SFUK Open Mat 7: Leicester - June 22nd 2003

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Levo, May 13, 2003.

1. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Time for another of the hugely successful SFUK Open Mats :D

Previous events have had over 150 people on the mats, from total beginners who have never grappled before to Pro MMA fighters and Commonwealth Judo and Wrestling champions!

Attendees in the past have travelled from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France!

------------------

Submission Fighting UK presents...

SFUK Open Mat 7: Leicester 2003

When?

Sunday 22nd June 2003, 1pm till 5pm

Where?

Leicester Leys Leisure Centre
    Beaumont Way,
    Beaumont Leys
    Leicester
    LE4 1DS

(same venue as SFUK Open Mats 1, 3 & 5)

Btw, I've hired out the whole hall this time so we will have it all to ourselves :D

Price?

£3 for training
    £1 for spectators

Pay on the door.

Contact?

Nathan Leverton - nleverton@netscape.net

Format?

1 hour - sparring
    2 hours - technique workshops
    1 hour - sparring

However, the format is flexible and the atmosphere relaxed so people are free to spend the day how they please.

------------------

This is not a competition

It is a shared training experience and social event for the betterment of our sport. A chance to meet, spar with, and learn from the people you speak to and read about on the internet. Bullies and big egos need not apply.

------------------

Please contact me in advance if:

a) You have products to sell on the day
    b) You would like to teach a technique workshop
    c) You can offer any help in promoting the day

------------------

Instructors, students, fighters, promoters and fans all welcome.

These events are only made so successful by your support, please spread the word as much as possible.

Nathan

2. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

Not been to a Leicester one yet, and will have to miss this due to my birthday and relatives visiting me. But I have been to 2 of the Manchester ones, and would advise everybody that has not been to one, to go. If you have been to one, what are you waiting for. The price can't be faulted, you will not got this much value for money anywhere. There is no egos there, and it is an excellent format.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'll do my best to get there Levo - whether or not I'll be on the mat is another matter.

4. Swoop

Swoop Valued Member

I chose the wrong time to get married.

5. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

I hope you can make it mate, whether you train or not.

Nathan

6. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

IT'S THIS WEEKEND

Golden Rules

1. Safety First

Go easy, it's not a competition.

We must all work together to create a safe training environment.

Anyone who comes down to thrash training partners will be made to leave.

2. Enjoy Yourself

Don't take it too seriously, relax and enjoy the day.

Getting the Most Out of the Day

1. Warm up thoroughly. Don't go straight on and sprain something in the first minute.

2. Socialize. Make time to chat with people. Don't be a mat rat :D

3. Do as much or as little as you want. Some will train the whole session but if you only want to drift on and off or spar for 10 minutes that's fine. No pressure.

4. Try not to just train with the people you came with, what's the point! :rolleyes:

5. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you're getting pinned and can't move ask for advice on how to get out. If you see someone do a cool move ask them to show it to you.

6. Pace yourselves. We always have a mat overflowing at the start and about 15-20 left at the end, with everyone else totally wasted by the edge of the mats.

7. Bring a water bottle and towel. A change of tshirt is advisable too. It can get pretty hot.

8. Take something to record the things you learn (camcorder, pen and paper etc).

Nathan

7. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Address:

Leicester Leys Leisure Centre,
    Beaumont Way,
    Beaumont Leys,
    Leicester
    LE4 1DS

Directions:

From North - M1:

M1 - come off at Junction 22 on to A50 (Field Head Road).
    Stay on A50 through Groby, then take left on to A46.
    Take right on to A5630 (Anstey Lane).
    Take left at roundabout on to Bennion Road.
    Follow Bennion Road to small roundabout and take the right exit (signposted Leisure Centre).

From South - M1 (new directions, quicker):

M1 - come off at Junction 21a on to A46.
    Take a right off A46 on to A5630 (Anstey Lane).
    Take left at roundabout on to Bennion Road.
    Follow Bennion Road to small roundabout and take the right exit (Leisure Centre is signposted).

From South - M1 (old directions given to past events):

M1 - come off at Junction 21 and follow to roundabout.
    Take the road into Leicester (A560) and move toleft hand lane which takes you onto the A563.
    The A563 will bear to the left under a bridge and take you up to a roundabout. Take the third exit (A563).
    You are now going to stay on this road (A563) almost all the way there.
    You will come to 5 roundabouts along this road, go straight over on every one staying on the A563 (the turn-offs will probably be marked 'Outer Ring Road').
    At the sixth roundabout look for signs on your left marked 'Leisure Centre', follow these to the venue.

From East - A47:

Take A47 towards Leicester
    From A47 (Uppingham Road) take right on to A563.
    Stay on A563 all the way to Beaumont Leys, you will pass over approx 5 roundabouts.
    At 6th roundabout the right exit is signposted for the Leisure Centre.

From West - M69:

End of M69 brings you to same roundabout as coming off Junction 21 of M1. So, simply follow same instructions as "From South - M1 (old directions)" OR get on M1 and get off at 21a to follow "From South - M1 (new directions)".

Map

Click here for MultiMap map

Nathan