should i take Shotokan ?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ai_thum, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I wonder how much of the bad rep is due to all the "hardcore" guys in the '70s training through injuries and not resting up properly. Zenkutsudachi kills your leg muscles when you first start, but the only times I've had any joint pain from it is when I've been injured already (mostly injuries from running, not karate).

Ha ha! Been there! Not nice!

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I think that's probably true. But let's be honest, we idolise many of those hardcore karate-ka. I'd bet a fair few pounds that us shotokaners wouldn't mind a go at the 'semi' contact karate we've all seen the greats compete in. And even when you do have to rest up, do you want to? Of course not! It's just now we have the choice and we're advised to.

Got smacked right on the siatic nerve a few weeks ago by an absolute mentalist. Needless to say I had to sit out a round...

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Who cares what other people think about the style? If the school is good, you should be alright.

4. ai_thum

ai_thum Valued Member

ashi barai, Zenkutsudachi??? i srry but can some one tell me what those? Sweeps or some thing?(still don't know all the japnese terms)

ooo and i stared taking it Shotokan i think good when we sparr or kumite(still don't know all the japnese terms) we hit to the head and every thing and this is one of the first time i ever took a MA that work alot on punch to the body then any other

o they said i can get up to green umm 8th Kyu be the end of the month if i can master the kata up to there because i already done martial arts before but they only teach kata 1 time a week can some one show me video online so i can work on them?
    i don't want to be a white belt when i know im better then that

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Ashi Barai is a leg sweep. Zenkutsu dachi is a front stance.

Also, it's fine to want to be working at the level you feel you're at but remember: Patience is a Virtue

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

EXACTLY

regards koyo