Shisochin kata

Discussion in 'Karate' started by melbgoju, Apr 25, 2020.

1. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Hi all, I've been remiss in my posting here - it's been over a year since I last did anything on this site. Sorry about that, I got less interested in the online MA world for a while there.

Anyway, the karate forum here is pretty quiet, so I thought I would post some video of me using practising shisochin kata, and using the kata to practise some different things. If you're just wanting to see the kata, just watch the first minute - the rest is me isolating small sections of it and trying out different methods of power generation, and solo-attempting application practice using a belt and a stick. It's just not the same without someone else to train with, but you've just got to do the best with what you have.

Travess, axelb, Mitlov and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Awesome! That's so different than Shotokan and Tang Soo Do katas that I don't have a lot to share, but awesome on you for (1) keeping up with training during the pandemic, and (2) sharing.

And great to see some activity in the karate forum!

melbgoju and Travess like this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Nice Video Mel - Thanks for sharing.

It's always of interest to me to view stylistic differences within Kata, and to see how other clubs perform certain techniques, and transitions, as well as the variations in timing.

For reference, the above is a recent (last Wednesday) video of myself, running thru Shisochin.

Travess

melbgoju and Mitlov like this.
  4. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Thanks guys!
    Travess, I fully agree about seeing different interpretations/approaches to kata, and trying to work out what the intention of/reasons for the differences are. Thanks for sharing your shisochin, there were quite a few similarities, but some notable differences too (the most notable for me was the turns to the four directions, where you were stepping backwards in some).

I'll put up some different kata over the next little while - in this new iso-world we live in, I've been taking lots of videos for self-review - sort of being my own instructor if you will.

Travess likes this.
  5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Excellent - I look forward to you sharing them.

Travess