Short stick fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Mike, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

In my Ju-Jitsu class, one person is doing a weapons syllabus which includes some short stick work for blocks/locks/attacks/etc.

This looks very interesting to me, but I can't find much info online about these techniques.

Anyone got any good links they know of?

Thanks.

2. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

It's either Jodo, Kali, or Arnis.
    Kali and Arnis are pretty much the same thing, I think.
    How big is this stick, it's probably a Jo.

3. Mike

Mike New Member

It's about 9 inches long and is used both single and double handed.

4. Mike

Mike New Member

5. zun

zun New Member

kubotan? It's usually about 5-6 inches long though

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Bong? pass it around, we'll all have a toke :D

7. khafra

khafra New Member

Actually, given that it's Ju-Jitsu, it could be Hanbo techniques. Seems a little more likely than Kali, given that Hanbo's from the Japanese martial tradition.

8. Blade

Blade New Member

It is possible that it is part of the Irish stick fighting art

9. littlebird

littlebird New Member

Generally that would come under the heading of "hand stick." The old Japanese name would be yawara stick.

The size can vary though usually a size that allows about 1.5 inches or more from either side of the hand is most useful. There are technical reasons for not having much more and practical reasons for not having much less.
    The reason for having it extend beyond either side of the hand is so the hand doesn't have to be twisted for a blow to either side.

There are many advantages to this kind of weapon particularly since it doesn't look like much of a weapon, is easily conceable, not readily detectable, and doesn't have to be a pretty well polished piece of iron wood, oak or hickory. It can be a metal bolt, a door stop, a hair brush, etc.
    It can be picked up off the ground or dropped back on the ground and never noticed.

It is in the genre of the heavy ring of keys, the spike brush or comb, the heavy writing pen, a metal stapler, but more effective with good training and thought.

The Irish stick is a thing entirely different. Considerably longer, somewhat heavier and much more versatile. Great skill was acquired by practioners of this art. Lighter and much faster than a club. Akin more to Kali.

Briefly the end of the hand stick allows the wielder to focus/concentrate his or her strengh into a very small area delivering a hard and devastating force to bone or soft tissue alike.

10. littlebird

littlebird New Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  11. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Every country in the world has used sticks for fighting. there are more then those 3 choices, 2 of which are basically the same thing named differently. All of which contain many different styles under that umbrella term.

I fight with sticks, I don't do any of those. I do "Stickfighting" :D

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Escreema, perhaps? (sorry If I spell it wrong) That is a philiphine shortsticksystem, but from the little I know, it's primarily used for powerful and fast blows towards the head in very close range

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Eskrima / Escima are the common spellings.

Your description is like saying Muay Thai is primarily used for throwing left hooks :p

There's a little more to it than that.

14. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Yoda is right, there is a LOT more to arnis stick work than blows to the head at short range.

:D

It's a MA in its own right! Traps, chokes, throws and other lovelies...

:D