Shaolin Kempo Technique Archive

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Matthew Barnes, May 25, 2006.

1. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Hey Matt,

Do you guys have Pine tree blocking?

2. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

They are on there...DM's are combinations.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

SMM:

These brothers wouldn't happen to be your instructors would they?

Chris & Nick Mechling

4. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

Thank you M. Barnes!!!!

First, A very special Thank you, I have good material if i ever need to remember how a DM goes.
    Thank you!

5. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

No pine tree blocking yet.

Not yet, but I'd be much obliged if someone were to send it in. That didn't show up in the MSDC curriculum up until my school left. I have no idea if it shows up after, as they made some changes after they left Villari's.

Matt

6. Matthew Barnes

Glad you like it.

Thanks!

There are some variations from school to school, so of course how your instructor interprets it will be most important to you personally, and they all aren't up yet (I think we're at about 75 of the 108). Feel free to submit any missing ones and / or submit any ones that you do that are notably different.

Pics / video will have to wait until a) I have more time, and b) I move it from my 'comes free with your cable account' host to something that would support that kind of space and bandwidth situation. Someday.

Matt

7. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

I need to throw this out there. I had two more blocking systems that i learned around Shodan rank when i used to live in NY. it was the Sunflower blocking system and the Iron Fortress Blocking System. Both blocking forms were as long as a reg. kata. I def. liked the Sunflower one.. you see elements of it in some advanced forms. I have been searching for them again because i have lost them. So if anyone knows them - get them to Matt.. I believe they came from the Fred Bagley group of teachers.
    Jesse

8. shaolinmonkmark

Matt Barnes, how will you post the forms/katas??

Matt Barnes,
    how will you post the forms/katas??
    Will you be using clips, or, with pictures???

9. Matthew Barnes

Video later. Dragon Blocking now.

Eventually I plan on posting video. I don't have the time or bandwidth yet.

Dragon blocking system is up.

10. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

the link to loudoun martial arts on the page for combinations 1-10 contains a typo.

11. Matthew Barnes

Thank you!

I'll take a look and fix it.
    Thanks,

Matt

Edit: Fixed!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  12. Matthew Barnes

Huge combo influx.

Two new articles have been added, and thanks to Ken Warner of Evolution Karate we've had a huge influx of combinations.

What we have, what we need:
    Have (88 total):
    1-78
    80,81, 85, 87-90

Need (20 total):

82-84, 86
    91-92
    97-108

As always, if you have one from the 'need' list, please send it in. We're really close at this point.

Matt

13. Matthew Barnes

Knife techniques and a Milestone

After much searching, I found the files for a 1998 manual I typed up for the dojo. I've grabbed the knife techniques out of it, although we don't teach knife defense in that manner any more. I figured it was a good example of 'typical' Shaolin Kempo knife defense.

As I was watching the most recent changes to the site get published, I realized that it was taking a bit longer these days to complete the upload. That's because the site now spans over 50 individual pages. The archive has really taken on a life of its own, as it now contains:

88 combinations
    47 Kempos (with maybe some overlap)
    39 Animal techniques
    10 knife techniques

and 10 blocking systems. That's about 184 self defense techniques, and we're not done yet. I'd like to thank all the folks who've contributed, or even just sent feedback. Every one of you has really made this worthwhile for me. Thanks for being along for the ride.

Matt

14. Matthew Barnes

Clubs too.

Out of the same 1998 manual come the club techniques, although again, I teach them differently now. They do give an example of 'typical' Shaolin Kempo club material however, so they are included in the archive.

I also took the liberty of reorganizing the site a bit. Some of the sidebars had become ridiculously long. Hope it works for everyone.

Matt

15. Matthew Barnes

Now Grabs too.

I've again gone to the 1998 manual and the grab technique section is now up. It doesn't cover everything but it does have some for the lapel grab, the double wrist grab, the front choke, and the rear choke.

Matt

16. Matthew Barnes

Four point blocking

Marlon Wilson has submitted the Four Point blocking set, based on the rising crane (or chicken wrist to some schools) and the dropping palm.

17. Matthew Barnes

Forms?

Someone wrote in to ask why there is no forms section yet. I guess that means it is time to create one. I'll start typing mine, but if anyone else has some ready, please send them in and I'll start posting.

Thanks,

Matt

18. Matthew Barnes

Whoops!

Whoops, I forgot Ben Gawiser of Loudoun Martial Arts already sent in 1-5 pinan, and 1-2 kata along with Statue of the Crane, so they will be up shortly.

Matt

19. Matthew Barnes

Pinan series and Kata Series are up

Pinans 1-5 and kata 1-6 are up. Ben Gawiser had sent in the pinans plus 1 & 2 kata, Bill French sent in 3,5 and 6 kata, and I wrote up 4 kata.

Matt

20. shaolinmonkmark

will you be posting other forms as well?

Matt,
    I have two questions for you
    1. Will you be posting the forms Hansuki, Circle of Tiger, Swift Tigers, Snake fist form, Ingleis Northern/Southern, etc.
    2.In your current style, what kind of forms have you been learning since receiving your 5th, and what are their names.
    If you could, please give some examples of them.
    Thanks for your time and patience as well as the most up to date library website ever on shaolin kempo on the internet!