Shaolin schools/dojos in Canada.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by vickbd, Dec 21, 2005.

1. vickbd

vickbd New Member

My deepest apologies if this has been asked numerous times.

I am looking for Shaolin Gong/Kung fu schools or dojos near my area.

I live in Laval (not too far away from Montreal),Quebec, Canada.

It'd be kind if anyone would help me find a school.

So far I've only found one which I'm truley interested in: http://www.shaolinquebec.com/

A future thanks to all!

*Dojo-locaters would be appreciated too :)*

2. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

3. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

4. vickbd

vickbd New Member

"Kwooooooooooooooooooooon".

Thanks TheDarkJester and onyomi. :rolleyes:
    Appreciate it.

Xie Xie!

5. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  6. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  7. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Yeah I could kind of tell the difference.
    Modern wushu is more of a gymnastic art with a point system.
    Are you certain about them teaching modern WuShu? I quote from the website, "We offer a traditional and ancient teaching style ".

I liked your teacher's demonstration. Yes I understand the cheap sound effects, only trying to make it look better :D .

I still like what I see from this Kwoon. Especially their 'Shaolin Training Camp" and Qi GonG.

Thanks again onyomi. ;)

8. Gasg

Gasg Valued Member

I live in laval too, and i'll pimp my style first. Well im not exactly sure what you want but whatever, we train in 'shaolin wing chun' (www.shaolinwingchun.com) the main school is on lajeunesse in montreal in front of the henri bourassa bus terminal. But my instructor teaches us at the Tennis 13 in laval. He teaches at the main school too.

There's also http://www.shaolinwhitecranekungfu.com/ which seem like a great school. They have a kwoon at the centre laval, next to the 'kontact sport' martial arts shop. Im pretty sure they're affiliated hehe.

I think there's quite a few other options if you check out google or les pages jaunes.

9. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Thanks Gasg.
    Wing chun is an interesting art but it certainly does not fit my style.
    Shaolin will be the way for me to go.

As for http://www.shaolinwhitecranekungfu.com/: It was my first choice. Not only is it very close to my area but they teach Fukien White Crane, which is another style I like. I have probably read almost everything there is on that website, had yet to check it out.

But I will stick with Shaolin GonG Fu, as it is the art which appeals to me the most.

Thanks for your consideration.

P.S: Yeah Sifu Lorne Bernard owns "Kontact Sports". I have visited his shop not too long ago. Yeah it's pretty much "affiliated" with the kwoon considering the Teacher owns it :D .

Thanks again.

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I would recommend the Fujian White Crane school (assuming it's authentic) over the New Wushu school calling itself Shaolin any day. That's what bugs me the most about these Shaolin "temples" in America. It's one thing to say "we teach Wushu" or "we teach the new standardized competition forms," but to try to pass off New Wushu as traditional Shaolin is dishonest. The sad thing is the American teachers may not even know that what they are doing is not real Shaolin Kung Fu as they can only parrot the legends and stories their teachers told them about how "ancient and traditional" their art is.

11. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I believe I already did in another thread, but I'll restate it: I heartily recommand the Fujian White Crane. Of course, being a student of Sifu Bernard (the Montréal school) makes me somewhat biaised :cool:. It is the real deal; and the Sifu's a great teacher.

It might not look as impressive as wushu at first, but there's nothing better than the feeling of understanding the practical application of a movement you've been doing for weeks.

12. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Yeah Guizzy, you've already told me that about 3 times :cool: .
    Sifu Bernard is a real good teacher, I seem to know that already. You've also told me that his students do lots of partner - partner training.

Don't get me wrong, if I hadn't found any Shaolin kwoons around my area then I'd go straight to Sifu Bernard. I was really looking forward to becoming one of his students until I found these kwoons.

I was thinking at once about maybe mixing them up a little. Considering that White Crane is taught as one of the 5 animals in Shaolin GonG Fu.

Well, the only way is to actually try it for myself.

So thanks again guys! ;)

13. TheDarkJester

the students work on a Senior Junior system? Thats good stuff. I'd jump on that if I had your opportunity sir.

Anytime you see a junior senior system in a kwoon generally speaking they tend to run very traditionally.. and thats where the good training comes into the light.

I say go to any one that interests you.. Watch a class, ask to participate. If it feels right and you fall in love with the movements.. its for you. Good luck on your journey sir! :)

14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Question: why do you spelled it "GonG" with a capital on the end?

15. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Thanks Jester but you got me a little confused... are you being.. Sarcastic? :eek:
    Or is "Senior-Junior" system really.... "Traditional"?
    I knew this question would pop up sooner or later..
    It's just an old habbit. I find it looks neater than writing Gong Fu..
    Don't ask... Really.. :eek: :eek:

Thanks again, Vick.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

OK cool. Anyways that Shaolin place looks OK, they teach Wing Chun/Shaolin

I just don't like those "general Shaolin" places though. . . . it feels very "spread out" in terms of what they teach, etc, etc.

17. TheDarkJester

Sorry to confuse :eek:

Basically this is how my kwoon does it, and considering we are extremely traditional in our methods.. I'd somewhat expect a similar approach in a different style.. not exact, but close. Basically we run it like this..

"as much as possible in the beginning stages of training, a junior student is paired with a senior student to guide learning one on one while the instructor supervises closely to ensure consistency."

Also.. traditionally, there was no ranking in kung fu schools as we know it today, although there was civil testing in martial artists for proficiency and certification as instructors. in the schools themselves the junior/senior structure prevailed.

Hope I made things a wee bit clearer. :cool:

18. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Yeah I know but it's the best I could do for now.
    As long as it's not a "mcdojo" as they call it here on MAP ;) .

19. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Rather not double-post but heck you beat me to it :eek:

Yeah things are much clearer now, a great method too.

Thanks! :)

20. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Definitely traditional. Usually the famous old master wouldn't bother with the students until they had gotten all the basics down. The teacher teaches the senior students and the senior students teach the beginning students. That's how it traditionally worked.