[shooting] New toy...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Mitlov, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

[​IMG]

For those not familiar, this is a Remington 1911 R1. John Browning's 1911 design has been in service for 102 years and counting...a remarkable historical and technological feat.

Intended purposes: recreational shooting, home defense, traveling through our idiot neighbor to the west, Josephine County, hiking and camping (primarily protection against Oregon's most unpredictable natural predator, the methus headus).

Bought it nearly-new off a friend after putting a few dozen rounds through it and really liking it. He's a 1911 aficionado and had picked it up on an impulse buy, but basically never used it because he as a much fancier Kimber 1911.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

How much would that cost new and what is the cost of the rounds?

3. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

You can't go wrong with a 1911 aka 45 acp.. It is a good weapon that has a history to back up its reputation.. Ive been carrying 1911s for 40 plus years as a service weapon and as a personal carry.. It is my edc in concealed mode.. If you are looking at shooting other than ball ammo aka full metal jacket, I would suggest that you take it in and get the throat and ramp polished so it will feed wad cutter and other variations of the wad cutter.. the 1911 is a good weapon and I can shoot better with it than I do with my duty piece of beretta 92sf which is a 9mm.. personal preference is what matters

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Remington's 1911 sells for $599 new around here. You can find them for cheaper from more shifty brands, but I personally would stay away from those. On the other end of the spectrum, Wilson Combat will sell you 1911s for $5000 with absurd levels of craftsmanship and international-competition-quality accuracy. Personally, I paid $500 for the nearly-new Remington 1911 from a friend.

As for ammo, middle-of-the-road-quality .45 ACP goes for about $25 for a box of fifty rounds.

5. ned

ned Valued Member

Is that cocked and locked and is that how you keep it ? Is that aspect of it's design
    a throwback to the time of it's concept or do some modern weapons work the same way?

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's a single action auto, which is largely a result of it's age. The British army experience of the single action Browning Hi-Power was that people would typically chamber a round then carefully lower the hammer, thumb cocking it when they drew it. Obviously this does carry an increased risk of accidental discharge, but otherwise it's a trade off between slightly increased time to bring your weapon to bear vs increased likelihood of your first shot being on target (single action trigger pull is about half to 2 thirds of double action).
    Modern single action pistols such as the Glock and P7 have a safety integrated into the firing process (in the trigger with a Glock, in the handgrip with an H&K).

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I love 1911s. I had one made by Colt from WW2. My father in law gave my wife his old .38 super colt 1911. I had a vietnam era commander (which I placed a barsto barrel later on). Nice reliable pistols.

Sadly, I gave one to a friend (the commander with the barsto) and have stored the WW2 Colt for the next generation.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Only shot a 1911 once, but was very inpressed with it. Smooth action and very accurate. At $500 that's a nice catch mitlov

10. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Nice 1911! My 1911 was issued to my grandfather in WW2 but was originally built in 1918. It has lost its collectors value because of work that my grandfather did on it, but I love having the piece of history, both for the family and as an iconic gun.

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Oh, I have several friends who have been very happy with the Rock Island 1911, which has a price point in the low $400s.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yes, it is cocked and locked for the photo. You can keep it cocked and locked with a round in the chamber, or you can keep it with the hammer down but an empty chamber. I think it's pretty common to store with an empty chamber, hammer down, but carry cocked-and-locked (in a proper holster--mine is a form-fitted plastic design that fully covers the trigger and the safety, and you can't draw the gun without pressing a button on it while drawing, so the gun can't fall out on its own). Hammer down, with a round in the chamber, is not recommended for 1911s.

I think that both the Sig P938 and the Kimber Solo are both hammer-fired single-action-only pistol, recently designed, that work the same as the 1911.

Although the idea of being "cocked and locked" makes some nervous, I'd argue that cocked-and-locked in a 1911 is less susceptible to accidental discharge than a "thoroughly modern" Glock 19. Neither will fire if dropped. However, the only external safety (automatic or manual) on the G19 is the trigger itself. If the trigger snags on something, the gun will fire. On a 1911, you need the web of your hand to depress that pressure plate on the backstrap, and you need your thumb to flick the thumb safety off. Only then with the trigger do anything. The Glock's advantage is that you can get of a shot marginally quicker, not that it's more protected against accidental discharge.

And even though striker-fire designs like Glock's originated more recently, doesn't mean that they're inherently superior. Heck, the Force Recon element of the United States Marine Corps still uses 1911s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, the Rock Island 1911 is very inexpensive. If someone has one that works well for them and they like it, more power to them. I only meant to suggest that I personally am a little wary, not that I have any sort of evidence that they're less reliable than Remington-manufactured guns, because I don't.

14. Ben Gash CLF

To be fair though they seldom have to deploy it from an inside the pants rig while half in-half out of a car having only realised they were at risk a half second before. Also remember that soldiers are pretty conservative.
    Not saying one's inherently better than the other, just that your illustration is questionable.

15. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Not exactly a 1911 but the Springfield XDs is the most compact 45 I've seen. Perfect for concealed carry. Check it out at www.springfieldarmory.com

16. Ben Gash CLF

Is it more compact than a Colt Officer? Seems on a par with a Glock 36 too

17. Ben Gash CLF

Just looked and the Taurus Millenium Pro comes in .45 which is DEFINITELY more compact than the XD, Kimber also make a range of Officer/Agent clones which are more compact.

18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I was talking about people's concern about "keeping it cocked and locked" and whether it was safe to do so. Obviously a full-size 1911 is not an appropriate gun for the scenario you're describing for many reasons, including the fact that its size and weight make it utterly unsuited for inside-the-waistband conceal carry.

It's a very good gun but it's actually unrelated to the 1911; it's striker-fire design is more closely related to a Glock and other polymer pistols. Though the caliber, narrow single-stack grip, and grip safety may have been inspired by the sheer awesomeness of the 1911 :D

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

All Glocks are double stack designs and thus very wide. The XDS is a single-stack and much narrower. But yeah, in length and height, there are options a lot more compact than the XDS out there.

Oregon allows open carry outside of Portland and Salem. For camping and hiking, I'd just open-carry for comfort reasons, so the size of the 1911 isn't an issue. (And of course for home defense it's not an issue).

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I personally would take a G19 over an XD anyday as a CC, but that coukd be more a testament to how much I like Glocks as to anything else.