Shooting in Self-Defence in the UK

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by panderso, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

You can't tell me why it's stupid though, it's a secret right?

2. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

In other words "argument by authority", a common logical fallacy.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Read the rest of the thread, then read every reply to every single one of your posts.

4. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

Leaving is best because it does not automatically make you guilty.

Numerous cases of someone leaving then being found innocent, you don't lose much if caught, at least in US.

Obviously consult local laws.

5. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

Nope, tell me why I'm wrong or jump off.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually no it isn't in cases where the authority itself is th one required to supply an answer - it is however a common fallacy-fallacy put out by those who need to defend and indefensible position

2/10 - must try harder

7. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

Wrong, you are mis-using it to avoid the merits of the debate. You have presented nothing other than your questionable authority to support your points.

Ad hominem and attacking the man instead of the argument have been used copiously against me.

1/10 try again.

Just tell me why I'm wrong, we can even agree to disagree. I'm reasonable, maybe I can even learn something.

But this is not useful at all.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Fine

You hope - also fails to take into account CCTV

If you leave the scene and there is an offence to be investigated you are now - in technical terms - "a suspect". As such the subsequent enquiries and investigation will reflect that status and you gain NOTHING

Also interesting that you chose to admit to a felony on a website as if that will make your argument more cogent. If you needed charging you would have been charged, which lends little credibility the the rest of the tale

It most certainly is not - if the actions you undertook are indefensible from a legal perspective then you probably shouldn't have done them. This type of "tabloid idiocy assertion" is born of ignorance of the law and it's nuances

There are no laws that explcitly favor the offender AT ALL

Hyperbole wth little to no basis in reality

If he lives you don't get charged with murder either - amazing huh?

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's actually much worse. Shooting a bear that's attacking you is the proper response in an admittedly-rare situation. Shooting someone "to see if the gun is real" is never ever ever ever the right response, regardless of how rare armed attackers are.

All martial arts are training for rare, unlikely situations to some degree. But the least they should do is make sure that what they're teaching for that rare situation doesn't constitute murder.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

:ban:

Hannibal is a police officer, has served as a police officer in two (three?) countries, and probably has a more astute idea of what the law entails.

11. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

The point really was that whilst there are suitable calibres to use for bear hunting, the chances of encountering them in a built up area in the North West of the UK are small enough to make it an area not worth worrying about.

Just like the chances of being mugged by someone with a gun.

I agree though, shooting someone to check if it's a real gun is insane and would basically result in not passing go and not collecting £200.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ben, the Hoff called. He wants to speak to you:

Attached Files:

13. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

And what are your Instructors credentials? He/she is a dumbass!!

14. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Well if you're gonna shoot someone, follow the 21 ft rule at least!! :p

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Unless you're into organised crime, your chances of being "stuck-up" with a firearm are very close to nil in the UK. On very rare occasions innocent civilians get caught by random strays, but what good are pistol disarms then?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Illegal ....it would be considered murder in the OP's scenario

Firearms are dangerous in the hands of people who know how to use them ...in the hands of people who dont they are much worse...

Pull a trigger on a fiream that you know nothing about ...is it re activated has it got the right calliber ammo ? will it explode and blow your hand off ?

Just a few things to consider....

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I may have misunderstood the context then, because I was assuming that the question was raised not about encountering a bear in the UK, but instead a UK resident asking about ammunition choice because he/she was planning ahead for a potential vacation to rural Canada or Alaska. In which case it might be over-preparedness but isn't totally insane either.

Yeah. If you want to know if it's a real gun, (1) drop the magazine and clear the chamber and wait to ask the nice police officers when they respond, or (2) if you must know because curiosity is just killing you, shoot into a pile of bare dirt. Probably not actually legal unless you're in a very rural area, but probably not too severe of a crime either. Certainly won't send you away for life like the OP's instructor's advice would.

18. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

A friend who is a LEO told me a great story about criminals and firearms. He had arrested a guy who had a 9mm on him. Apparently he couldn't afford/acquire the proper ammunition for it. So he put tape around .380 cartridges. One in the pipe and a magazine full of his engineered ammunition.

If you don't know where the firearm came from, you're likely better off using it as a club.

19. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

Sunglasses. At night it's dark, anyhow CCTV will presumably show him pointing a gun at you. Your life is still in danger BTW. lol He can just take the gun if you won't use it. CCTV can't really tell if he's a threat anymore or what he's saying. He could be saying "I'm gonna kill you". Your word against dead man.
    Can't be a suspect if they don't know who you are.

I was cleared of wrongdoing anyway so I'm not sure what you think is about to happen. My GF blackmailed him because he said he would sue me, he beat her up. So you're really on the side of truth and justice this time.
    No matter what he can sue you in civil court and you have to pay for a lawyer, will cost you 10k either way.

I don't really think you understand the law, you read it but you don't see how it actually works.

I'm not saying shoot the guy necessarily but I wouldn't say never shoot him.

Krav Maga is a military martial art, I'm not sure what people are expecting him to say. lol

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  20. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

I got this from a cop in my class.

If you hurt someone right or wrong it will cost 10k, that is if they find you "right". lol

That's why I just leave if I can, I can't afford legal self defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.