Seventh's Super Sexy Sushi Time

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Seventh, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

2012/07/23

Was feeling crappy, so I just screwed around and did the following:

Pull Ups:
    - 1 x 3 reps
    - 2 x 6 reps
    - 1 x 5 reps

Push Ups
    - 2 x 20 reps (Wide Grip)
    - 5 x 15 reps (Standard)

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Must be something in the air, I've been tired the last two days myself. I know it's still early, but has the boxing training shifted your views/approach to your other martial arts?

3. Seventh

Oh yeah, definitely. Haven't thought about it in detail (just woke up too lol), but training in Boxing, and cross training in general, has opened my perspective on a couple of areas:

1) The weakness of my own fighting skill and the limitations of my other arts. Boxing in my personal opinion and in the short time I've done it, teaches how to throw punches, deal with punches, and effectively retain and maximize punching ability in a fight, through amazing movement, guard position, and range control.

Elaborating a little, the range is a big thing to me. Before I thought a couple of kicks would put a Boxer at a large disadvantage, but now I see that with a Boxers excellent control of range that is beaten into a person during training constantly, an open mind, and some minor adapting, kicks (even ones to the legs) would just turn out to be a minor annoyance. I'm pretty sure if I tried to kick some of the Boxers at my gym, they would, besides being moderately annoyed, have no trouble neutralizing the kick and bring the fight into their range. Boxing has certainly revamped my views on striking, and puts my training in TKD into perspective.

2) Boxing keeps things simple, yet complex and deep. I've only been taught three punches, Jab, Cross, and Hook, yet the different combinations you can create and execute are near endless, and that is without adding slips, bobs n' weaves, v-stepping, etc. It's fun, but also makes you "dangerous". You have a simple, small arsenal which you can focus all your energy on learning and perfecting, and even though your arsenal is small, the ways you can manipulate it and use it are not, which to me, makes Boxing all the more fun. I never had that sort of feeling in grappling at all.

I have a couple of other ideas, but I want to think about them after I've trained in Boxing more.

4. Seventh

Boxing:
    2012/07/024

Warm Up:
    - Skipping for 10 minutes
    - Joint Rotations

Main:
    - Heavy Bag Work 7 x 2 minutes
    - Pad Work
    - Skipping 3 x 2 minute rounds
    - Shadow Boxing 2 x 2 minute rounds
    - Punch Out Drill on Heavy Bag 3 x 30 sec

Cool Down:
    - Stretching
    - Joint Rotations

Notes: Injured my right hand, so the entire class I could only use my left, which was both good and bad. The good was that it forced my to develop my Jab further, which looking back makes my bad. Got to work on my left hooks, so that was a plus as well. The bad was that punch out drills were a giant pain in the ass, and by the time the lesson was over, my left side was thoroughly was beaten.

After talking to Steve, the reason my wrist was injured is that because since I have so much power in my right side punches, deficiency in my wrist alignment, evens the minor ones, are magnified. I was punching with a slightly bent wrist (was trying to do a cross too close to the heavy bag). I ended up straining the tendons. I still have full movement and control of my wrist (can still type, play games, use the mouse, etc), I just can't punch or put a large weight on the hand when bent.

Other then that, fun class. Pad work is coming along, skipping, as much as I hate it, is getting better.

Consumed roughly 3640 calories, 240 grams of Protein, 350 grams of Carbohydrates, 150 grams of Fat, and 5530 grams of Water.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

My old Thai teacher would have us do knuckle push ups ungloved on the front two knuckles to get alignment right, you might want to try something simOlaf at home when your wrist is better. It could help.

Or you could try "baton punching" it seems to help folks understand how to guide their wrist

6. Seventh

I do knuckle variation every time I have to do push ups, but I probably have to pay attention to form more.

Also, what is baton punching?

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Thanks for your thoughts, Seventh. Hope the hand heals quickly.

8. Seventh

Thank you Dormindo, I appreciate the support.

Going to take it easy for the next few days, only exercise I'll probably do is shadow boxing.

9. Seventh

My internet is back!
    So without further ado......

Fartlek (ft. Dog):
    2012/07/27

2km Run:
    - Ran as hard as possible for 10 seconds, moderately jogged for 30 seconds, repeat.
    - Finished in roughly 8-10 minutes (Construction on road so I had to wait a few minutes before crossing).
    - Mochi (my dog) kicked me ass.

