback from others. And improve your own training to be a better MA student or maybe a fighter.

I will add a video first. This is me doing some bag work only. And i hope others will post up some training videos to ;)

Thanks !!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b17KEZrSVwI"]YouTube - Muay Thai Bag Work[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Guess i am totally gay ha :)

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There's already quite a big members workout thread mate might be why there's not many replies

4. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

If so my mistake.. Thanks for letting me know !!
    Strange no one added the link to that thread...

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

6. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah this could be a good thread as well... a bit of a different flavor... *runs off to dig up padwork and bag work pix
    :p

8. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Yes something like that ;-)

9. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

I've been meaning to make one for a while... I'm going to try and make one next week, so if I do, I will post it up

10. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Cool always nice to see. If you not uploading them. Just keep them for your self. And look at your progress. I see allot changes from what i have been doing. And i film my self maybe 2-3 times every 6 month or so. After you can look back at your self. And really understand and see for your self. That you have been approving in what you are doing ;-)

This gives me allot motivation. And we all have ups and downs. And when i have my down periods. Do i try to motivate my self. Looking at some old training movies. To give my self a boost or call it what ever you want,,..

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You've another video on MAP where you work out on the bags and a training partner. I like that one alot. Whenever my son gets knackered with his training, I 'ave him to watch it - " this is how you ought to go at it".

12. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpe_Tj69oWc"]YouTube - Muay Thai training in Thailand[/ame]

13. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

This is a good video right here.

Only thing i can think of to nitpick about is that you tend to drop your hands when you knee. I like telling people about this because i got damn near KO'd because of it (I lucked out and the guy punched me in the forehead instead of my face)

14. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Thanks for letting me know. I know it's many things i need to work with. I have bad guard and my boxing technique is not so good. There is allot talking about knees vs elbows. And knees vs punches and kicks. But that's the risk that comes with it i think. Many techniques in MA that is scary. Because you are making your self open for a counter punch or what ever ;-)

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Getting a lot of mileage out of just two videos Chang.

16. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Thats fun! Maybe I will get the nerve to take a video...I'm so self conscience lol

17. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Oh I'll definitely post them up - don't mind looking like a fool over the internet :p. The only reason I've never made one before is lack of decent camera equipment, but now I have access to some pretty serious camera's from my university's equipment store, so am gonna be going wild with the camera work in the coming weeks :D

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Just out of curiosity, what do you incorporate as far as your training goeth? Obviously, the regimes that accompany Muay Thai, but others that aren't normally associated such as running, cross-country/orienteering, climbing, weight-training, swimming, etc., anythin' out of the ordinary?

"... i started with Karate and jumped over to Taekwondo, i did this because it was closer to me, some years later did i try Kickboxing, and i realy loved it, i was picking things up quickly, because of my back ground from Karate and Taekwondo, kicks was almost the same, ..."

Did you find that by having a background in TKD, being able to do the spin kicks, 360's and the like, though not practical in a sense, gave you a unique edge when you did finally take up kickboxing/Muay Thai?

I'd noticed something in your training vid, though you were doing strict Muay Thai, there was something different present than in most kickboxing I've seen - I couldn't quite put me finger on it, 'till I'd read that you'd done TKD before - the ease that you had with machine-gun kicks ( what're they called?), you're not straining to get your kicks up - as I've seen with a lot of kickboxing - even though the respective kick-boxers may be very, very good.

Conversely:

What'da think if you turned tails now and went back to TKD, now? How do you think it ( your present training in Muay Thai/Kickboxing ) would affect how you'd do in a WTF, ITF style tournament? Mauy Thai is such an aggressive, in-your-face-bam-bam-bam way of doing things, innit?? I counldna think of a better way of intimidating your potential opponents in a TKD or Karate tourney than to spend a year or two sabbatical in Muay Thai.

I'm fascinated with how the one of two differing styles or schools have this kind of maturing, seasoning effect on the other; bringing something intangible and subtle out of each style - that you'd not see if you'd studied the one method exclusively.

Just curious...

BTW, is your username from the namesake An Ch'ang-nam the first Korean Aviator (1901-1930) ?

Curious again...

19. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Cool :)

20. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Going from Karate or TKD to Kickboxing. Will help everyone out. Because then you have some understanding about what is going on. And you just need to change your foot stance. And try to switch over to the new style. Anyway the kicks are almost the same. But going from Kickboxing,Karate or TKD to Muay Thai is a big difference.

Going back to TKD now. Would be strange i think. The style is so light and have fast moving foot work. Thai is more relaxed and controlled.