Sharing the Kuk Sool Love

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Silentmonk, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Ok lets put a kuk sool family thread on here and make us all feel nice for being in one big family.

Right reason for this thread is I just spent a really bizarre trip with some friends on here to a tourny. The whole trip from start to finish was a little bit of an emotional journey to me. On it I got the opportunity to realise that actions and interactions can cause people problems you never mean to, and that as such the wrong impression can be put forward. First impressions count but they don't have to last. I was lucky enough to get the chance to talk through something with someone who I never ever thought I probably would, and I should think he didn't expect to either. I think we both surprised each other with who we actually were as people. I was lucky I got the opportunity to sit down and have a rankless chat with someone as a human being and change my whole oppinion of them. Hopefully I changed theirs of me a little too. I have a total new found respect for that person, as anyone who will sit down and talk to me and listen to my oppinion whether they agree with it or not and allow me to have that, then I will respect theirs too. particulary given the situation, location and rank differences.

Ok thats a long winded public appology for something I did, I can't name the person as I promised I wouldn't and he asked me not to but seriously I meant everything I said and I am truly sorry. You are a true gentleman and deserve my respect sir. :)

Anyway that got me thinking I've ended up with quite a few friendships from relationships that started off a bit ropey, Airnick is one of my best friends for life ( I can actualy openly say that now I think as he isn't hiding me from anyone and it won't cause him issues I hope. Oh by the way if he is hiding me you don't need to involve him, just PM me its not a secret who I am. I am perfectly willing to tell you who I am if there is reason. I just didn't want my oppinion to be taken as a reflection of the people I train with or under, its not, it's my oppinion period ) My scottish brother and I started really bad now I don't know how I survived so many years without him as a friend.

So the point of this thread is.... share the love, we come on here enough and say who we don't like and why. Tell people who you like and why you like them. Tell them what you have learnt from them how they have changed your life. Afterall it's not all about the techniques its about the journey, about the mind map you create. Not just for doing the art but for living your lifes. These people are the ones who help you become who you are, let them know they made a difference.

:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. JSun

JSun Valued Member

:eek:

Wow! I have to say, Monk, I don't know you, but this is the last type of post I expected you to write. Congrats on your epiphany, though. Sounds like you learned a lot about yourself on your trip, both martially and emotionally. I hope you guys are coming to the States soon, as I'd like to sit down and have a chat over a pint with you myself!

3. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm glad you got a chance to talk with whoever it might be.

As I posted earlier, I moved out of state two-three weeks ago. That's been an emotional journey too, though not quite as traumatic as I had expected. Then again, I'm still in temporary housing, and I haven't seen how my things shipped.

When we came here to house-hunt, we found a Korean buffet that was very good. Today I discovered that the house we're looking at is only about two-three blocks away from that restaurant :D .

We have been looking around at the local martial arts scene, since there wasn't an existing Kuk Sool school here. It feels strange, but I've done my best to visit with respect, and I think they've gone quite well.

There's some good schools, though I'm not sure they're quite what I want.
    I still have fond memories from my TKD training ten-twelve years ago, but compared to Kuk Sool, TKD seems very limited.

Sometimes I wonder what we're thinking to try teaching KS here, as JKNs, when there's Korean masters (of TKD) in town. And then I watched what TKD has to offer (forms, sparring, breaking... good stuff, and good skill... but to me, compared to KS, it feels limited), and think maybe we've got something to offer after all.

It's also been interesting to note which schools are teaching which sword grips.

But that's also how we found our way to Korean language lessons last week, at a local church. Second class tomorrow :)

4. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

Great Idea

Thanks for Posting that Monk!

I have been really lucky to study with some great instructors and classmates who have become really good friends.

I'm still waiting for their awsome skills to rub off on me, but they are patient with me anyway...you know who you all are.

On another feel good note....Congrats to the one who always gets me with the round/hook...and your Beautiful New wife! Many happy years to the both of you.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  5. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

One of the reasons I joined MAP was to meet new people in KS, especially WKSA, to get to know them, and maybe pass on some helpful advice, or get some. There are many people that may not necessarily like some of my opinions, and probably me. Thats ok, I never have been a big "people person".

I had a sig that was a exerp from an old country song. "them that don't know him, wont like him; and them that do sometimes wont know how to take him" this has basically been my experience with people.

I dont know if its because often I'm very direct, if you ask my opinion Im going to give my honest opinion. Or because my view on most things is a bit askewed. I think the major issue is that I just dont care what people think of me. Thats their problem to work out, not mine.

I have met some very informative people through MAP, and learned alot about some of the people I already knew. Most for the better. I have generated several friendships that have brought me some interesting experiences. And hope when tourny gets here plan on meeting some of you from the UK,and other parts of the US, formally. I truely believe if we as an organization can learn how to communicate and build friendships with others in the Org., we will all be better for it. And WKSA, more importantly we as people will be stronger.

I think also people get bent because they are passionate about KS or whatever the subject, and in that passion we forget that this is just one persons opinion, and instead of trying to prove the opinion wrong; we get hostile or hard headed, caught up in the moment, and lose our head.

Anyway Im feeling all warm and fuzzy right now, so good night, morning, aftenoon, or evening to all of you.

6. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

See thats one of the things that came out in that chat. Perception and how misleading it can be.

If you did know me Jsun, this would be exactly the type of post you would expect me to write as the underlying message in this thread is exactly the driving passion behind a lot of my posts anyway. :)

Hopefully there is going to be a whole load of us over in the fall so yeah I'd love to go have that drink with you and chat, but mines something non alcoholic mate I don't drink :)

7. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

I'll have his :)

8. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

Whey hey silent monk glad you worked out......!!!!!

Fighting chance, i think you are referring to me??? Thank you very much to your congrats.

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I have had the pleasure of training with many great Kuk Sool people.

The great ones all have one thing common. They don't talk about training and what would be great to do, they do it.

Because of these folks, I've been pushing myself more in this direction. Hence, why I haven't been on MAP much lately.

10. JSun

JSun Valued Member

and your insight has certainly been missed. :cry:

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Thanks.
    I'll be around more now. The past few months have been quite painful (in a good way) for me.

12. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

Yes...I'm talking about you, and your welcome. Although on the round/hook kick, i think it might have been followed up by some sort of punch. I could be wrong, i was to shocked to notice.

P.S. All I hear was that your Locoduck was the prettiest Bride the Boyz had ever seen. We are all really happy for you....though can't wait for you to get back to class....it's driving us all bonkers over there. Bring LocoDuck!