Shooting in Self-Defence in the UK

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by panderso, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panderso

panderso Valued Member

We've been practicing gun disarms a lot in my Krav Maga class lately, which is fun. But my instructor keeps insisting that, once you've disarmed the guy and have gotten a safe distance away, our default response should be to go ahead and pull the trigger and shoot our attacker, just to be safe and "make sure the gun is real." If we want, we can just shoot them in the leg... because statistics absolutely support the efficiency of this....:confused:

I have a lot of ethical issues with this advice, but I'm wondering what view the UK legal system would likely take on this?

For simplicity, here's a scenario to work with that's close enough to what practice looks like:

• You're a man, solo, being mugged by one other man (we don't have any women in the class at the moment)
    • The gun is held up to your body... because it's tough to disarm a guy you can't reach...
    • For whatever reason, you can't escape or appease the guy, so you "have" to disarm him.
    • You get the gun away, and get a good safe 8-10 feet out of reach.
    • The attacker is either still standing, or maybe off balance and down on one knee... he's not lying on the ground, but he's not charging you yet either.
    • Instructor's advice is to go ahead and shoot automatically, just to be safe.

How easy or hard will it be to explain to the prosecutor's office that this is justifiable use of force?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Your instructor is a dumbass

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you're a safe distance away then you have no reason to shoot. Why shoot if you're safe?

That's murder, not self defence.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Leave the club.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can't explain it and you instructor is a complete tool who has no damn business instructing

6. Dean Winchester

And you don't shoot someone just to see if the gun is real.

That's just so bizarre as to be unbelievable.

7. Dean Winchester

Do you have a link to your club's website?

8. Hannibal

VIRTUAL GONG SAU!!!!

9. Dean Winchester

Oh and I'm calling "judged by twelve" now.

You know it'll come up.

:D

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think you would get away with that in the United States, much less the UK. He would have to be pursuing you after you disarmed him (who in their right mind would?) for it to probably hold.

Let me restate what I just said: "I don't think you would get away with that in the United States. . . ." and sir, that's saying something believe you me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its things like that that remind me ho terrible Krav instruction can be. Then I remember the guy at a MAP meet years ago who smashed his partners nose during a demonstration and got blood everywhere and feel a bit happier.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

And this is why I'll never step foot in a Krav Maga class.

Why are you even spending time on handgun disarms in the UK? You're more likely to be molested by a TV personality than ever see an illegal handgun.

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Without question, the person who fired the shot would go to prison if those facts ever came up in court. Your instructor needs to seriously reconsider teaching if he genuinely thinks this is good advice to his students, and you'd be better off leaving the club immediately and taking as many people with you as possible. Such irresponsible actions deserve repercussions, regardless of how good he might be at teaching the physical skills.

If someone ever actually followed his recommendations, I wonder what he would think when they went to prison. Same question re when they got back out again...

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

One of the big reasons I train with JWT here on MAP is that all his stuff is legally underpinned. All his drills, all his scenarios, all the analysis we do after training, is done within the framework of legal UK responses.

Tough talk in class is going to sound pretty hollow as you review it from your prison cell, miles from your loved ones.

Mitch

16. panderso

panderso Valued Member

Annnnnd.... that's about the response I expected. Thanks for the confirmation!

I've been deciding what to do about this school for awhile. I think the instructor teaches mostly solid stuff, he's just a little TOO comfortable being violent. Great if he were teaching Israeli special forces, maybe not so much in a class of mostly cab drivers. But, since on a good day I'm also a pacifist, I realise I set my bar differently.

I'll have to think about if there's a way to suggest my instructor tone down his violent daydreams and include better legal advise, or if I'm better off cutting my losses and leaving.

17. Dean Winchester

Just go.

You aren't going to get anything from there you can't find elsewhere.

Got a website?

18. panderso

panderso Valued Member

http://www.mmakravmaga.com/

Unfortunately, I actually haven't found much else in my part of East London that does what they do. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are the only place nearby I've discovered that is trying to focus on effectiveness outside of training, includes various levels of pressure testing, and occasionally revises what they teach when something isn't working. Proximity is a pretty big deal to me if it's going to be a consistent commitment.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

20. Hannibal

Do wrestling and do it now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.