Shopping around for stuff, would appreciate opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hatamoto, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I got a friend who wants to buy his neice an e-reader for her wedding. I know the big names are kindle, kobo and nook, but have only used the kindle 3, which I find a little clunky for anything but reading. Does anyone have experience with the newer versions of the kindle or the other readers? Is there another brand that does it better?

I want to buy my mother membership to one of those genealogy sites like ancestry.com for Christmas. That's the only such site I know of though. Does anyone have any experience with them, or another site for the same purpose? Which are best value for money, which are the most informative?

That's it, thanks a lot.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It is not just the Kindle I would recommend for ease of use and the books available, but the customer case from Amazon.
    I called them when my wife's Kindle developed a problem. They couldn't help over the phone so sent a new one out the next day.
    I have heard similar stories from many people.

3. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I second kindle. my wife's kindle got kidded, call to amazon, they sent a new one next day delivery.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yep, third vote for the Kindle. The latest non-touchscreen version without the keyboard is light, great battery life and doesn't do that annoying flash when you change pages that older ones used to do.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Happened with my girlfriend. The kindle was a gift so she had no proof of purchase, it stopped working, they shipped out a replacement anyway.

I however am against Kindles on principle, so have nothing to add to the debate ;)

On the genealogy side, Ancestry.com/.co.uk is easily the best one to use. As long as you're not tracing Irish people in Ireland. But it's really extensive for everything else. It should be your go to site.

6. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I have the first type, it will read the book to you. Voice is a bit funky. Not sure if the newer types have this feature

7. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Cheers folks. Was in Currys earlier and saw the kindle without the keyboard for £69, I think that'll do him well enough. £109 for the privelege of a touch screen lol. So glad I care not for such things. That said I paid £149 for mine coz I didn't understand what 3G was or that only a year later I'd have a smartphone lol. Ah well ^.^

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Weighing in late here. I have a Sony and I would buy one again. I think the model is TRS-T1. It's the lightest ereader about I believe which I like.

The biggest thing though is that the Sony is able to read the widest variety of ebook file formats. So I can source books from pretty much any store, including amazon.

9. EdnaRamire

EdnaRamire New Member

They couldn't help over the phone so sent a new one out the next day. [​IMG]