Should Karate go back to its roots?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by kensai, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Blue Bloater

Blue Bloater New Member

kakushidi I agree.

Try telling all (a lot anyway) these Karate instructors that. I guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Andrew

I personally believe that the primary purpose of 19th century Okinawan Karate was to be a method of good health and longevity. Therefore the training methods would have been therapeutic in nature. But being able to fight would also be an important aspect, it is just another way of attempting to ensure longevity (ie. that you are able to survive violent confrontations, even better that you are able to avoid them in the first place).

Mike

3. stump

stump Supersub

as an aside...

<<<As for Muay Thai, what makes you think it was an art made for war? Surely an 'art of war' would teach about using the weapons of war, which might include things like blades, projectile weapons and firearms, rather than knees, elbows and shin kicks>>>

Mike, the weapons element of thai martial arts is called krabbi krabong and involves multiple weapons used singly and in combination...it's pretty rare nowadays but it does exist and can be found in Britain and Ireland.

Just taught you might be interested :)

4. Mike Flanagan

Thanks yes, I'd forgotten about that. But I don't think it detracts from my point. The modern sport of Muay Thai has little to do with preparing young men for war. Elements of it, such as weapons practice, may possibly have their origins in military training, but such training is very far removed from the modern day sport.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Mike

5. stump

stump Supersub

Wasn't disagreeing with you at all......I think it was probably designed to give off duty soldiers a way to stay fit, healthy and tough more than anything else. I think the greeks used to do the same with Pankration and wrestling...and I'll bet the modern armies encourage soldiers to undertake similiar training...not specifically for the direct benefits but again as a way to stay fit and healthy with benefits of unarmed combat thrown in. Just a thought....back to the thread though

6. Blue Bloater

Blue Bloater New Member

Even sport Muay Thai is still very effective for self-defense!

7. Mike Flanagan

Oh I don't doubt that for a moment. From what I've seen of it I'm sure it can be highly effective. I merely questioned whether modern Muay Thai was developed in order to prepare soldiers for was, as had been earlier implied.

I think Stump raises a good point about Pankration and wrestling. The relevance of such disciplines in the military is usually more about fostering stoicism and fitness, rather than effective self-defence. I believe the British army does ( or at least used to do) something similar with an exercise called 'milling'. This is like boxing but you're not allowed to block or dodge incoming blows. You just take it and give it back. Its not about self-defence, its about developing an indomitable spirit.

Mike

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yeah, that's right. Especially in the parachute regiment. It's really about measuring how much punishment you can take and recieve. I believe it's part of the test for 'p' company...

9. Adam

Adam New Member

I think Mike Flanagan might be right about Muay Thai. And if you did that milling thing every day, you would become almost impervious to damage after a few years I think. (as well as brain damaged)
    Much of the karate I took also seemed to be about building psychological punishment immunity and iron discipline, which is useful for ANY martial artist.
    Shihan: Adam, you will now stand still while I shin-kick you repeatedly on the the inner thigh.
    Me: Osu!

Shihan outweighs me by 15 kilo. yowwie!

Sounds retarded? Maybe it is. But it certainly built some strength of character in his students.

10. Blue Bloater

Blue Bloater New Member

Mike

The U.S. marine corps has a hand to hand training that is a lot like that. Mostly boxing but a few throws and joint locks too. They only get a week of it though. So they are only getting their mouths watered, simple techniques but its tough training. I think the mind set is the best thing they come away with.