Should i get my black belt?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by beholder, Feb 14, 2012.

1. beholder

beholder New Member

i am a 1st degree brown in kenpo and feel like black belt is a money grab :bang:
    i have been at kenpo for almost 3 years and teach lower belt in the dojo, i need to grade through my sensei's sensei for a "lagit" black belt, i think i may be being scammed though.
    its a 3 day exam with about 40 other people grading, frank trejo (10th degree in kenpo) will be there and all the other school owners in the area (about 6) but it costs 600 dollars plus a hotel, NEW heavy uniform, and you NEED to attend a seminar and a tournament before the grading

whats your opinion?

2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Wow! thats crazy!I have never heard of a Dan grading being so expensive, I would look at another association and see if they will accept your current grades or at least assess your skill level and judge according to their standards.

Don't do it! If reaching your black belt is important to you, do it within a assocation/structure where you know you have earned it and not brought it!

Good Luck!!

Cheers

Dan93

Cognito Ergo Sum!

3. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Wow that is insanely expensive. I think when i was grading, there was a brown belt there, and he only spent 50 pounds. Then again it was TSD but i dont think the prices really change for gradings, they are around the same. (from what i have heard for friends grading fees, all of whom do different arts)

4. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I bought an expensive "waterproof" watch once it packed in after a month or so. Similiarly I bought a really cheap tacky watch for 50 pence (when you're poor and needs must) this watch lasted through six months of abuse - bless him.

Moral of my story? Something that is being passed of as quality can turn out to be not so much. Something the untrained eye can see as rubbish can actually turn out to be quality.

If it were me I would take what I've learnt, thank everyone for their time and head elsewhere.

Best of luck whatever your decision! :)

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i have to agree with dan93. don't do it. ridiculous fees. i've never heard of a martial art seminar that cost so much, even a three-day one.

6. blindside

blindside Valued Member

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I wouldn't want any part of a grading where the association was testing so many people for black belt at once. I don't see the need for a 3 day grading. I certainly don't see why you should have to fork out what must be close to $1,000 when you factor in all the associated costs.

You can always find another association that teaches an art similar to your own and see if you can fast track through the grades.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I was about to say "yes, because you'll always regret not reaching the benchmark, even if it's not ultimately that important." But after hearing the details, "hell no; $600?!"

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I don't know Frank Trejo, but my opinion is that you're not in a legit lineage anymore. Nothing that charges all that (the money, the hotel, the new uniform, the seminar *all combined*) smells right to me.

It fails my smell test. There it is. Sorry. I can understand and accept the need to attend seminars post-black belt for the higher dan ranks, but that's post-black belt, and that's without all the other costs.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. Osu,

How come you only learn about that after 3 years?
    Is that the first time since you started that BB tests happen over 3 days and a seminar?
    Were other gradings cheaper and shorter? maybe without the gRRRRRRand master?
    In that case, maybe the next grading will be a "normal one" and cheaper? (I read 250$ from someone that saw that on a website)

There is nothing wrong with politely asking your instructor what is going on...

Osu!

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There's NO WAY I'd pay that much for a black belt grading. Stay at brown and tell him to cut you a deal if he wants you to continue teaching lower grades.

12. Goshin Wow-za

Goshin Wow-za Valued Member

My buddy and training partner was graded at a provincial seminar in front of a panel of the highest ranking jujitsuka in the nation... Cost him $110 CDN I think. Which included his custom embroidered belt and framed certificates. Plus our head instructor picked up the tab for us (I was his uke) to attend the seminar as well.

Sounds like you're getting hosed.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

dunno man. sounds steep.

never had to go for a belt before. i mean i have trained in places where there are ranks. i have trained in arts where there are none. i personally don't get it but if it is in the curiculuum and you believe in it i guess i say yea... but not for six benjamins. i can think of a whole lot of things to do with six benjamins than pay somebody to say "yeah man! you're black belt! now bend over so i can whack you with it!"

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I wouldn't pay that. I would laugh at my teacher for suggesting it though.

15. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Yea, I think you should go through with it. You have come this far might as well get the black belt. $600 is about middle of the road, some tkd dojangs charge thousands. I paid $200 back in 2004.

After you get your 1st dan you can start cross training in all kinds of different arts or concentrate on getting a instructor certificate and 2nd dan in your current system.

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The fact that other places charge more doesn't excuse this level of charging. It's insanely expensive and there's no justification for it, especially when you add in the costs of travel, hotel and attending mandatory seminars/courses before even being allowed to grade.

It won't change his level of skill at all in itself, so why take a pointless test if he's already clearly thinking of leaving the style in favour of something better?

17. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

How did this Trejo get his 10th dan? Is it his own self given or is it legit?

In my opinion, as said, get tested at some other place.

18. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

His web site says he "is recognized as a tenth degree black belt", but it doesn't say where it came from. His bio talks extensively about his work with Ed Parker, so it seems to me that if the 10th dan was from Parker, the site would say so. It doesn't. My guess, then, is that his rank is self-awarded.

On the same site, he is called a "19 time international champion", but it doesn't say in what competition he won those titles. I've never heard of the same guy winning the same tournament 19 times, even a small local tournament.

His web site also boasts his work with UFC fighter Zain Frazer, who is nowhere to be found on Google, meaning working with him probably isn't anything to boast about.

All of this sounds pretty shady to me. I would not pay $600 to this man and his organization, and I would not spend money to travel and go see him, either. I'd start looking for a new club.

If your long-term goal is to stay in the organization, though, you'll probably have to shell out for the black belt eventually.

EDIT: Take a look at this: http://www.franktrejokarate.com/membership.html
    It says here that black belt testing fees in the Frank Trejo organization are only $250. Where's the other $350 coming from?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  19. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

When I test for seventh dan in two months, my exam fee is $700. I know what our exams cost my instructors for a mastery test and they have yet to even break even on their expenses. Our exams are five days and four nights in the field and other than curriculum, sparring, rolling, MMA, ect., we have done everything from 18,000 ft tandum jumps to fire walks to sweat lodges and a ton more. These have been some of the most empowering experiences of my life. IF the test your org. is holding is anything like ours, you may be getting a decent deal. However, it does sound more in line with what the majority of the other posters are saying. (BTW, under master level, our tests are not nearly as involved or as expensive).

I would politely ask your instructor about what is involved and if it's just to "have the honor of being tested by such a magnificent Grand Master", then I too would be checking out other Kenpo orgs. It never hurts to find out the facts and make an informed decision.

20. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

My opinion?

First i would like you to clarify whether you have given $600 as an estimation of total exspenses or otherwise.
    I too have been in the position where a blackbelt grading would have come to over AU$500 considering travel, accomodation etc.
    The vast majority of us are paying at least a hundy for 1st dan and beyond.

The bottom line is, if you are to pay a stand alone fee for grading of $600 then you have been a little blinkered up to this point. I would question why you didnt have an idea of the outlay you were working towards. If the Trejo website decrees $200 or so then something is wrong with the fee that has been suggested to you.
    Who informed you that it was to be $600?
    Are you in communication with any other members intending to grade?

It sounds to me like your being charged extra to cover the costs of hosting/venue etc
    Perhaps you could be a little more forthcoming with additional information concerning these details ie: is your Instructor personaly involved with hosting/venue planning etc?

I mean honestly, if you dont have an idea of exspenses beforehand then you are travelling blind!
    If this is in fact the legitimate fee you are expected to part with then run my friend, Run.

On the other hand, like i said, i would like you to clarify whether the seminar/tournament/grading/Gi come as a package over the 3-4 days spread.
    Becouse that would certainly help to explain the costs.