Shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Jan 8, 2006.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Who here has shoulder pains? For some reason, my left shoulder has this pain all of a sudden, right on top. I think it's right where the clavicle sits on top of the actual ball and socket joint. When I lower my left arm like in a shoulder press, it "clicks", but when I retract my scapulae, and then try the lowering motion, it goes away. Think I just need some rotator cuff work or posture work? Can anybody explain this to me? My shoulders have been known to be very flexible as well (to the point that the joint "slips" almost like a dislocation, but not quite, it's still, for the most part, in the joint, just hurts a lot). Thanks guys.

Edit- now it's gone...and my shoulder feels 100%! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Lol yeah I wouldn't worry, people who do martial arts/weights etc will all get pains at some point. Last night I was in agony with my left shoulder after doing my weights, even though I did a good warm up and cool down. This morning it's fine. Most of the time you just gotta roll with these things.
    My personal rule is if you know it isn't just post workout soreness (which is easy enough to distinguish) and you have had it more than a week, get it checked out. Glad to hear your fine now though :p

3. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Well geez, glad to help. :rolleyes:

In general though, a bit of rotator cuff prehab work probably wouldn't be a bad idea (for most people who lift, whether they have "healthy" shoulders or not). Worst case scenario, you can try asking Cressey in his Locker Room at T-Nation. He's big on shoulder health.

4. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

your shoulders are ver important, trust me. i've had chronic shoudler pains since i was 13, im now 18. Ive been to rehab plenty of times but it always comes back when i start playing baseball or training too much. get it checked out now before it becomes a real problem.

5. GhostOfYourMind

I'll probably add rotator cuff rehab stuff into my off days then. It came back today btw. But right this moment it's fine. I have no idea. I'll probably give cressy's locker room a shot. I have a feeling this is partly because of my shoulder posture. They tend to slump forward, and I must make a conscience effort to keep them "back" (which is really where they're supposed to be on me). :rolleyes: Looks like I'll add a 4x3 of low cable rows to the neck/upper shoulder after my EDT stuff on push/pull days or something to help correct that.

6. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I agree with Pavel and older Russian texts, that posture is a skill which can be improved with practice. One trick I try to remember throughout the day is to walk with a "hotshot strut". That is, throw my shoulders back, inflate the chest just a bit, and walk as if I'm the Top Dog. It's a bit of a visualization, but it seems to work, especially when I find myself slumping from too many hours working on the computer.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Posture is almost at the base of the fitness pyramid for me, I think it's incredibly important. Proper posture will help prevent injury and increase your efficiency/performance in almost everything.

8. GhostOfYourMind

Thanks guys. I'll try the "hotshot strut" (LMFAO!!!!). Maybe I should consult my good ol' scrawny to brawny, and do some of the postural corrections in the beginning. Thanks again guys! (Once again, my shoulder now feels fine.. AH!!!)

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Post some pics up so you can get a critique. I could give you some tips on what to work on, makes it miles easier! PM them to me if you don't want to show :)