Notes: Mochi (my dog) kicked me ass. When I got home I was decently tired, she on the other hand was as perky as ever. Mochi was faster then me and lasted longer to haha. New goal for jogs/fartleks is to keep up with the dog :D

10. Seventh

Boxing/Circuit
    2012/07/28

Warm Up:
    - Skipping 3 x 3 minute rounds
    - Shadow Boxing 1 x 3 minute round

Main:
    - Heavy Bag Work 4 x 3 minute round
    - Pad Work

Circuit:
    Burpees
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 15 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps

Pull Ups

- 1 x 5 reps
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 2 x 7 reps

Tricep Press w/ TRX
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 15 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps

1 minute round on Heavy Bag, followed by...

Burpees:

- 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 15 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps

Squats w/ Cable Machine (@20lbs)
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 15 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps

Clean and Jerk w/ Push Press (@10lbs Medicine Ball)
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 15 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps

Hamstring Curl w/ TRX
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 15 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps

Notes: God awful circuit, completely fatiguing. Happy I conquered it, but nonetheless, it was evil.

Pad work is coming really along, I'm reacting faster to the pads, and my jabs are becoming better too, especially with the snap and accuracy. Speed is pretty good as well. Worked on a new punch, the uppercut, and that felt pretty good. Left uppercut feels kind of funny to throw, but I'll get used to it.

Heavy Bag work is feeling really, really good. My combos are feeling great, and when mixed in with the evasive movements it feels very very nice.

Sleep was decent, food and water consumption was as well.

Consumed roughly 2830 calories, 210 grams of Protein, 240 grams of Carbohydrates, 115 grams of Fat, and 4050 grams of Water.

11. Mangosteen

baton punching is a visualisation thing when shadow boxing.

imagine punching with a tonfa.

it helps understanding how to guide your punch - with your forearm rather than your fist., that way you get better alignment.

12. Seventh

2012/08/07

Morning:
    Skipping
    - 1 x 2 minutes
    - 1 x 5 minutes
    - 1 x 2 minutes

Evening (Boxing):
    Warm Up
    - Skipping 3 x 2 minutes

Speed Bag
    - 1 x 2 minutes

Padwork
    - 1 x 2 minutes

Heavy Bag Work
    - 1 x 2 minutes (focusing on straights)
    - 1 x 2 minutes (focusing on hooks)
    - 1 x 2 minutes (focusing on uppercuts)
    - 3 x 2 minutes

Skipping
    - 2 x 3 minutes

Bodyweight Exercises
    - Push Ups 1 x 30 reps
    - Sit Ups 1 x 30 reps
    - Squat Jumps 1 x 30 reps
    - Burpees w/ clap Push up 1 x 25 reps

Cool Down
    - Stretching
    - 2.4 cups of milk

Notes:
    Padwork - Feeling good and bad on this. Had a nice solid round on pads, working the combos and slipping/bobbing n' weaving. My jab still is lacking that snap on the pads, which is annoying me. I have to twist that fist more, and have more snap. My cross is fine, just my jab needs work. I lose balance/miss hit the pad every now and then, and my reaction is delayed with combos too. Need practice on that. Need to react better to punches to after my combos, need to keep the movement constant. On a bright note, I did a 1-2-1-2, bob n' weave, 2 completely automatically with no delay. My body just reacted, and then really really makes me happy!

Speed Bag - Evil little red ball.....

Heavy Bag Work - Feeling good, though I obviously could have done better. Straights are feeling alright, working on using the 1-2's while incorporating angles. Hooks are feeling really nice, have a lot of power and speed (bag was swinging like crazy), just need to work on body positioning, as my hooks are sometimes to wide because I'm to close or far from the bag. Uppercuts need work, I don't drill them enough, maybe I should next class. Overall, decent!

Skipping
    What do you know, with the practice I've been doing, skipping is starting to actually be somewhat fun. Still obviously need practice though, but I was able to skip continuously for nearly a whole round. Something to work upon!

Nutrition and Sleep - Sleep was decent, sneaked in a nap so that was nice. Consumed roughly 3400 calories, 210 grams of Protein, 400 grams of Carbohydrates, 120 grams of Fat, and 9000 grams of Water.

