Shorinji Kempo forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Kimpatsu, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Simple suggestion/request: Could we have a dedicated Shorinji Kempo forum, please?
    TIA,

2. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Pretty please?
    (Actually, this post was just to change my notification options.)

3. Jim

Jim New Member

We already have a Kenpo forum.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

If useful and constructive discussion relating to Shorinji Kempo gets to a decent level and there is enough interest generated to justify it - we'll gladly consider it.

How about a brief history and description of your style for those unfamiliar with it?

5. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Which is nothign to do with Shorinji Kempo, hence my request.

6. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Thank you. Unfortunately, I think it's a vicious circle; Shorinji Kenshi won't sign on to MAP unless there's a forum, but unless Shorinji Kenshi sign on in sufficient numbers, you won't consider a forum. From experience, I can tell you that the forum needs to come first. At present, the only definite Kenshi on this forum are myself and Colin Linz. A forum would automatically increase interest, and WSKO and the BSKF would link to MAP.
    I was thinking of writing one for the essays section; would you prefer me to give an outline here? (I could always do both, if you prefer.)

7. YODA

Why not? Are these people ONLY interested in discussing their own style? If so it would be better to set up your own private forum.

Supply & demand - not demmand & supply :D

An excellent idea - email me your essay and I'll put it in the Articles section.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

In which case, they'd be missing the whole point of MAP anyway.

We're not a free chatroom for insular, close minded groups.

9. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

No, it's because without said forum, it feels like a deliberate snub. Kind of like being invited to a dinner party where everyone knows you're a vegetarian, and then finding there's only meat on the menu.
    Besides, the best way to field questions about Shorinji Kempo is in our own forum; where else would you expect us to answer such questions? The karate forum?
    I need a few ground rules first, and then I'll start tomorrow. I need to know ideal length, whether pics can be included, and the format in which to send it.
    TIA,

10. YODA

There is no seperate forum for either of the two Filipino Martial Arts that I teach. That doesn't stop me from being an active member this forum.

If you like. Or maybe in "Other" until such time that a seperate forum is justified. Have a look at how the Shou Shu people are getting along in the Kung Fu forum. Seperate forums for every art out there is just not practical. Justify it by usage and constructive discussion and we'll consider it further.

Have a look at the existing articles - as you'll see length varies a lot - and photos are included. As for format - MS-Word with seperate pics in 72dpi .jpg format would be best.

11. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

I can certainly write the essay in the prescribed format.
    As to Shorinji Kempo, it really is too unique to be included elsewhere. We have as much right in being in the Karate forum as the Aikidoka do. Once you read my essay (it might be a few days yet; I have an urgent translation to handle first), hopefully you'll understand better.
    Best,

12. YODA

I'm sure I will understand better - and maybe "Other" is therefore a more suitable place for now.

The criteria for new forum creation, however, stands.

13. totality

totality New Member

funniest thread ever. thank you guys!

14. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

We're not just "other"; we're Shorinji Kempo! Grr... Arrgh... (Mosnter runs across screen in pop culture reference...)

15. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Forgive my humourlessness, but what's so funny?

16. YODA

As far as MAP goes - for now - "Other" is what you are and "Shorinji Kempo" is something you may become :D

There is no implication that your art is any the less worthy of study. It is not "just" Other - it is just "Other" - I hope you can appreciate the difference :D

17. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Nopr for insular, closed-minded adminsitrators who won't give us our own forum? (Touché ;) )
    By this definition, anyone whop posts to any of the dedicated forums (Karate, Aikido, etc.) is insular and closed-minded.
    Some mistake, surely?

18. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Then why do "just" karate (which isn't even an art, but a generic term) and Aikido, etc, have their own forums?
    I'm not being snide; I just can't follow you reasoning here.

19. YODA

Because sufficient members have demonstrated their desire to discuss those topics and therefore justify the existence of a forum dedicated to either an umbrella term (Karate) or a seperate art (Aikido.)

When you do that for Shorinji Kempo - we will consider the matter further. Until then - we will not.

20. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

So it is just a question of numbers? How many Shorinji Kenshi do you need?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.