Shake Ingredients

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pobeli, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Anyone got any recommendations of things to or to not put in shakes? I just made my first shake, and I think I made a few major mistakes. I put in quite a bit of broccoli, some lunch meat turkey, a bunch of cocoa, some honey, two bananas, a couple handfulls of blueberries, some almonds, three tablespoons of olive oil, a cup of cottage cheese, and milk. It tastes disgusting. I'm definitely planning to cut out the honey and cocoa, as I put in way too much cocoa and it tastes gross. Any other ideas of what to or not to do? Thanks.

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I ate some awful things in the early days in the name of health but not even I could have drunk that mate. :eek:

Now I just have this as a post workout shake.

1 scoop of unflavoured whey
    1 banana
    1tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp honey
    1tsp creatine

3. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

What did you expect?

4. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Hehehe. He put an entire days worth (in terms of variety) of food in there.

5. WotEvaYuKanDo

When I first bought a juicer I thought it would be good to mix up some fresh vegetable/fruit juice cocktails with broccoli juice because it is just so healthful a vegetable... and has to be even better for you raw, right? However, the thing I learnt very early on is that in fact the only way you should ever eat broccoli is the regular way on a plate with meat and potatoes. The smallest lump is enough to render any drink as palatable as gasoline.

6. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

LOL :D That is quite a shake. :p

Remeber, less is more- shakes shouldn't be 1,500 calorie, half gallon monsters. Try putting in some whey, a piece of fresh fruit, and 8-10 oz. of juice or lowfat milk. I like yogurt in mine sometimes too.

7. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I actually couldn't taste the broccoli that much. The primary thing that ruined it for me was, I think, the fact that I tried to cover up everything with cocoa and honey. Ugh. This was far and away the worst thing I've ever tasted. I'm very glad to finally be finished with it. My plan for next time is to cut out the cocoa and honey entirely, increase the fruit considerably, maybe add some orange juice, and probably get rid of the nuts and maybe a few other things.

Do I get a prize for drinking 30 ounces of this... pond scum?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

YEP!......you'll find it in the toilet bowl. :D

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Sheesh, that made me queasy just thinking about that. :eek: I got a juicer/smoothie/cocktail maker thingy for Christmas as well, I love it! :D I just go to the fruit bowl, see what is there, chuck it all in and voila! :cool:

10. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Would a lot of fruit, a tiny bit of brocolli, a bit of spinach, some cottage cheese, some oatmeal, and milk be any good? After my experience today, I'm afraid to try it unless someone thinks it would be ok.

But hey, nothing much could be worse than what I had today.

11. WotEvaYuKanDo

Actually I like a 'nutty' shake, this is one I do quite often:

2 heaped tbs flax/linseeds
    1 heaped tbs mixed pumpkin/sunflower/sesame/hemp seeds
    (This mix is incredibly nutritious and the ratio of these ingredients is also somewhat optimised if as above)
    Add a few (not too many) other nuts eg almonds/walnuts/brazils.

Grind the above to a powder in an electric coffee been grinder (blenders aren't so good for this because the small seeds tend to just fly around in the huge volume.) It will look like ground almonds when you're done.

The ground seed/nut mixture above will 1/3-1/2 fill a pint glass, all you need to do now is stir it with some water/juice and drink, surprisingly it doest clump at all and is easy to drink with a very pleasant nutty taste.

I'd take this by itself and not try to mix in anything else such as protein powder/soft fruits as I think then it would most likely turn into a wet cement (why try and achieve everything in one shake anyway? Just make two pleasant shakes rather than one huge thick disgusting one! However, somethings are compatible with this seed/nut shake... eg. usually I also add in a heaped tbs of lecithin granules with no problems and uncooked ground oats can also go in. You can also change the juice base... cooled green tea w. lemongrass was quite good.... just avoid things which will be too 'mushy' and congeal the ground seeds)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  12. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I considered putting oatmeal too, but didn't.

13. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Aw man I'm trying to eat and I read the ingrediants to that first shake, that is horrible.

Just use some whey and fruit man. Vanilla goes good with just about anything. Chocolate is good with bannanas, penut butter, possibly strawberries or rasberries. Why on Earth did you put turkey in your shake?? Why not just EAT the turkey????

That was really bad judgment.

14. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

What's the point of making shakes with all this stuff? Seriously, the first shake you posted is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Why not just eat the food?

If you want a shake, how about some protein powder and water. Maybe add in some olive or flax oil. But what the point of blending all the crap into one shake?

15. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Yeah, stop trying to put vegetables in a shake. It will not work.

Some milk, cottage cheese, and fruit should work fine. Ground flax seeds and penut butter is often a good addition as well.

Eat your cruciferous vegetables in a salad next to some meat, NOT IN A SHAKE.

16. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

I don't see the point in putting broccoli and crap in a blender when I can just put it on a plate and eat it.

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Am I the only person thinking WHAT THE HELL?!? Shake madness!

EAT BOY!

18. BigDaddySmack

BigDaddySmack Valued Member

Post workout I usually enjoy a beer, and try not to shake it.

19. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

im not too big on shakes. i normally have 12 oz of milk with 1 1/2 scoop of vanilla whey protein. today i only had like 1/2 scoop left so i had to improvise. I ended up using 12oz milk, the 1/2 scoop i had left, and i threw in a small container of strawberry yogurt. It actually tasted quite good. I might do it again.

20. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I made one again today. This one's a whole lot better than yesterday's. I put in a bit of crushed ice, a cup of cottage cheese, two bananas, three handfulls of blueberries, two handfulls of frozen strawberries, half a cup of dry oats, three tablespoons of olive oil, some milk, and a bit of orange juice (not from concentrate.) The most powerful flavor is definitely the blueberries, followed by the strawberries and then the bananas. I can taste the olive oil only very slightly. In fact, if I hadn't known it was in there, I don't think I would even be able to taste it. The oatmeal changes the texture slightly, but doesn't really affect the taste. I'm considering trying spinach in it next time, but we didn't have any spinach today.

This shake may not be the best creation ever, but it actually tastes better than what I have for breakfast every morning.