Shinjuku Incident - Jackie Chan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Coges, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Anyone seen this? I saw it yesterday. Very interesting for a JC movie. Not what you would normally expect.

Story revolves around Chinese illegal immigrants in Japan and what they have to do to survive and make a living. I was initially a little put off considering I knew there was none of the trademark JC fighting and humour but I have to admit it was well worth a watch. Probably the most violent JC movie I have seen as it treads the familiar territory of the modern gangster movie. There are a couple of disturbing scenes but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Overall well worth a look to see him do something different and has many familiar faces including Ken Lo, Daniel Wu, Bingbing Fan, Kar Lok Chin, etc.

2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I bought the uncut 2 disc set in Hong Kong and attempted to watch it a few weeks ago, but failed. I actually fell asleep watching it!

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from it, I knew that it wasn't your typical Jackie Chan movie and no body would be 'kung fu fighting', but, for me, it was surprisingly dull.

Still, seeing as I fell asleep during it, I'm willing to give it another go.

Still, there's rumour of a Project A III... :cool:

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Yeah it's certainly not a fast paced movie and not one of his best but I didn't mind it. I have a bad habit of falling asleep during slow movies ubt I made a concerted effort to at least watch it through.

I haven't heard about project A III. That sounds great. Wonder if it'll have Sammo and Yuen Biao as well.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

(i swear i started a thread on this)

I enjoyed the film thoroughly. I didnt know what to expect either, apart from a basic synopsis that its based on Chinese illegals getting to Japan.
    A very different direction to JC's usual haunts, which in my opinion gives a fresh feel to him. A bit wiffy in the 3rd act of "I only did crime to help you guys, now we're triads so stop commiting crimes".
    I hope he does keep on with drama roles, everyone always forgets, he is just as talented an Actor as he is a stunts performer. As his last few outings havent been great.

Especially "Accidental Spy" (for personal reasons)

5. Topher

Topher allo!

I've heard of Armour of God 3 too.

6. Coges

Coges Valued Member

I did search but didn't come up with anything.

I'm not too sure that he's that good a dramatic actor. The parts that put me off are his crying scenes. They just feel way too forced. Having said that the majority of his performance was really heartfelt. Agreed about the third act though. It was almost like a couple of movies in one.

7. Mushroom

He's a classically trained Chinese Opera performer. He was the resident "female lead" as in the troupe, girls were not allowed (at the time i think...not up on my Chinese Opera history).
    So the listing of him wont be in IMDB or anything, thats basically how his choreography technique is based from and where his acting is based from. He took further classes to adapt his acting technique for feature films.

For some reason this film reminded me of his extremely ridiculously hard to find: Thunderbolt http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114126/.
    Theres action, but its very limited MA action. As its essentially Days of Thunder+Jackie Chan :p (stock car racing is a huge interest to JC)

8. Coges

Coges Valued Member

I loved Thunderbolt. Especially the scene in the pachinko parlour. I've got a really bad Taiwanese copy of it. It's slightly blurry in some scenes and the subtitles are terrible but it's still one of my favourites.

9. Mushroom

The only copy I got of Thunderbolt is an original VCD from a decade ago when I was in HongKong and it was in the bargain bin. It had a very limited DVD release and then it disappeared.

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I had no idea 'Thunderbolt' was a limited pressing, I remember absolutely hating it when I saw it, it was worse than 'Days of Thunder' if that was possible.

However, CDUniverse has copies for sale as does Amazon's Marketplace and there appears to be multiple copies on ebay across different formats (VHS, VCD and DVD).

:cool: