Shaolin Kempo Technique Archive

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Matthew Barnes, May 25, 2006.

1. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

I'm hoping to start a Shaolin Kempo Technique Archive.

Why?

Well, for starters, I hate the 'secret club' method of training. You can't see / know what's ahead until you've tested (and often paid a fee). I think it would be healthier to take a 'top down' look at the whole art, and make a judgement.

But some guy is going to use this and set himself up as a Master fraudulently!!!

Folks have been doing this for years without this information, so at least they will be more accurate frauds. I mean, so far all it seems to require is a green belt and the ability to set up a school in the middle of nowhere. For best result, get some mail order rank, and as a bonus, find some old MA senior and get him to give you a 7th Dan.

Now the students will be able to know what to expect, so the frauds will have to work harder instead of making stuff up.

With this in circulation folks can be judged on their ability to do the material instead of whether or not they know combination #100.

This is going to ruin the art!

It doesn't seem to have ruined shotokan. Their syllabus has been publicly available for ages.

Where will it be?

Well, I'm going to host it on my little homepage that comes with my internet service, but I hope it will outgrow that spot and I'll have to find a better place. For space reasons, it will only be text for now. Eventually an online video library will be nice.

http://home.comcast.net/~matthewabarnes/

2. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

wow! you came out swinging with that one.....this could be a good thread, or it could end up getting locked. i guess that will depend on your motives and which way the peeps take this topic.

3. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I think it's a cool idea, public info is always good...

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

yes cool idea. Good luck.

Also, make sure to back up all your files in a safe place or multiple places, wouldn't want you to have computer or server problems and lose all your work.

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

you talking video, or just written descriptions? Good idea either way

-D

6. Matthew Barnes

initially just text.

My current site is the cheesy 'ten megs of space you get free with your internet account' type.

So, that means just text for now. If I get an enthusiastic response and some folks willing to contribute video of techniques, then I'll have to work on 'plan B'.

7. Matthew Barnes

I don't think we'll get locked.

As long as we keep to a basic agenda, I don't think we'll get locked. I don't know how far we'll get, but my basic plan is, get technique, with corroboration as much as possible, post. Repeat.

No secret handshake, no fees, no password, etc.

Matt

8. bill007

bill007 New Member

I have all my curiculum from msdc in a binder, I'll take a look at it and try to remember the curiculum from my Villari years, could be fun to compare with the new stuff i'm learning in American Kempo now, I hope this is not going to offense anyone in these organisations.

Bill

9. Red J

Red J New Member

This could be good. Great idea Matt.

10. Matthew Barnes

Thanks - I appreciate the support.

I think it's been done before to some degree, but I'd just like to get the info out there. I've done a few so far for example purposes, so check the website. .

11. Matthew Barnes

Great - the more the merrier!

Cool. Many of mine come from MSDC, especially the 26-40 range. I had most of the earlier ones from a FVSSD school that left with Demasco in '92 or '93 to become an east coast USSD. I was with MSDC from '95-'03.

I always liked the way Professor Bryant did his material. Strong, no nonsense. The school I teach at split from MSDC in '03, but for organizational differences. It reflects in no way negatively on Professor Bryant, we just couldn't do what we needed to do for our school and be a good MSDC school.

12. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

I don't know about websites, but it sounds as if you need to move to Britain.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a Kempo instructor in the country charging for instruction beyond the cost of running their club, everybody is quite happy to teach you any technique that you're capable of learning, and our approach to a social life over here is national multi-instructor seminars, which generally cost less than the meal out afterwards.

Speaking for my own club, I'm not even charging grading fees, although my sensei used to charge £5 (about US$8) and make you buy your own belt!

To be fair most clubs don't put their syllabus online - but I'm pretty certain that's because they'd rather you actually turned up and said hello!

G

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  13. Matthew Barnes

That sounds good for kempo over there.

The online syllabus is not to replace training, but rather to help with review, comparison and the general knowledge about the system within and between organizations. I'm trying to get the info out so that nobody wanders around thinking 'well combination 88 is a 7th dan combo, it must be secret /teh d43d7y/ the all powerful magic move' that I must stick around for. It's not any particular technique that makes you effective, it's training hard and practicing fundamentals. The kempo pioneers weren't loaded with vast numbers of super techniques, they just trained intensely.

14. bill007

bill007 New Member

[QUOTE
    I always liked the way Professor Bryant did his material. Strong, no nonsense. The school I teach at split from MSDC in '03, but for organizational differences. It reflects in no way negatively on Professor Bryant, we just couldn't do what we needed to do for our school and be a good MSDC school.[/QUOTE]

I don't know Professor Bryant that much, Master Nohelty was the one who take care of our school and i had the chance of meet him 4 or 5 times in clinics or tournaments and he is a great martial artist for sure master Bryant and Nohelty will always have my respect. I don't know what happened 2 or 3 years ago but all the dojo's closed down and the students where left there this is really sad for the martial arts.

Dominic

btw, your one of the Cape Cod guys i think? it's ring me a bell when I first saw your name on this forum

15. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

Speaking for myself, anybody coming along or asking nicely is welcome to a copy of my syllabus with my complements. Similarly, I asked our friend Kempo-Kid (who runs a dojo about 60 miles from my own, but is much more accomplished than I am) about his syllabus a while ago, and he simply sent me a folder with everything from white to 1st Dan in it - very interesting it was too.

But of course I agree, the real heart of kempo isn't in the individual techniques, it's in the application, flow, transition between techniques, and fluency in whichever techniques you use. That you'll never get anywhere but a dojo - it doesn't lend itself to written description. But, having spent time in the dojo, having a list of what you're supposed to know does help!

But if you want to know what we do and aren't local enough to drop into my dojo, drop me an EMail and you're welcome to such of my syllabus as I've got in electronic format. 7th to 4th kyu at the moment (I must do some serious typing and do the rest).

G

16. Matthew Barnes

Cape Cod? Yep, that's me.

Yes, I'm one of the Cape Cod guys. A few years back a bunch of not particularly related events came together and as a result MSDC suffered a bit of an implosion. Mostly unfortunate coincidence regarding timing among some school owners that were moving / selling their schools and some incompatible ideas on how to do things that couldn't be resolved between some other school owners and the organization. I have no doubt that they will build again, and wish them good luck.

17. Matthew Barnes

Thank you for your offer.

I will do that - and I'm afraid it will have to be by email. If I am correct, you are a few thousand miles east of me and it's a long swim.

Which SKK background / organization do you come out of?

Matt

18. Matthew Barnes

21 through 36 are up.

I've got 21 through 36 up.

I've got to type in some of the lower ones. After I get all the ones I have up, I'll start on the 'kempo techniques'.

Of course, any submissions are welcome. Those above 40 especially so, as with only a few exceptions, that's where I drop off. So: godans, share the love. :Angel:

http://home.comcast.net/~matthewabarnes/

19. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

How do you expect that after leading of with this?

20. Matthew Barnes

I'm sure someone out there has a sense of humor...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm putting up what I have. If other folks don't like it, they won't contribute.

The folks who have already responded positively, just might.

I feel sunlight can help cure fungus, mold, crud, bacteria and virii. Let it shine on our art, and it will be healthier for it.

Unless we get sunburns or cancer. :confused:

Matt