shou shus magic hands

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by animalguy, Jan 30, 2004.

1. animalguy

animalguy Valued Member

i read a post from the "shou shu" post and thought i would give this, a new, less posted, less trolled, post on my favorite subject.

the magic hands symbol that is on everything the average fanatical students wear on everything moore's. you can look them up on the link below as well as fun stuff like your name, the different animals, or anything else you might want to see in chinese idiom.

http://chineseculture.about.com/

look up moore, magic, and demon

then look up karate and hand

so moore's karate is also magic hand and for anyone who has seen someone shy away from a t-shirt in chinatown, demon hand.

look at the names above the characters.

maybe someone has posted this before but as i do not have time to check every post and i figured that we devotees needed another thread, (and i need to keep up my hero facade for three sky) here you go.

2. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Keep it up Animalguy he will have to promote you to Paladin on his list.

Good info too by the way.

Salute,

Blue

3. shoushuer

shoushuer Banned Banned

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  4. T C D*fighter*

T C D*fighter* New Member

Animalguy - Check you Private Messages please.

Laters

5. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Moore's Karate Means Mo' (pronounced Mor) Shu'

Magic Hands Means Shou' Shu'

Beast Art Means Shou' Shu'

Whats funny is that the characters are Different for some but they are all having pretty much the same meaning, Mo2 in Manderin also means to work with you hands.

so interesting.

Salute,

6. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Chinatown

I go to Chinatown in SF every year for the Chinese new year fest. I usually wear a Moore's shirt, just to see what reaction I get. I also have the symbol tattoed below my throat. The old ladies usually give me the evil eye and get out of my way. I think it's pretty funny that a symbol can have such an effect, but the Chinese are a very superstitious people compared to us Americans. A Chinese lady told me it could mean demon hands, or motorcycle man or marijuana. I like all three of these things, so any interperatation is cool with me.

I don't believe anything is misspelled in the symbol, I trust DaShifu Sr.'s judgement. If he did happen to misspell it, do you think it wouldn't have been pointed out to him and corrected in the last 50 years? I read that the first Moore's Shou Shu school was in DaShifu's garage in the Oakland area, in 1954!! Happy 50th anniversary! :D

7. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

shou shu magic hands

bear i think we talked about the moore's symbol a few weeks ago, anyway i met some chinese people many years ago and they saw my medalion and called it da mo, i think they meant to say da moore but who knows, i've been told it means many different things from magic hands to evil hands to demon hands and many others i'm sure. salute

8. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Don't know if this is what it means........but da mo i'm pretty sure was the chinese name for bohdirama (the japanese name for him). can't remember hisreal indian name.

9. CFT

CFT Valued Member

The Chinese character in Shou Shu Blue's avatar can be pronounced "moore" in Cantonese, which is pretty handy given the creator of your art.

It can mean to touch or rub, but is also used in the phonetic translation of motor (moore-daa).

Magic is known as "moor sut" or demon-skills. The demon character looks like the "touch" character, but the "hand" radical at the bottom of the character is replaced by the "ghost" radical (gwai).

I guess Tattooed Bear was given the evil eye because he had the demon character tattooed on himself. I have to say that I would give him a wide berth if that was the case ..... I would be thinking that he was some nutter from an evil cult.

I don't see how Marijuana got mixed into this. The character for Marijuana is the same as the "touch" character but without the "hand" radical. It really isn't that difficult to distinguish.

Any chance you shou shu'ers can post a picture of your t-shirts, medallions?

10. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

You are correct Sub

11. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Salute,

My avatar is on the left Chest pocket area of our T-Shirts. There are several different designs on the back of them.

This is a ?, I cant find the two charactors seperated in my avatar, but i believe that based on the Phonetics it would be translated into Moores Art or Moores Karate.

Salute,

Blue

12. CFT

CFT Valued Member

The character in your avatar is the Chinese character for "touch", which sounds like "moore". This is probably the main reason your da sifu chose this character.

If you remove the "hand" radical at the bottom of the character (the 3 horizontal strokes with the vertical stroke ending in a hook) you get the character for "marijuana" (hemp actually).

If you replaced the "hand" radical with the "ghost" radical, you get the character for demon or devil, which again sounds like "moore". This character is used in the compound term: demon arts/skills to mean magic (of the western kind). If used in the term "mor shut sau" this would mean magic hands in Cantonese. I wouldn't go around parading the single character for demon as this has very negative connotations, regardless of culture.

13. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Thanks for clearing that up CFT. Now I know why I get the dirty looks in China town. Actually I get dirty looks everywhere I go since I'm covered in ink and shave my head. But I like it that way, I don't have to worry about close minded people wasting my time by talking to me.

14. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Yes the art is Moore's CMA, when the family started teaching the art public Kung fu or anything chinese wasnt known. so the family named the schools Moore's Karate. in the 50's and 60's that was an acceptable name. everyone knew what karate was.

As the art is manderin in origin its great to see the meanings make a complete loop and mean Shou' Shu' pretty much no matter. I know Mor is a complete different charactor but mostly you know what i mean.

But its the genius that Da' Shifu Sr. found and used that commen ground in an era that wasnt so abundant in information. He had the knowledge and used it and still today we are baffled by it.

Salute,

Blue

15. shifu v

shifu v New Member

Hey Tattooed bear

I walked into a cleaners recently with my Moores shirt on, and the
    lady working the register was clearly shaken by it. I also heard in parts of
    china they get really spooked by it.

16. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

back in 1990 when i first started shou shu i was working and living in stockton and the place i was working had some chinese residents there and they saw my silver medalion and nearly freaked out, well not freaked out but became a litlle alarmed at my medalion, they said to me, "da mo"! "da mo! so i thought they just couldn't pronounce the R in moore's. anyway i thought it was kool to see that. salute

17. The Wastrel

The Wastrel New Member

People are looking at you strangely because because it's written incorrectly. There is no way, no how that the character is pronounced "Shou Shu", for one. CFT has tried to explain over and over what the character means. I know it's complicated and references a lot of Chinese knowledge you don't have.

If the two components of the character are together, it means "touch" or "rub" or "friction". If you take the "hand" radical out, which is the bottom portion, then it means "hemp".

If you want it to mean "magic" or "demon" you actually have to add an entirely different radical onto it that is not there. And then you'd have to separate the character for hand.

Fact is, people have been trying to explain for a long time that the character doesn't mean magic hands. At least since around 1995 in my memory.

This doesn't need to reflect badly on the school or Al Moore Sr. or anything. Chinese is very difficult, and mistakes are easy to make.

Here is the character for demon that the first poster is referring to, on the left, "ghost" is on the right:

[​IMG]

Note, the bottom element is entirely different than the bottom element in the character used in the Moore's logo. The top part of it has nothing to do with magic or demons. It only provides the SOUND of the word.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  18. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Correct the charactors in the Moores patch and shirts is Moore Karate, the top charactor is pronounced Mor the bottom one means Karate, if not looked at close enough it can be misread. Shou Shu are two totally different charactors and are on the certificates horizontal not veritcal.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  19. The Wastrel

The Wastrel New Member

Correct. Although in truth, the bottom one just means "hand".

20. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

yes also depending on pronuciation means Karate.

I think the charactors used for the Moores system was based on phonetic sound.

Go to this page and type in Moore, you get a break down by syllable. Mo and Er are what comes up. the Mo2 is what is used by the Moore family to represent the Name Moore all based on phonetic sound. Which i believe is how english names are given chinese charactors.

http://www.chinalanguage.com/Language/Dictionaries/ecdict.html

Salute,