Shaolin Kung Fu vs Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Korpy, May 13, 2005.

1. XinXin

XinXin New Member

I train in shaolin, i used to train wing chun. I like the workout i get from shaolin alot more.

If i were to pick a style to concentrate on it would be shaolin. But I highly suggest that if you do decide on shaolin, at some point you should still go and get some solid wing chun skills, its a very effective system.

2. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Also, shaolin's Bird Style and Southern Fist are related to Wing Chun, so I'm guessing that learning some Wing Chun would probably give you a strong foundation for both of those styles.

3. SamuraiJoe

SamuraiJoe New Member

You might have more fun doing Shaolin, but shaolin kung fu has ALOT of wasted motion. If this is for self defence, do wing chun. Though you might be bored of wing chun, it is very good. Just be patient and stay with wing chun if you're gonna learn it, because doing wing chun isn't much of that fun. Shaolin you do lots of cool stuff but it is just that so good.

4. muttsnuts

muttsnuts New Member

I enjoy Wing Chun.... :rolleyes:

5. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

I disagree. Shaolin has no wasted movement. There may be a few moves that are more for conditioning (very few), but all moves other than those are fighting moves. Also, most WC people I know love doing WC.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  6. Rising Sun

Rising Sun New Member

If I had the chance, I'd take Shaolin, but not only because of the martial arts (though it's a main aspect), also because of the heritage, the internal and external training.

But, as everybody suggest (so do I), take some free lessons, if available, and see, what fits you more.

/edit: just noted the last entry... how did you decide? :)