Should this ad have been pulled?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by StevieB8363, Dec 10, 2011.

1. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

The below is an advertisement for "Nandos" chicken, that pokes fun at Robert Mugabe as the "Last Dictator Standing" (sadly not actually true).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38YWB8iX7OY&feature=related"]Nandos "Last Dictator Standing" directed by Dean Blumberg - YouTube[/ame]

It seems this ad has either been banned or canceled by Nando's. Now, while I fully agree that there is nothing funny about what Mugabe or any other dictator has done, I frankly see nothing wrong with making fun of them. I'm sure many of us have seen and laughed at various "Hitler" skits, I don't see why Mugabe or Gadaffi should be treated differently.

Thoughts/comments?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It got pulled because threats were made against Nando's staff by Mugabe loyalists, which was the most predictable outcome ever. It should never have been made.

3. StevieB8363

How do I imbed this video properly?

OK, fixed.

I agree, danger to staff is a valid reason for pulling it. No chicken dinner is worth dying for (even Nando's which is seriously delicious). But I was actually interested in people's views on the ad itself.

To expand on that: Most of us on this site live in safe western democracies. We have the luxury of holding dictators like Mugabe and Gadaffi in contempt - because we won't get brutally murdered for doing so. But those who have lived under that kind of oppression may well hold a different view. Some may be (understandably) to scared to even smile at it. Some may consider it offensive to make light of the barbarity practiced by these regimes. But some may well enjoy the humor, and long for the day when they can do so openly. I'm just curious as to what others think about this.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I lol'd at it, but yeah what Holyhead said....them be scary people. I'm passing this on me fb though

5. StevieB8363

You illustrate both points for me. Yes, it's funny (for us anyway). But the harsh reality is, it could get people killed if played in the wrong country. Which is why I expect people to have vastly differing views. My question is, Do you think there is anything "wrong" with the ad? Do you think it is "no laughing matter" or that it's an acceptable subject for humor?

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

He's in the news a fair bit here in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong government has no problem hosting dictators unfortunately. One of my PJ buddies was beat up by the bodyguards of Mugabe's wife. It was ridiculous. My mate is about the most non-threatening type there is... short, plump and mellow. Hong Kong government wouldn't let charges proceed. Unreal.

http://news.yahoo.com/mugabe-attends-daughters-graduation-hong-kong-054808541.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5goN-p3HAwC2bAPbxCixC2oYNXc4w

He's bum... so he fits right in with those running Hong Kong.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with the ad. Its a satire, its just that loyalists who are the 'victims' of the joke obviously dont find it funny...even less funny when they have the actual means to hurt people (guns, knives,amoral)
    Usually its just a letter/phone call to Ofcom (UK's recipient for people not liking what they see on telly).