Shoulders

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by STASH, Jun 20, 2002.

1. STASH

STASH New Member

I dislocated my shoulder a couple days ago. Have you ever seen Lethal Weapon where they put the guy up against a wall and jam it back in? Thats what my friends had to do to me! Now, it bothers me everday and it came out again this morning during an arm wrestle. The doctor doesnt really have much advice for it, he just says: "take it easy", do you guys have any suggestions. Is there anything I can take to make it stop popping out?

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Stop arm wrestling? I think the best thing for it would probably be *lots* of rest, painkillers and ice. Get it put in some form of sling if you can't keep it still just so that it gets some rest. If you keep using it, it'll get worse

Sarah

3. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

Ok, first thing you need to do, is rest the shoulder for a few weeks. I know it sucks and you want to train, but if you don't rest it, the shoulder will never heal. After it's healed up, you will want to restrengthen the muscles and rehab the tendons a bit. This is done by taking a light weight, say 5lbs, and slowly putting the shoulder through its various ranges of motion. Do this for sets.

Finally, I'd go and see a pysiotherapist or a sports injury doctor to see what they have to say. Your family doctor is a general practitioner more than likely, and although they are knowledgable, thier expertise isn't in sports injury medicine. It makes all the difference in the world to see the proper doctor, a GP is just that, a GENERAL PRACTITIONER.:)

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What mmafiter said! I did my knee a few years ago and rested it for about three weeks. Its worth it in the long run.

Thanx

5. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

true

exactly what freeformsaid ...i too popped my knee a few years ago snowboarding and i took 6 weeks off training...

rest easy....think hard

6. STASH

STASH New Member

Well, I just did a really stupid thing. My shoulder didnt feel that bad today and I happened to have a very important football game, there was no way I wasnt going to play. I fought so hard to get my starting position and I knew that if I missed this game then I might lose it. Everything was fine until the 2nd quarted when they ran a reverse my way (I'm an outside linebacker). Anyways, after I made the tackle it popped out again and I couldnt get anyone to put it back in because the offence called an audible and they were ready to go. So I had to make the next play with a disclocated shoulder and guess what? They ran it my way again. After the play was over we got a penalty because I was swearing like crazy from the pain, lol. I now realize how stupid I've been but atleast now the coach sees how bad it is and he has given me some time off.