Shoes to Practice on Concrete

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KSW_123, Nov 15, 2005.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for shoes to practice on concrete with. I do a lot of spinning which tends to rip most shoes to shreds. I have tried the TKD shoes with the thin soles and they barely lasted a week. I am on my third pair of old running shoes now. I don't have any old shoes left to destroy. Does anyone know of a shoe that lasts? The TKD shoes worked out to $5 per practice session. I'd like a shoe to last long enough to get it well below $1 for every time I use it.

Help :bang:

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

What are you praticing on concrete? Why are you praticing on concrete? And from the sounds of it I'd suggest boots.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Practicing on concrete is not a good idea. If you MUST, which I fail to see how that could be, then wear good cross training or court shoes.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I don't have much choice about where I practice these days. I have way too much to do (kids/work etc...), so I end up practicing on the driveway. I do mostly forms.

The texture of this concrete is quite rough, not like what is normally in a garage.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Why not go to a hall or gym somewhere and do your dancing there? :D :Angel: :D

6. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I only have about an hour in the morning. If I go to the local Gym, I blow half of that time. I am hoping that soon I will have more time on my hands, but for the next few months I most certainly won't.

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Not knowing you at all I'd also suggest some time management. You could do your forms in the grass in wrestling shoes and save yourself the cost of shoes and wear-n-tear on your body.

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I'd suggest doing it in grass as well if you can. Sure, you'll get little divets from spinning, but that's ok. Just tell people you practice your golf swing...:D

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Most of my training for the last twelve years has been on concrete - in garages and my guru's shop. I've worn out a variety of shoes and have had good results with:

1) Converse Hi-Tops
    2) Yacht shoes (like Sperry Topsiders)
    3) Cross trainers (not good for spinning)

Forget the people who say "You obviously aren't managing your time well. Go to a gym." If you have kids and a job you certainly don't have any spare time. Get your training when and where you can. Besides, who's better? The guy who has to work out on a specially treated hardwood floor or the one who can do his martial arts anywhere?

10. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Thanks, I think I have some old Sperry Topsiders.

11. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

what art do you practice? cross trainers will suffice

12. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Bare Feet

Skin Grows Back

Comes Back Tougher

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Put some kind of vinyl or matting down?

14. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

Er, can I just mention to all these people asking why he is practising on concrete- where do you have fights??

You can't go to a club and say to your attacker 'hang on a minute, the floor isn't right!'

You should practice on all different surfaces. Pavement, concrete, grass, wooden floors, smooth surfaces.

As for shoes - where what you wear going out. Unless you go out in bare feet wera normal shoes. I tend to find reebok classics a good all round shoe

15. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I could practice on the grass because there is a park not too far from my house. The problem is that weapons of any kind are not allowed in public parks in the city I live in, not even bamboo swords. When I practice alone, I do alot of weapons forms.

Bare feet on smooth concrete = no problem.
    Bare feet on 80 grit sand paper (my concrete) = no feet.