Should I quit?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by righty, Jan 26, 2014.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

I really don’t want to but I’m not sure what is the best option here so here I am looking or advice.

This is going to be a big year for me. Professionally I am going back to ‘normal’ uni to reskill. I now have my timetable and that wipes out the morning BJJ classes that were my staple and part of the new course is about 4 months worth of full time internship throughout the year. I still have to work to feed myself during this time so that’s going to take up a fair few weekends and nights. So money is tight, but also time. And at the moment I’m training JJJ, powerlifting and BJJ.

I’ve bitten off more than I can chew; I simply have to get rid of something.

Unfortunately BJJ is at the lowest of my priorities, mostly because I don’t really have the same kind of goals as I do for the other (some big comps for powerlifting and a second dan grading for JJJ).

But I really like the people at the BJJ place and the atmosphere is great. I might be able to squeeze in 1 session a week or fortnight. That’s not enough to make my current monthly membership worthwhile. And I know it’s not enough to see me improve. So would it be worth doing if this is what I limit myself to? It might actually be easier to make a clean break, especially as at times I have found it stressful to fit everything in.

I know you will all tell me to quit the JJJ but I just want to see this grading done. After that things will probably change.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Put on hold the things you havnt got time for.
    BUT are you only at JJJ for your grading and then your quitting? If so whats the point in having the cert.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

I won't quit JJJ once I get the grading, but I don't really see myself working for additional rank after that.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Talk to your BJJ gym, explain that you want to keep a hand in, but you don't have enough free time to justify the monthly membership. They might let you train pay as you go for a reasonable fee so you can still go to that one-class a week/fortnight without wasting money.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd drop the uni personally. Then again though, I'm an idiot.

6. Dead_pool

So are you having to get in extra training for the grading? Which means no time for BJJ?

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Yeah pretty much. But even if there was no grading I don't think I would have enough time to train both and be improving in both with the gym work in there as well. And the times of the classes I can attend overlap.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I would say don't bother training one every so often. Make your choice to one you can devote time too. Training once every couple of weeks isn't really worth it. And you sound like the idea is causing you time and money stress, even though you like the establishment.

You already sound like you know which one is a priority to you.

It isn't forever. You can always go back to one when you have time again. Just talk to the head instructor and leave on good terms with them. Let them know school just isn't allowing you to continue right now. Assuming the school stays in business of course.

9. Dead_pool

You just have to prioritize what you enjoy and feel worth in doing.

If that's powerlifting and getting a JJ grade so be it.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, prioritise and go with that. As aaradia says, it's not forever.

If you weren't doing the JJJ grading I'd suggest dropping that too and picking up a class through the Uni as it'd be much cheaper.

Whatever you work out best of luck with it! What are you going to study?

Mitch

11. righty

righty Valued Member

Imma gonna be a teecha.
    At least that is the plan.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will continue taking suggestions but at the moment I think a clean break might be best and save me a bit of stress. I don't want to feel guilty about training when I should be working or studying, which is starting to happen.

I've never had to do this before, but is there etiquette to this? How far in advance should I tell the instructor that I won't be training there anymore? Semester starts at the start of March, so in about 4 weeks. But in an added pickle there is a BJJ comp in 2 weeks I said I would compete at, although I haven't officially registered yet. It hasn't been the best lead up to a comp for me due to injury and reduced training.

12. Dead_pool

Let him know ASAP, in addition, if you pay monthly, sometimes theres a cancellation period to contend with.

I wouldn't compete if I where you, the risk of injury / risk of reward considering you wont be training again isn't worth it. Plus you'll be taking valuable coaching/cornering time away from those who will still be attending.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You have my gratitude, admiration and deepest sympathy :D

Mitch

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Stick with the BJJ, you're gonna need it.

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Be realistic , take a break from the bjj , continue in your jjj and best of luck with the teaching. You can always return to the bjj later on .

Smurf

16. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

As others have said - take a break from whatever is your lowest priority, and come back to it later. One thought - think about what training is easiest in terms of logisitics. For me, nothing kills training faster than having to drive an hour there and back after work - it just gets blown off. Also don't be afraid to take time off completely - my experience with trying to fit in 'odd sessions' is that you get a. frustrated and b. injured because you think you can do what you were capable of when you were training 3 times a week

17. righty

righty Valued Member

I went and talked to the instructor. He seemed to understand but I could tell he was disappointed.

It's on a monthly membership so I am paid up to the end of the month. But now I know I won't be continuing I find I've lost a lot of motivation to go and train, even though I could possibly make a few class before the membership expires. Oh well. It's not forever.

18. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Leave with a Bang!

Finishing is always the hardest, that's why you need to push harder. For your last classes you do attend push your self harder, pay better attention, try things that you've wanted to try but never did for one reason or another. Give it your all, you will be much more satisfied when you do leave and more motivated to return once your schedule allows it. Plus, it will show your instructor that you do care and that this was a hard decision to make, he will appreciate the extra effort and so will your classmates.

Dont forget to be safe.