Shin Shin Ryu Jujutsu?

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by karateman7, Jul 10, 2011.

1. karateman7

karateman7 Valued Member

Has anyone ever heard of this?

I can't find anything.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

4. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hmm, I'm aware of a Shinshin Ryu Iaijutsu, which is a branch of Sekiguchi Ryu Iaijutsu (Sekiguchi Shin Shin Ryu Iaijutsu, often shortened to Shinshin Ryu), but, although other branches of Sekiguchi Ryu are well known as Jujutsu Ryu, I haven't come across any Shinshin Ryu Jujutsu as a Koryu system. My guess is, though, that it is a form of Sekiguchi Ryu.

One quick question, if you haven't found anything about it, where did you hear of it in the first place?

5. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkfMyk1HKr8"]YouTube - ‪é–¢å£æ–°å¿ƒæµæŸ”è¡“‬‏[/ame]

6. karateman7

karateman7 Valued Member

Thanks. I saw those websites you pulled up but I was unsure of whether it was the same. There was a shin shin ryu that seems to be american based and then there's the Sekiguchi that seems to be more of the koryu.

I was just a little skeptical.

7. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Lots of confusion! :)
    I practiced Shin Shin ryu iai for about six years (my knees couldn't take the tobiichigai!) and here is what I know to try and clear up the confusion. Shin Shin ryu is koryu iaijutsu. Shin Shin Sekiguchi ryu is koryu jujutsu. They were taught together by the Sekiguchi family for a long while, but separated quite a number of years ago. There is no koryu jujutsu in Shin Shin ryu, only iai.
    There is, however, some fellow that decided to create his own jujutsu school and call it Shin Shin ryu (despite there already being a koryu by that name). This is from his Youtube channel ... "Joe Addair decided to develop his system even further utilizing decades of martial art experience and now teaches what is known as Shin Shin Ryu Jutsu."

The little bit of his stuff that I watched bears absolutely no resemblance to koryu jujutsu. Here's his web site if anyone wants to know more about him ... http://www.sleepingstormdojo.com/

8. karateman7

karateman7 Valued Member

Ah thank you for clearing that up. It's a shame when names are misrepresented. Does the art injustice. It would be great to pick up a jjj school in the dc area. Guess il have to keep looking.

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Just to clarify things.

There's Shin Shin Sekiguchi-ryu (新心関口流)which does iai

there's Sekiguchi Shinshin-ryu (関口新心流) in Wakayama Prefecture which do jujutsu, kogusoku, kenjutsu and a small amount of iai.

There's also Sekiguchi-ryu iai (関口流抜刀術) in Kumamoto and in Kansai.

N.B. The Kumamoto and Kansai lines of Sekiguchi-ryu write the kanji of their art as "battojutsu", but pronounce it as "iai".

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Alarm bells are ringing already...

So you hold one grade but have knowledge of another? Amazing......

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Thanks for the clarification Steve,

I did not know that the Wakayama Sekiguchi ryu group still did any sword in their curriculum. I was under the impression that they were working toward reviving the sword work, but my understanding was secondhand so I very well could be wrong.