Should I train in Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by SiAiS, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Hello,

I trained in JKD, on and off, for a few years most centred around the Wing Chun Sil Lum Tao form and tools.

I haven't trained properly for a while and was thinking about going back to class - locally I have the options of Tai Chi, Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Wing Chun.

I am tending towards Wing Chun because I already know the basics of it, but I have a reservation about that, which is why I am asking. I noticed in basic level Wing Chun class before when I tried it that all their movement is strictly linear, where also my Sil Lum Tao (when I practice it properly) is also linear. However, when I move with the punches and so on, my movement is not linear but the body mechanics of the centre of my body, I am using a spiralling structure. My punch for example, it took me a lot of time to train it, so I was wondering, if I train in Wing Chun from the beginning again, is there the potential that I would evetually loose the movement that I have already made, and take on the linear movement instead?

Where I don't really want to loose the style of movement there that I do have, rather I would like to improve and expand upon that?

I have the same feeling with Muay Thai. This week I was experimenting with some punches, of turning my fist horizontal and throwing jabs and crosses. What I feel there is that the energy is coming from the outside of the rear heel and circling around the back of the body, around the outside of the forearm into the small knuckle. It feels like a reverse elastic effect. There I know that an ordinary jab/cross isn't as powerful as an internal punch from centre. But I was wondering about the same thing, where would I loose my existing form (however sloppy!) I do realise though that the energy isn't properly distibuted for a real jab/cross though - it suprised me a little bit that the Wing Chun style had travelled that far around.

I did try the Tai Chi quite recently actually, that felt quite complimentiary to my style, I could feel the structure of the movement immediately, and the openness of the form brough out something from the Wing Chun that felt really powerful. I made me feel uncomfortable though, I felt like it was too fast and maybe too much, maybe I just remember about when I did Tai Chi as a real martial arts beginner before.

I hope you can understand my simple question.

Many thanks,
    Simon

2. february

february Valued Member

Hey mate, if the question you're asking is should you train WC in order to further your JKD, then my personal answer would be no. Personally i would suggest supplementing some decent Boxing training, as this would work wonders for your movement and fits better with the structure. A little Muay Thai knowledge for kicking/kneeing and the clinch wouldn't go amiss either. If you want to learn WC for the sake of learning WC then I'd say go for it. But if you want to supplement your JKD the other options are more attractive. Also, if your WC centreline punches are more powerful than a standard power jab or rear straight, then you're not jabbing/crossing correctly!

Just my opinion and hope this helps.

3. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

As a Wing Tsun student, I would say, hell yeah!

Wing Chun won't neccesssarily teach you any "techniques" but a good school will teach you some really great principles, regarding aggression, sensitivity to movement (this helps with clinch and grappling as well) Also it will devlope strength in those straight leads etc along with getting you to focus on relaxing, speeding up your hand work.

It all depends on how good a school it is really.

4. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Wait......what?

Wait....WHAT?

5. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Thanks for the advise guys.

So, you don't think that training a similar movement to an existing one repetatively would replace the natural existing movement?

Anyway, maybe that doesn't even matter.

What I'd really like is a class where I could improve on my existing style but I don't think that it exists anywhere.

How about in the classes that you've experienced? I was thinking maybe I could go to class early, and/or stay late, there I can practice their form and then outside of that time be practicing my own thing too. Do you think that instructors are receptive or unreceptive to that?

6. february

february Valued Member

SiAis, I believe you need to look at what your goals are and what you wish to gain from your training. If you want to learn to fight effectively then look at the Boxing/MT, if you want to learn forms and are more intersted in the Art aspect then maybe look into the Tai chi/Wing Chun etc. It's horses for courses. You can of course do both if you have the time and inclination.

7. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

I really wouldn't be so fast to make thatjudgement of WC and Taji.

8. february

february Valued Member

What judgement?

9. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

That they are less effective.

10. february

february Valued Member

I didn't say they were less effective in general. I said that if you want to learn to fight effectively then look at Boxing, MT, or a similar combat sport. They are proven, tried and tested in many fighting arenas, including MMA. WC, TC etc. have their redeeming features, but none of them have produced any proven better fighters than actual combat sports.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

OK, too long, couldn't read all (jk jk).

But seriously though.

WTF is an internal punch from the center?

Punch is a punch, it can't be external or internal. A punch is only as effective . . . as the biomechanics behind it. I guess if a punch was strong, you could call it internal, or whatever... but it's still a punch limited by the laws of physics (reality).

13. jack76

jack76 岑能詠春

chinese translated into external and internal can make things confusing

internal style striking generally focuses on relaxation of the body, structure, shifting of the body weight and chi.

external styles focus on the use of muscle.

that is the difference between and external and internal.

this is not to say that internal styles dont care about muscles or that external styles dont care about structure...but you can see from the way the two categories of styles train where the focus is.

14. february

february Valued Member

When i throw a jab, i focus on being relaxed, correct structure and alignment and shifting the weight correctly. Does that make it an "internal" punch?

15. jack76

jack76 岑能詠春

the labels "internal" and "external" are more appropriate for categorizing styles of training, i.e. styles of kung fu

16. Yohan

Oh please. The terms internal and external are totally meaning less. Here are some of the BS explanations of the terms:

Internal refers to systems that originated in China (Daoist systems), external refers to systems that originated outside of China (Buddhist system).

Internal refers to systems that start by training the chi. External refers to systems that start by training the body.

Internal refers to students who are "in the door (disciples for those of you that don't know)," and External refers to students who are "outside the door (not disciples)."

Internal refers to systems that utilize techniques that use canned hams. External refers to systems that utilize techniques using small furry animals.

The distinction is meaningless and inane. If you want a more accurate description:

External systems tend to be striking systems. Internal systems tend to be wrestling systems. Trust me, I can back up my accurate description more than anyone can back up the other ridiculous claims.

Internal . . . . external, who gives a crap. Can you hit hard? Can you move? Can you defend yourself? Can you wrestle? Those are the distinctions that will separate you from sorry Martial Artists.

17. jack76

jack76 岑能詠春

perhaps trying to lose all that weight has put you in a bad mood?

i was just responding to a comment...no need to get excited.

we all know you are tough. its ok you do not need to keep trying to show us. you're a bad ass ok?

18. Yohan

??

Haven't got the hang of this "posting on a forum" thing?

19. february

february Valued Member

20. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

He is not tuff he is just a big teaddy bear:)