Should I do boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Bruce_Lee93, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

Hey everyone.
    I've been training in Kyokushin Karate for almost 3 years now, and I recently started Jiujutusu for my grappling technique. Would it be a good idea to start training in boxing for my striking/personal fitness???

PS- I don't want a comparison of the arts, just whether with my training background it's a good idea to start training in boxing. In other words, NO TROLLING ON THIS THREAD <Obscenity removed>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Yes

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Do you want to?

Do you have the time and dedication to do it?

Can you afford to do so?

Are you willing to make sacrifices to train in it?

If so, go for it.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

do you WANT to do boxing?

edit: so yeah, what kuma said :p

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

BL93, please watch the language. MAP has a family friendly policy and that kind of language is unacceptable.

6. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Boxing is a beautiful sport, but I wouldn't recommend anyone who values their mental capacity to take it up. Repeated blows to the head = diminished brain power. That's too big of a sacrifice for me. Does Muhammed Ali look happy that he boxed all his life? Or that his own daughter is into it? You'll proably be better suited for mma after some training in boxing, but is some small-time glory in the cage worth the physical/mental damage to yourself?

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

Once their mental capacities are low enough, they can always take Tae Kwon Do.

8. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Hey at least my dojang doesn't teach you to be a big meanie!

9. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

tKd GU
    i'd leave it there....

this is a martial arts forum, i'd hope most on here have thrown and taken a punch in their time.
    is there any evidence that boxing has caused ali's parkinsons?

10. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Not that I'm aware of... But there is evidence that suggests long-term repeated head trauma will make you dumber. I'm not saying we should all avoid every form of physical contact, I just don't think boxing is a very healthy thing to do to your brain.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Couple of points:

a) Ali was a pro boxer with a very long career. The kind of punishment he took doesn't even compare to what a hobbyist who spars once or twice a week will take. Or even what most am and pro boxers take.

b) Many people get Parkinsons disease regretably, some of them at a younger age than Ali. Sure the boxing probably brought it on quicker but still, boxing doesn't cause Parkinsons.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Boxing focusses a lot on punching to the head, given thats one of the things Kyokushin is usually weak on it so sounds like a good choice.:cool:

13. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Yes for sure, will help your skill set immensely..

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Err OK!!??

15. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

see the post above that one. I wouldn't say it's very budo-like to use a religious figure as an aid in insulting somebody else.

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Tae Kwon Do teaches budo now?

17. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

I know I really shouldn't entertain your remark, but yes, it is traditional for tkd instructors to touch on the subject, they just don't call it budo. Afterall, taekwondo probably derived mostly from Japanese styles.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Why would a Korean art focus on budo? It's not like the Japanese have a monopoly on the martial ways. You don't think Korea has its own martial philosophy that is somehow unique to its country? I don't train in TKD and even I know that there's something other than budo in Korea.

Then again, when you achieve a black belt in 12 months, you probably don't get much time to learn the important stuff of your art...

19. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

For your information, the average time to reach black at my school is something around four years. I know tkd doesn't have a good track record, but at my dojang it is actually possible to fail a grading. Your missing my point, anyway. What I'm trying to say is that for somebody who is supposed be a martial artist, not just a fighter, you sure are a jerk. The major difference between a fighter and a martial artist is principle.

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You know me personally now I take it? Or maybe, due to all your previous posts of slagging other martial arts, I wanted to see how well you could take your own medicine? Which apparently isn't very well.