Shocking Strikes

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by saru1968, Jul 8, 2006.

1. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

I found this discussion over at http://www.ninjutsuforum.com/showthread.php?t=338

But this bit jumped out at me..

'First, the idea of using "shocking" strikes may not be mainstream Bujinkan.....because the average person in Bujinkan really has neither the skill nor the know how to do them.'

Now i may of course missed this type of training in my ten years of training in the Bujinkan in the Uk but has ANYONE in the uk come across this type of training and if so what were you thoughts?

And if indeed this is an important part of training as suggested by Charles Daniel then is it only taught at certain levels to certain individuals?

Dale, Norm, Ben et al, have you ever come across this type of training?

you thoughts, everyone?

:)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Interestingly enough, I have been doing a lot of Koto ryu this year and my teacher hasn't mentioned the 'shocking with chi' strikes. Yet, I am always shocked whenever he hits me, because I am not in a place to resist it.

3. Tengu6

Tengu6 Valued Member

Certain nerve strikes feel like a shock, but beyond that...... :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should seek the council of Emporer Palpatine?

No one really knows enough to be a skeptic but in my experience people who discuss these things do so because of a lack of physical skill. In fact, it is this type of stuff that distracts from what chi really is and paints legitimate chi practitioners in a bad light.

Just my opinion.

Markk Bush

4. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

I know it sounds werid but as its being backed by Charles Daniels who has quoted he has 30 years experience and has remarked in his post on the other forum that

'Second, the last time I spoke to Dr. Hatsumi about this very topic, he assured me that not only did he know the method, but he felt that people within Bujinkan could profit from working with it. And let me add, there were other Americans present at the meeting so you can easily confirm that statement'

'Last, how can you be sure that what you take to be "mainstream" Bujinkan is not simply the watered down version given to weekend warriors? I can assure you that when I did the original translation of the Ten Chi Jin manual..and ALL versions out there today in English stem from work I did with the help of the Japanese back in 1982....we filtered out the more dangerous techniques because we had no intention of floating some of that stuff out there where well-intention but unskilled instructors would injury students.
    As a final note, I don't "sell" any of this stuff. Unlike the few people that have been doing this art as long as I have (30 years), I have never had a school and when I do teach (generally in my back yard), it's free. It's also not open to the public. '

So,my thinking is IF this is valid aspect we should learn, how and to whom do we learn this from?

5. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Learn from Soke. Why get the freeware version, when you can go to the source and get the full package. ;)

6. Tengu6

Tengu6 Valued Member

I certainly would trust Charles Daniel, he does have a lot of experience in a LOT of areas.

Markk Bush

7. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

On the second page of the discussion there are some additions that should be taken when reading what Saru1968 quoted.

So the shocking strikes have nothing to do with ki, chi, prana, or anything like that. They are another way of striking and nothing more.

And they are not dangerous stuff, nor is there dangerous stuff involving ki that has been stripped out of the mainstream Bujinkan. The dangerous stuff seems to be only ways of throwing someone so they can't land safely. I have learned that stuff from my teacher. But I would guess that the Japanese did not want someone trying to learn that type of stuff on their own from notes.

So let us keep this in context and drop the comments about chi, ok?

I have to say, I have seen a lot of folks that can't even do the basic punch. I can imagine why something more advanced has not been stressed more if many of the folks out there have not even got the basic style right.

And I note that Charles Daniel said that he talked to Soke about it, but did not say that he learned the technique from Soke. He talks about being able to see it in the videos of Soke. My teacher has never shown me this, and maybe doesn't know it. But I might try viewing a few videos of Soke and seeing if I can catch, then copy the punch before my next trip to go train with Soke in Japan. I know a Japanese shihan that might be willing to show me it as long as I do a little research ahead of time.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  8. Granto

Granto Banned Banned

that shooto to the back of the neck on an upwards angle really feels like you've been hit by an electric shock, i g uess it's more to the base of the skull, but damn.

you really feel 'shocked' :D

9. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Although i see why you posted it Grim, the thread starter was refering to Chi strikes, it was only later on that Charles Daniel(lions Roar) clarified this issue, so my post was not in ill intention, just curious interest.....

10. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

And I realize that. It just needed to be made clear that this was not about Chi.

I personally would love to learn more about a Koto ryu strike like this. Now that I know what to ask, I am already getting ready for my next trip to train with a Japanese shihan in Japan and ask them. So your thread has done a lot of good for me. I just hope the shihan doesn't look at me and say that I need to get the basic punch down before I more onto ryu-specific stuff.