Shaolin Shinobi's Introduction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shaolin_Shinobi, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Shaolin_Shinobi

Shaolin_Shinobi New Member

Hi, my name is Tom.
    I'm 21 as of now.
    I've been interested in martial arts for as long as I can remember.
    There are many styles I would like to study & train in.
    The styles interest me the most are Shaolin Kung Fu & Ninjutsu.
    I'm in fairly good shape as of right now.
    However, I have very little martial arts training so far.

I'm in a period of change in my life. My main focus is on bettering myself. Martial arts are a large part of my dream, they play an important part in the goals of my life. I've somewhat recently become a workaholic. I'm sure that when the time comes & I'm able to start training I will apply the same diligence and determination that I have to work to my training.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. Shaolin_Shinobi

Me
    • What art do you do? I want to train in Shaolin Kung Fu & Ninjutsu.
    • What grade are you? I have very little former training, not enough for me to merit.
    • Where are you? I currently live in Northern California, USA.
    • What other hobbies do you have? (Obviously) I have a love for martial arts. Besides that, I love art, music, computers, & business. Like most men, I also have a weakness for beautiful women.

I've had some boxing training with a private boxing instructor.
    I've also taken Jujutsu for a little while. Unfortunately due to various circumstances, I ended up moving away.
    I do not consider these as part of my past training, since they were both under a year.

As I mentioned previously, I want to train in Shaolin Kung Fu & Ninjutsu. Those are the styles that I am most passionate about. I know that Shaolin & Ninjutsu may be considered by some to be quite opposite. However, I believe that both arts can be practiced in balance & harmony with each other.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. Shaolin_Shinobi

Shaolin Kung Fu

I would like to train at the Shaolin Wahnam Institute. Sifu Wong Kiew Kit is the instructor that I like to train under.
    I want to going to China to train, preferably for 1-2 years.
    Sifu Wong Kiew Kit & the Shaolin Wahnam Institute seem to break down Shaolin Kung Fu into 3 parts:
    Shaolin Qigong (Chi Kung), Shaolin Kung Fu, & Zen.
    ^^ (Internal) ^^ , ^(External)^ , & ^(Meditation).
    (Quite similar to the health concepts of the mind, body, & spirit.)
    Sifu Wong Kiew Kit also teaches Taijiquan (Tai Chi), and as such I would most likely study some Taijiquan as well. (From the Shaolin Wahnam wiki) 'Taijiquan is also an integral part of the Shaolin Wahnam Institute'. ​
    Here are some links related to Shaolin & the school/sifu I would like to train at/with.
    --> Shaolin Monastery (少林寺)
    shaolin-wahnam.org
    shaolin-wahnam.com (redirects to shaolin.org)
    shaolin.org
    wongkiewkit.com
    wongkiewkit.com/forum
    wiki/Qigong
    wiki/Shaolin_Kung_Fu
    wiki/Zen
    wiki/Taijiquan

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  4. Shaolin_Shinobi

Ninjutsu

I would like to train Ninjutsu at the Bujinkan Organization. Soke Masaaki Hatsumi is the instructor that I like to train under.
    I want to going to Noda, Chiba, Japan to train, preferably for 1-2 years. (I would then continue my Ninjutsu training for life, probably at a dojo in the US)
    The system taught by the Bujinkan Organization is called Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu.
    Soke Masaaki Hatsumi & the Bujinkan Organization seem to break down Ninjutsu into various parts & subsystems.
    From his instructor, Hatsumi inherited the position of sōke (headmaster) of nine ryū (schools of martial arts).
    There are 18 training areas that modern Togakure-ryū focuses on.
    I know that there has been some concern & controversy surround Masaaki & the Bujinkan organization. I don't care. I also know that some martial artists think badly on Ninjutsu. Some people say that Ninjutsu has no honor, is evil/deadly, or is a fraud. Training Ninjutsu may teach you some 'dirty' tricks, but that doesn't mean that it has no honor. Although Ninjutsu may be a deadly art, it also teaches some of the same peaceful teaching that many martial arts teach (fighting as a last resort).If you don't like Ninjutsu, or don't respect it, please refrain from posting about it in this thread.
    Ninjutsu(忍術) is sometimes used interchangeably with the term ninpō (忍法)

Here are some links related to Ninjutsu & the school/soke I would like to train at/with.
    --> ***
    bujinkan.com
    ninjutsu.com/soke-hatsumi
    ninjutsu.com/hombudojo
    bujinkansf.org
    wiki/Ninjutsu
    wiki/Togakure-ryū
    wiki/Bujinkan
    wiki/Masaaki_Hatsumi

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Well I cant help with Shaolin

Maybe with ninjutsu though....

6. Shaolin_Shinobi

Have you studied Ninjutsu gapjumper?

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You might find it useful to read the Ninjutsu forum to get some background reading in.

8. Shaolin_Shinobi

Thank you Winchester.
    Ya I saw the Ninjutsu forum and I skimmed through it.
    I'm sure I'll read a lot more soon enough.
    :)

9. Shaolin_Shinobi

Can some mods answer a question for me?
    (Or someone with experience in this matter?)

I do want to train with the Bujinkan school.
    However I might also train in some other (ninjutsu) schools.
    The more I read, the more I see controversy surrounding Ninjutsu practitioners.
    When & where would be a good place/time to ask people for their opinion on which school(s) I should consider training at?
    I just don't want it to turn into a flame-war.
    (Or will it be impossible to have a good discussion on that matter?)

