should i study/learn from video? if so which video should i get?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by shoto-kali, Jan 10, 2004.

1. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

i dont know if i should buy a escrima/arnis/kali video to enhance my stick/knife fighting skill or just go to a escrima/arnis/kali school? if so, any suggestion which one i should get? dont want to waste money on a junk, un-informative video.

a little story, i've learned all my stick fighting skill thru my relatives, my father teach me all the strike attacks, blocks, combo strike like two stick 6 strikes (just found out its called siniwali) & one stick 5 strikes (just found out its called cinco cantos) (things my father only remembers during his younger days, although he wants me to continue it by going to a regular escrima/arnis/kali school) my cousin and uncle's teach me knife handling, arnis as PE during my college days and recently i've met some pinoy in my area who used to study/teach arnis and once in awhile i go to his place (& vice versa) and do some stick drills.

2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Video's don't replace training with a good coach. If you've achoice find a good school!!!!!!!!!!

If i had to recomend any thought it would be the Dog Brothers one's. Even if they don't improve your training (they did mine) you get some good fights to watch :D

3. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Video= 2D, noninteractive. Would you realy want to be using sticks and knives infront of your TV? If your not then rent an action flick, cause your just gonna sit there and watch!

4. crouton

crouton New Member

if there is a school around you, definitely go to one instead of turning to a video. videos should only be to supplement your training.

5. punong_guro

punong_guro New Member

i've found videos usefull intraining my students i sometimes use them in class but although videos are a good tool for learning and teaching they can never even come close to training in a class and with a qualified instructor:)

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Another heads up for the Dog Brothers series ONE tapes!

They are NO replacement for training with an instructor but they will give you an idea for what to look for in one.

(Mr Avatar says - I'm a touch biased :p)

7. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior New Member

It is worth remembering that some instructors are not very good - they may have poor teaching skills, poor skills, favourate students, or attitude issues etc. etc.
    A tape can verify the quality of what your being taught and act as a cross-check too as well as revision tool.
    Tapes dont have to be either/or but suppliment. If no club is available then get tapes

8. crouton

crouton New Member

well said!

9. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

No. You should take some proper classes.