Shoulder-area injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jabcrosshook, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Ok, so I was at judo today, and had a very bad landing. After being thrown, the other guy asked "are you okay?". I replied with a stern "NO". I realised something bad had happened.

I can move my arm (albeit slowly and painfully) but tthe problem seems to be in the lateral deltoid/traps area. If I shrug I get a sharp pain in my left traps, and if I move my arm towards the centre (think pectoral flies) I get the same sharp pain in my shoulder. What could I have done?

Now don't say ask the doctor because it's 2:35AM :p I'll buy some deepheat and more Nurofen in the morning. This is a big blow because I was due to compete on Saturday. Well that's out, so I'm more concerned with it getting better now. I can't sleep because it's too painful whenever I move in bed (I can't sleep on my back anyway :(). What I'm basically asking (in a long and drawn out way) is what the problem could be, how long it will/could last and how to best treat it. Trapped nerve maybe?

2. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Sounds like a seperated shoulder, a tear of the AC joint ligament. I've had this twice (one on each shoulder, haha), and mine took about 2 weeks to be able to use fully, and about 5 weeks for the pain to be completely gone.

It all depends on how badly it is injured. There is about 5 different 'grades' of injury, the worst three sometimes require surgery.

If its only slightly injured like mine was, its actually important to rest it for a while use it as much as possible otherwise it heals wrong and you get what is known as a 'frozen shoulder', which results in stiffness etc. You should definatlely go to the doctor and find out to what extent it is injured though.

When i did mine, personally i took about 3 weeks off judo, if you land on it badly again while it is weak its pretty likely you'd require surgery.

Go to the doctor.

3. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Here you go (theres more than 5 grades after all):

Type I Shoulder Separation:
    A type I shoulder separation is an injury to the capsule that surrounds the AC joint. The bones are not out of position and the primary symptom is pain.

Type II Shoulder Separation:
    A type II shoulder separation involves an injury to the AC joint capsule as well as one of the important ligaments that stabilizes the clavicle. This ligament, the coracoclavicular ligament, is partially torn. Patients with a type II separated shoulder may have a small bump over the injury.

Type III Shoulder Separation:
    A type III shoulder separation involves the same type of injury as a type II separated shoulder, but the injury is more significant. These patients usually have a large bump over the injured AC joint.

Type IV Shoulder Separation:
    A type IV shoulder separation is an unusual injury where the clavicle is pushed behind the AC joint.

Type V Shoulder Separation:
    A type V shoulder separation is an exaggerated type III injury. In this type of separated shoulder, the muscle above the AC joint is punctured by the end of the clavicle causing a significant bump over the injury.

Type VI Shoulder Separation:
    A type VI shoulder separation is also exceedingly rare. In this type of injury the clavicle is pushed downwards, and becomes lodged below the corocoid (part of the scapula)

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shouldersurgery/a/separation.htm

4. Thanks for that. It seems like I have the minor one :p The pain is still pretty much unbearable but there aren't any lumps/other signs.

I'm not even considering training at the moment! Thanks once again

5. Well, I've just ben to the doctor... useless as ever! He squeezed my shoulder and asked if I could flex & extend my elbow (that was never a problem!!!). When I could he said "you'll be fine". So I replied "I won't" and he perscribed me some tablets :bang: (There's an occasional side effect of ALOPECIA!!!). Oh well... I'll go to a physio some time.