Shaolin - The History

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Anth, Mar 27, 2008.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Am i to understand that you practice a martial art that was invented in the United States?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

A Martial Art can be invented anywhere there is a knowledgeable human

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In some case even the knowledge is an afterthought....*cough* Yellow Bamboo *cough*

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

But does that make it Gung Fu?

5. Hannibal

Why doesn't it?

If the regional variance is what makes it specifically kung fu - eg HAS to be in China - then there is a (weak) case to be made...but Bruce was Chinese and spoke Chinese therefore JFGF/NCGF can be said to be Chinese

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If Kung Fu isn't chinese martial arts, what is it?

Also, wasn't Bruce Lee technically an American?

7. Hannibal

VERY technically yes

And you misunderstand my point - it IS Chinese Martial arts, but that does not mean the origin has to be within Chinese Geographic borders

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I was under the impression that Chinese martial arts outside of China came under the umbrella of Kuntao?

9. Hannibal

No, that is a specific - although broad - style

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Fair enough, but i still can't help but wonder, given all the known non Chinese influences in Bruce Lee's work, and the fact that the style is as far as i know, not really taught in China, how it is a Chinese martial art?

11. 47MartialMan

If taught by Chinese, studied by anyone else. Or could be a Chinese invented while not in China

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  12. Hannibal

It's nucleus remains Wing Chun, and Bruce had far more exposure to the Chinese arts than others (he first style is technically Taiji) - plus he is Chinese!

If China recognise it as an official style I fail to see why it should cause issue elsewhere :dunno:

13. 47MartialMan

So Chinese Martial Arts CAN BE invented elsewhere

14. Hannibal

Japanese ones are - BJJ :)

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I guess, but that is sort of like saying krav is technically a Hungarian/Slovak martial art, i mean, sure, he was Chinese, but most of his students were not, and while i am not an expert, most of the innovations that caused it to be distinct from Wing Chun happened in america, and came from non Chinese sources.

16. Hannibal

According to myth Kung Fu came from India :)

I takle your point though, I just don't think it is relevant or even worth getting into on anything other than a pint chat

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

But its almost certain that the chefs who made the dumplings were born within sight of the Yangtze.

Do I really think one could tell the difference in a blind-folded taste test? Nahh...but they believe so; which is why even the little hole-in-the-walls often make a big to-do about hiring cooks from the Mainland.

I recall after my wife's Stateside aunt and uncle began doing well they would make long weekend excursions back to Guangzhou for "authentic Cantonese cuisine".

After a few years had past and the need to prove that they'd done well had faded (going back to the old country for the food something of a status symbol in a food-centric culture) they admitted that there wasn't any real difference in the food in the PRC and what they could often buy in local restaurants and shops in the States.

Time and separation had made the differences greater than they were.

Applicable to the MA topic? :dunno:

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Exactly, it went to China, people fiddled with it, it became kung fu, then when it went to Okinawa, people fiddled with it, and it became karate.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I just feel like dumplings.

20. 47MartialMan

Actually, it went to China, people fiddled with it, it became Quan Fa (Gong fu is a misnomer)