13. Seventh

2012/08/09

Morning:
    Shadow Boxing
    - Shadow Boxing 3 x 2 minutes

Evening (Boxing):
    Warm Up:
    - Skipping 3 x 2 minute rounds

Heavy Bag Work:
    - 4 x 2 minute rounds

Padwork:
    See This: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111278

Circuit:
    Clap Push Ups
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 10 reps

10 meter runs carrying Medicine Ball overhead (@12lbs)
    - 3 x 10 reps
    - 3 x 10 reps

Squat Jumps w/ dumbbell (@20lbs)
    - 1 x 10 reps
    - 1 x 10 reps

Russian Twists w/ Medicine Ball (@12lbs)
    - 1 x 20 reps
    - 1 x 20 reps
    **Back and Forth = 1 rep

Burpees w/ Clap Push Ups
    - 1 x 25 reps
    - 1 x 25 reps
    - 1 x 25 reps

Punch Out Drill on Heavy Bag
    - 6 x 10 seconds

Cool Down:
    - Skipping 1 x 2 minute round
    - Stretching
    - 3 Cups (750) of 2% Milk

Notes:
    Padwork
    See This: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111278

Heavy Bag Work - Just working on jabs mostly, some 1-2's.

Nutrition and Sleep - 6.5 hours of sleep plus a 1.5 hour nap, equaling 8 hours of sleep overall. Consumed roughly 2900 calories, 210 grams of Protein, 290 grams of Carbohydrates, 110 grams of Fat, and 8810 grams of Water.

14. Seventh

2012/08/11

Morning:
    Shadow Boxing
    - 3 x 2 minutes

Afternoon (Boxing):
    Warm Up:
    - Skipping 2 x 2 minute rounds

Heavy Bag Work:
    - 6 x 2 minute rounds

Padwork:
    - 1 x 2 minutes

Bodyweight Stuff:
    - Push Ups 2 x 10 reps
    - Clap Push Ups 2 x 10 reps
    - Crunches 2 x 10 reps
    - Leg Lifts 2 x 15 reps
    - Burpee's 1 x 20 reps
    - Jumping Jacks 1 x 10 reps

Cool Down:
    - Skipping 1 x 2 minute round
    - Stretching
    - 2.5 Cups (625ml) of 2% Milk

Notes:
    Padwork - Padwork went much much better! Jabs and crosses are feeling good. Was with my usual trainer (awesome Irish guy) and we worked on my straights the majority of the time. Worked the Jabs, Jab-Cross, and Jab-Cross-Jab-Cross the majority of the time. Feeling much much better! Even tossed in a hook here and there for fun.

Heavy Bag Work - Working on the range and 1-2's. Feeling good, making sure to hit the bag just as my arm straightens. Got some nice "smack" sounds.

Nutrition and Sleep - 8 hours of sleep overall. Consumed roughly 2800 calories, 170 grams of Protein, 310 grams of Carbohydrates, 85 grams of Fat, and 6120 grams of Water.

15. Seventh

2012/08/13

Morning:
    Shadow Boxing
    - 3 x 3 minutes

Afternoon (Workout):
    Warm Up:
    - Shadow Boxing 1 x 2 minutes
    - Joint Rotations

Pistol Squats (Assisted)
    - 3 x 5 reps

Door Pull Ups
    - 3 x 7 reps

Dips
    - 2 x 7 reps
    - 1 x 8 reps

Burpees w/ Plyometric Push Up
    - 9 x 5 reps

Cool Down
    - Stretching
    - Joint Rotations
    - 2.4 Cups of 2% milk

Notes:
    Burpees - Burpees were done at the end of each set of exercise. For example, I would do a set of Pistol Squats (1 x 5 reps), then immediately following I would do five burpees. I would then rest, do another set of Pistol Squats, and then five burpees right after. Same principle applies to the Door Pull Ups and Dips. My legs are thoroughly beaten haha.

Dips and Door Pull Ups - Easier, managed to pump out a few extra reps.

Pistol Squats - No difference really, still the same. I'm doing them with better balance and slightly faster, so that's a plus.

Nutrition and Sleep - Eight hours of sleep. Consumed roughly 3380 calories, 250 grams of Protein, 255 grams of Carbohydrates, 150 grams of Fat, and 7260 grams of Water.

16. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Nice ratios on the nutrition, what's your BMI if you don't mind me asking?

17. Seventh

After a quick google search, my BMI is 24.

I'm cutting it close to being overweight according to the chart lol.

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I'm just guessing, but I bet your fat percentage say's otherwise. My BMI is 26 and that is overweight cause I estimate my fat % at 20. I'd like to get my BMI to about 18 - 20.

19. Seventh

That's why I don't like when people believe that the BMI is the be all, end all of determining your healthy weight. The BMI doesn't take into account the muscle and fat ratio, as well as the composition on a person.

20. Mangosteen

i know i shouldnt ask a lady ( :p ) but whats your height and weight ms. seventh?