shin atemi japanese MMA?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by furinkazan, Jun 14, 2014.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I came across a style called Shin Atemi, also listed as Japanese MMA. Does anyone have any experience in it or what it is about? All I know is it is some kind of hybrid style, but of what I am uncertain.

I hear it isn't the same as normal atemi, and is a rename to seperate itself from other styles claiming to be atemi jitsu

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. ToddR

ToddR New Member

Hey

Hey guys, I run the shin Atemi dojo in London, its a hybrid system... Pretty much mma in a gi. Fairly similar to kudo but aimed more towards street defence.

4. Dead_pool

Hi todd! Whos the founder? What background is shin atemi based on?

5. ToddR

ToddR New Member

Hi fusen, There is no single founder really, every instructor gets a say, we got together as a group as we were tired of politics and money grabbing etc. instructors have various backgrounds in different styles. We have a very basic syllabus to build a good base and then after that students have a lot of freedom to grow in the way that suits them best. So similar to kudo in that sense only we have a syllabus where kudo does not.

6. Dead_pool

Sounds good, who formulated the syllabus then and what is its general structure / training methods?

7. ToddR

ToddR New Member

I had a lot of input on the syllabus myself but so did some of the other instructors. The syllabus is very simple various strikes, blocks, kicks, throws & takedowns and then ground work. Lots of drilling, conditioning and Kumite involved.

8. Dead_pool

You seem to use a lot of kyokushinkai terminology, is that you background? Where does the "atemi" name come from?

9. ToddR

ToddR New Member

The stand up side is very similar to kyokushin but we incorporate a lot of sabaki

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

11. Dead_pool

Todd you seem pretty keen not to discus your own background or any of the others founder background, is there a reason for that?

12. ToddR

ToddR New Member

Eh? I have no problem discussing anything man I'm just new to all of this sorry, where are you based? Much easier in person haha.

Instructors have various experience in different styles that's the thing (mainly karate styles) but then A lot also have grappling experience aswell. My main background is karate based I started out in shotokan when I was younger and then moved in to other styles as a grew older to start being more well rounded.

Heraclius (sorry I'm not sure how to tag your name or anything yet) not quite enshin but in that ball park with regards to movement, we have our own versions which are fairly simple and then as you progress they start to incorporate take downs/grappling etc.

13. Heraclius

There's a button in the bottom-right corner of each post that says "quote". Clicking this will allow you to, well, quote people :p.

14. ToddR

ToddR New Member

Ah I see! Cheers man :) is there any way of getting notifications of somebody replying on a thread?

(Sorry to be a total noob lol)

15. hext

hext Valued Member

16. Heraclius

MAP sends you an email (to the account you used to sign up) every time a thread you're subscribed to (including any threads you've posted in) gets a new response. The home page also updates whenever someone posts.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  17. ToddR

ToddR New Member

Oh I've not been getting emails :(

I'll have to look into that

18. ToddR

ToddR New Member

(Think I'm doing this quote thing right?)

Hi hext where are you based?

19. Dead_pool

So your a shotokan blackbelt? With enshin/kyokushinkai experience?
    Where is the grappling from? Which art, which grade?

20. ToddR

ToddR New Member

I have judo experience aswell and also some ju jutsu. And plenty of full contact experience (not enshin) I've done plenty of kyokushin but I'm with a group in Japan called shieijyuku karate it is very similar to kyokushin but with more emphasis on sabaki than standing toe to toe and slugging it out. I'm still part of shieijyuku in Japan but they know that the focus here is Shin Atemi.

Anything else? This feels like a job interview lol