[shooting] Conceal-carry rigs

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Mitlov, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Disclaimer: let's avoid any discussions about "do gun discussions belong on MAP" (see this) or any discussions about "why do you feel you need a gun?" or "private citizens shouldn't own guns because X"[/i]

For various reasons related to my work (civil litigation attorney), I'm getting a concealed handgun license and will be picking up my first handgun (most likely a Ruger LCR) in the near future. I shoot trap and skeet weekly, so I'm not a gun n00b, but I am a CHL n00b.

What are people's preferred carry setups? In-pocket carry? Inside the waistband? Outside the waistband with a covering garment? Ankle? Shoulder? Other? And why do you like the setup you use?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I like appendix carry, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. It allows a faster draw and conceals better, but does take some getting used to. A con I would say is if you're not confident you will never have a negligent discharge it may blow off your cookies. Just make sure you keep your finger off the trigger when drawing.

Since to carry appendix you need inside the waistband, I use a IWB horsehide holster from White Hat. Super comfortable no matter how long I wear it.

3. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

For me it depends on the gun and where. With small, light, 5 shot revolvers I like just putting it in a front jeans pocket because it's easy and conceals it fine. Larger guns I like the Galco wide strap shoulder holster, more comfortable and lets you carry some reloads on the off side. It does have the down side of needing a coat or large shirt to cover it. When out in the woods when concealment isn't an issue I like a belt holster, cross draw belt holster or strong side.

Ankle is tough. Usually conceals well, but slow to access and if you don't get a good fit uncomfortable. I tried it once in a boot. Worked great to conceal it, but I ended up with a small bruise from walking around.

IWB is good for people who don't have a spare tire, or not much of one. :)

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I can see appendix carry as being very convenient, but I'm just a little worried about the potential for the trigger to get inadvertently snagged on clothing or something else while rehostering. I don't intend on making any mistakes rehostering, but as a novice handgunner, I'd feel more comfortable knowing that even if I screwed up, I'd be putting a bullet in the floor or through a buttock instead of through the groin and/or femoral artery.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, I think I need to drop about 20 lbs before IWB is really ideal. But I was intending on doing that anyway.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have a question.
    Are you breaking the law if the gun isn't concealed, or is visible if you were to open your jacket for example?

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Depends on the jurisdiction. There's no uniformity in the United States on the specifics of each state's conceal carry and open carry laws, and it can even vary city-by-city within a single state.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you get a good holster, it's less of an issue. Lots and lots of practice with an empty gun will help as well. If you're using a molded polymer holster, it's not as much of an issue. With leather it does become one, as it can age and snag a trigger if you're not careful.

Try IWB but move it to your hip for a while - it's usually less concealable and comfortable that way but it'll give you a good starting point. Once you get confident, you can try out appendix carry and see if it's for you.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Like Mitlov said, it depends on the state but there are many places where if you have a legally owned handgun you can carry it out in the open on your waist without any kind of permit. There are restrictions on where you can carry it but otherwise it's not illegal. You can expect to get stopped and checked out from time to time though. It becomes tricky too in states where you have concealed carry permits though as then, if you are open carrying, by some interpretations of the law if you don't remove it and place it in the trunk of your car beforehand by entering your car with it still on your hip now it becomes concealed. I don't agree with that, but it's still out there.

To carry it hidden under a shirt or similar, typically you need a concealed carry permit.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

In Oregon, for example, if you are outside of Portland (our biggest city) or Salem (our capitol city), you can open carry a handgun without a permit, and outside of Portland or Salem, you can conceal it only with a conceal-carry permit.

If you're in Portland or Salem, you can't carry at all (open or concealed) without a conceal-carry permit. If you do have a conceal-carry permit, you can carry concealed...or open. That's right, Portland and Salem require that you have a conceal-carry permit in order to open carry. Confused yet?

This is why people curious about the legality of a particular type of carry should check with local law enforcement. Advice from the next state over, or even the next city over, may be bad advice for them. So while I hope this thread will be useful for people as to practical concerns with different types of conceal-carry, as for legal concerns, don't take advice off the internet, folks!

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have a couple of questions on concealed carry.

1. I know states have different gun laws, but for your specific one if concealed is legal but open isn't, are you still allowed to reveal it? Like if for some reason you feel the need to flash open your coat or something to show you're carrying would it then switch to being open carry and be illegal?

2. Has anyone got an opinion on vertical v horizontal shoulder holsters? I'm looking into one for airsoft for an imitation five-seven and I'm unsure which to get :p

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There's no place in Oregon where conceal-carry is legal but open-carry (with a CHL permit) isn't, so I can't answer that. In many states, brandishing a firearm (with or without your hand on it) is a crime. In Oregon it's technically not an offense in and of itself, but if you're revealing that you're carrying (1) to intimidate (as opposed to casual conversation with another firearms owner or something), and (2) you're not doing it in response to an imminent threat of physical violence...there's a good chance the cops will charge you with something and see if it sticks.

As a disclaimer, NONE of this is meant as legal advice, just academic conversation. I'm not verifying the accuracy of my statements. Anyone actually wondering what they can do in the real world should ask a criminal lawyer or consult with law enforcement.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  13. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Inside waistband, I used to be predominantly at hip or kidney, but have recently shifted to appendix. 3/4:00 is more comfortable if you have to do long periods of sitting.

14. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I have an HK P30L, extremely comfortable gun. My brother in law picked me up a Don Hume IWB holster. It's a nice holster, but I don't like how I have to grab the gun to draw it. It's just not comfortable. I will likely pick up a Serpa holster as I've heard some good reviews on them. I like it as the above said... at about 3:00. feels just about right for me.

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

M&P .40 in a Looper leather IWB M&P-C holster at the 0500, FASTmag polymer single-mag case with a 40 degree cant to the back at the 0900-1000.
    Usually it's an open-front short sleeved shirt over the whole deal.

The magazine silhouettes a good bit but I haven't come across a case I prefer to it yet. And anyway, if someone grabs for the shape on my hip, he's going to be briefly disappointed.

16. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

And I tried appendix-carry for a while but couldn't get over the fact that I was covering myself pretty much the whole time I'm carrying so I stopped that.

Now I like the idea of a crossdraw holster situated so that the muzzle points out over the space in front of your hip. Quick draw, elbows in, it stays in your "box" so getting stopped or disarmed during a draw is much more difficult, you're not feeding armlocks, etc.

17. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

IWB carry Philippine Sparrow squad style

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMEVzv0AO4"]Sparrow Hitman Teddy Medina (1980s) - YouTube[/ame]

18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, I gave some thought to appendix carry after hearing about it in this thread, since it seems like it would be very comfortable, but I just can't get over the fact that I'm violating rule #2 ("never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy") every time I holster and unholster.

19. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I carry my duty piece in a blackhawk serpa in open carry, but my concealed piece (45 acp) is carried in a blackhawk cqc 6 concealed holster at the 4 oclock position.. I have no problems with prolonged sitting and it is easy to get to when needed

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Any time you carry a handgun though it's pointing at something you really don't want to blow off your body. That's why you just have to really ingrain to keep your finger away from the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

Too bad this fella forgot that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6UvNgbqIA"]DEA Agent Accidently shoots himself in the foot - YouTube[/ame]