shoulder injury

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Chris_1987, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Chris_1987

Chris_1987 柔道

I've had a shoulder injury for about 3/4 weeks. I think its a rotator cuff injury. It gets stiff when i dont move it for a while, like when I wake up. At first i just trained on it (stupid i know) but now i'm just gonna rest it till i can use it without the uncomfortable feeling. Does anyone have any idea how long this type of injury will last? The pain is minimal if im honest but its very uncomfortable when i move my shoulder at certain angles

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I've found this book and the methods detailed within extremely useful for dealing with many sports related injuries:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759"]The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment for Pain Relief Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief: Amazon.co.uk: Clair Davies, Amber Davies: Books[/ame]

I had a shoulder (rotator cuff pain) injury for about a year, injury was most likely from a combination of MA + Work + Stress. Was going to a chiropractor 3-4 times a month, didn’t really help. Someone recommended this book to me and after familiarizing myself with the method (about 40 pages or so), I fixed my shoulder in about 2-3 days. Since then (5-6 years ago) I use it regularly whenever I feel any imbalance in my structure or get any soft tissue injury. Highly recommend it!

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Chiropractors are terrible. If it hurts bad gO to a doctor and get referred to a physio.

5. Chris_1987

Chris_1987 柔道

The pain is minimal like i said and is more of an uncomfortable feeling. i was hoping someone who has had a similar injury could give me a rough idea on healing time. as im unable to train my upper body at the moment without making it worse

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The problem is that shoulders are incredibly complex joints and in order to get a proper diagnosis and recovery plan you really need to see someone in the flesh. If it's a minor tweak it could be healed in a couple of weeks, if it's something more serious you could have problems for years to come. I had a shoulder impingement develop 2.5 years ago and my shoulder still doesn't like me doing certain movements (overhead presses and heavy benching).

Your best bet is a sports physio, preferably one who understands the stresses and strains lifting and martial arts place on the body.

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It might be there for good, until surgery which is another conversation all together. Best to have it looked at like Frodo suggests.

Personally, I have got to the point where I don't know what is injured and what is not, my body just adapts (I see it in my training partners too, the way we sit comfortably seems to be hunched up etc) I don't know the injuries are there until I try to do something that I don't typically do, like raise my hands above my head etc and my body says, no thank you.

8. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Recommend seeing a doctor. I have a permanent partial loss of use of my right shoulder. The shoulder is really tricky because it can be tough to diagnose and rehab some of the muscles and tendons since they are hard to access. Also, trite but true, A stitch in time saves nine.

9. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Yeah...honestly doctor. Not that these folks aren't helpful but when it comes to your body....

10. robert01

robert01 New Member

If you have any type of injury then try to no work out and rest properly and apply warm mustard oil massage on it.

11. sampla

sampla Valued Member

when I have a new injury, I just stop. from ma experience, if you don't stop, it can get worse, or chronic