I have a great interest in the art of Ninjutsu, I just don't want to stir-up trouble.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Pick a school and stick with it for a minimum of six months.

It is no good swapping and changing styles at your early stage, it'll just end up confusing.

You need a solid six months two or three times a week just to get a base to work from.

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

It's worth mentioning that Wong Kiew Kit/Wahnam Shaolin does not have such a great reputation. Having spoken to several of their practitioners, the whole thing comes across as a bit of a cult, with a lot of worship going on of Mr. Wong, who's own skill doesn't look to be that great when you look at his performances.

12. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Search google for Bujinkan dojos close to you. Send them an email.

You can also post your results in the ninjutsu forum and one of the instructors may even be on here.

As for other orgs. Genbukan and Jinenkan are legit and the main differences may be just teaching method, the material is (mostly) from the same source.

Outside of those be VERY careful. Lots of people seem to teach any old rubbish and pretend it's ninjutsu. If you have others check in the ninjutsu forum!!!

Like Simon said though you may struggle with starting two styles at the same time...

Most importantly, have fun!

13. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Just a mod note: Shaolin Shinobi, you will need 50 posts on the forum at large before you can post in ninjutsu (and please do not spam as some have done in the past in order to quickly get their count up).

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

And here I thought you were going to mention that it is probably difficult to learn T'ai Chi from someone who doesn't have a T'ai chi background.

Wasn't he supposed to have the ability to change the weather with his ch'i?

They also ban folks from their forums who ask for answers or wish to discuss questionable claims.

So,Mr. Shinobi- you wanna get involved with folks like that?

Welcome to MAP,good hunting.

15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Aye, that too :p Did you ever see any of his 'Tai Chi' videos??? Makes me feel ok about my level!

I resemble that remark :)

16. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

welcome to the forum

17. Shaolin_Shinobi

I would like to start out by thanking you all for the quick & quality responses. I would have replied sooner, but I've been busy with life.
    (Worked a double yesterday, & I participated in a local zombie-walk.)

Also, can anyone tell me how/when I can upload a custom avatar pic?
    (Thanks.)

Thank you Dormindo.

I saw the memo on needing to be a valued member, I just didn't know the technical definition of it. I've been on other forums before in the past & I know that spamming is not good etiquette. I don't appreciate it, and others don't either.

With that being said, I also know that spamming is not necessary if you actually visit/use the forum often. Your post count will build with time. I would much rather be known for having well thought out, helpful posts.

I probably won't do much posting in the Ninjutsu forum for a while, as I still have no training in Ninjutsu. Also it seems to be a place where tension is high, and arguments can start quickly. (Just based off of what I've read so far.) So I imagine most of my time there will be spent lurking and hopefully learning.

Thank you Simon.

I'm planning on training in the styles of my choice for 1-2 years.
    Although, I may stop do to some self-evaluations at around 6 months.
    If I feel that I'm not learning anything, then I may switch to another style.

I think I read in one of your posts that you had previously trained in Shaolin. Do you mind if I ask where you trained and with whom?

Thank you Meitetsu.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  18. Shaolin_Shinobi

Thanks. As of yet, I haven't spoken to any of their practitioners, or gone to any training seminars or demonstration. (Not due to lack of want, just do to not having sufficient funds.) So I cannot say if they do or don't come off as a cult to me. As for his skill, I can't truly vouch for him. I own two of his books and they seem to be quite informing. They brush upon some of the myth-like claims of some Kung Fu practioners, but that's it. Most of the book describes Kung Fu history, theory, conditioning, and basic training methods. (They state that obviously you're going to want a sifu, although I don't think states that it needs to be.)

After doing some reading on MAP I've realized that I just need to try to learn as much as I can here, remember what I read, but not become disheartened. (After all, a forum should be a positive place right?) I think when it comes down to it, I will have to meet WKK, and possibly train at the Wahnam school to really be able to tell for myself if they're legit or not. I've been wanting to train with this school for a while, and I don't want to quickly give up on those plans as per some recommendations.

With that being said, I do appreciate the info Dan Bian.
    Thank you. :)

Obviously no, I would not. I would want my training to be as authentic as possible. (If that is even anywhere near possible with Shaolin..) That is one of the reasons I'm aiming for a more traditional Kung Fu. As with Ninjutsu as well, I'm not just aiming to train for self defense, I would also like to learn their authentic styles. (Once again, if possible..)

Thanks for the info El Medico.
    Good hunting to you as well.
    :)

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I trained in Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu. It was over 25 years ago and the class is long since dead.

It gave me a good base. I was strong and insanly flexible. I enjoyed it, but I was probably a bit flicky with some of my striking.

That may have been the fault of the instructor.

20. Shaolin_Shinobi

On a side note, there are a few other styles that I'm (very) interested in learning:

Krav Maga
    Russian Systema
    Wing Chun
    JKD

Many thanks Gapjumper.
    I think I will continue my plan and study at a Bujinkan.
    Then maybe after a year there, I might try studying at a Genbukan &/or Jinenkan dojo. I figure this way my training will be a bit more broad. Also f I'm ever asked about my thoughts on this dojo vs that dojo, I can actually give a good answer.