Should guns be outlawed?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jun 20, 2003.

?

Should guns be outlawed?

1. Guns should be outlawed

163 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Guns should be legal

196 vote(s)
    54.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm afraid hard facts contradicts you. IN countries that introduce severe gun-restrictions, accidents/gun-related killings/injuries drop.

So that's not an argument for not banning guns. The point is: Is the problem with gun-related crime so severe that we want to limit the freedom of the citicens? That's a discussion that every country/community should go through from time to time, and depending on the society, there are probably different answers in different countries.

To say that banning guns to curb violence is ninsensical, is just as wrong as saying "banning guns is the solution to every problem".

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Banning guns doesn't curb violence.

There's has been no study indicating this.

Banning guns curbs GUN violence.

3. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Is there a more dangerous type of violence?

4. Toddryavenger

Toddryavenger New Member

I do nto like guns, and i do not think they should be legal. I dont have any evidence or facts but I have an opinion like everyone else and I think guns are just a horrible. They are just too easy too ubtain, all weapons are for that matter. :woo:
    Anyway, maybe its a little Ironic that in the line of work I want to go in, ill most likely be needing a gun...*sigh*

5. Stolenbjorn

I don't know about you, but I prefere to be smacked in the face rather than to be shot :p

6. orcslayer

orcslayer Banned Banned

I would prefer to shoot someone who was trying to stab me.

7. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Pistols are banned in the UK, everyone who wants one still gets one. No point in outlawing ugns because then everyone who has one will be unstoppable

8. Stolenbjorn

Me too in theory.
    But in practice.... hmmm in what situations are you threatened with a knife?
    Street-robbery and barfights?
    (A classic is the killing of a sweedish minister a few years ago by a maniac in a shopping mall in the middle of the day -crammed with people and all)

In all theese situations the knife comes up pretty fast, and in some cases you don't know that you're in a knifefight before you bleed.

In theese situations the gun is too slow to use to stop the attack. In situations where you probably have time to present a shooter, you probably have time to turn and run away as well.

This is irellevant in the outlaw guns or not-topic; but I just wanted to remind my fellow MA'ers on the best option in a knifefight; to not get involved in one -handgun or not...

9. orcslayer

orcslayer Banned Banned

Heres something nobody has thought of: zombie uprising

guns>pepper spray

10. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

no guns shouldn't be outlawed...
    cause if I can;t have a gun, then if I was a law-abiding citizen, I'd get a hatchet or a broadsword... which would make my self-defense bloodier and less efficient... and I think a small arms fire to the leg compared to a broadsword chop to the leg, the shot is cleaner...

if there were no guns I'd have a hand-to-hand type of weapon... a melee one...
    and since there are guns, I want to most effectively defend myself if my martial arts cannot from a distance... though chances are, I will not need to as I will avoid situations and areas, but its nice to be protected when you are in a dangerous situation

11. Stolenbjorn

I wonder if guns are as effective as zweihenders vs. zombies. Anyway, I think assault-rifles would be nessecary or heavy handguns, as the lighter calibres/muzzle-velocities probably won't do the zomby much bad

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

In my experience as a long-time zombie hunter, I can say that shotguns, loaded with slugs, are optimal against zombies. So also are longswords, since zombies are already rotten, therefore you don't really need to worry about lugging about a zweihander. Don't use a rapier against a zombie. They won't even notice. ;)

-Mark

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  13. orcslayer

orcslayer Banned Banned

Glad to see their are fellow zombie hunters!

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Kills the time between being a pirate and a ballet dancer.

-Mark

15. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

i think the only guns should be allowed are airsoft and paintball because they cant cause deaths unless they are overpowered by some nuclear device lol. no guns= no deaths by guns. but thats like saying we should outlaw knifes and forks so either way we are all screwed.

16. KuKulzA

for me the Chinese Da-Dao works best against zombies... ;)

17. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It means no deaths by legally acquired guns. It won't affect deaths from illegal guns one bit. If you're willing to kill someone, you're generally willing to get a gun illegally, which is pretty easy to do in most cities. You're right about the knife comment as well. We can't go banning everything that someone could use to kill someone. Then we'd have to ban knives, cars, airplanes, fertilizers, machetes, baseball bats, rebar, and so on.

But more importantly, what happens if the zombies get guns? :)

-Mark

18. Stolenbjorn

Is this the 8th time we go through the same chains of arguments? :love:
    My impression is that if guns are forbidden, the ones who REALLY, REALLY want to kill somebody still manages to find a gun, but that's not so many people (at least not in Norway, there are perhaps some 500 people in Norway that dedicated to kill others and that's a wild estimate grabbed out of the air :Angel: ) What you don't get are the shooting-accidents by the ones buying a legal gun becasuse they're afraid that some for some weird reason REALLY, REALLY wants to kill them :p
    But I totally agree that this is a more importaint question:

To this, I say that we can only hope they hold the gun the wrong way :D -and how easy is it for zombies to find a gun if they are illegal ;)

19. KuKulzA

oh... but aren't zombies illegal?

I remember some official ducoment saying... "we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men and not zombies are created equal" and the Undeath Prohibition Act of 1967 where zombie were proclaimed illegal and any Carribean native/african voodoo zombies as well as grave zombies would be considered dangerous and illegal aliens/immigrants. This was largely due to the fact that the Ghostbusters weren't ready to deal with zombies in addition to ghosts...

so... why get a gun to kill someone, if you can just as easily get an illegal zomibe to kill?

so another way to say this is... why not have something else kill the person instead of you with a weapon? and do it illegally cause it would be illegal and cooler to have a zombie...
    :woo: < :Alien:

20. Stolenbjorn

This thread have improved so much after the zombies were introduced :D :D :D

As zombies are illegal in USA(?) we can asume that only the weird people that REALLY, REALLY want to kill someone will aquire a zombie and provide the zombie with an (illegal) gun -and we will avoid all the zombie-home-accidents involving zombies that nervous people have aquired because they for some strange reason believes that someone REALLY, REALLY want to kill them:p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.