Seventh's Super Sexy Sushi Time 2.0!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Seventh, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yay shrugs!

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

2013/02/20
    (Workout A)

Warm Up:
    Skipping
    - 3 x 3 minute rounds

Dynamic Stretching/Joint Rotations
    - 3 x 1 minutes (in between the skipping)

Workout:
    Bench Press
    - 1 x 10 reps @115lbs/52kg
    - 1 x 7 reps @135lbs/61kg
    - 1 x 3 reps @160lbs/73kg
    - 4 x 7 reps @135lbs/61kg

Back Squat
    - 1 x 10 reps @135lbs/61kg
    - 1 x 8 reps @185lbs/84kg
    - 3 x 3 reps @225lbs/100kg
    - 1 x 10 reps @135lbs/61kg

Cable Rows
    - 1 x 20 reps @50lbs/23kg
    - 1 x 10 reps @80lbs/36kg
    - 3 x 7 reps @110lbs/50kg

Ended workout with stretching and whatnot.

Notes:
    Workout - Bodyweight +2lbs Bench Press, and 225lbs/100kg Squat PR, awesome! Was supposed to be dead/press day, but I figured hey, I'm close to my mini-goal, so why the hell not? Good, good session, whoo!

Nutrition/Sleep - TBA.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Well done you! :D

4. Fish Of Doom

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice lifting! :D

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Nice numbers!!

7. Seventh

2013/03/01
    (Workout B)

Warm Up:
    Skipping
    - 3 x 3 minute rounds

Dynamic Stretching/Joint Rotations
    - 3 x 1 minutes (in between the skipping)

Workout:
    Overhead Press
    - 1 x 15 reps @45lbs/20kg (bar)
    - 2 x 10 reps @65lbs/30kg
    - 1 x 3 reps @110lbs/50kg
    - 1 x 7 reps @85lbs/39kg
    - 4 x 10 reps @70lbs/32kg

Deadlift
    - 1 x 8 reps @185lbs/84kg
    - 1 x 6 reps @225lbs/100kg
    - 1 x 3 reps @275lbs/125kg
    - 2 x 5 reps @225lbs/100kg

Dips
    - 2 x 10 reps @15lbs/7kg

Ended workout with stretching and whatnot, plus an extra round of skipping.

Notes:
    Workout - Whoo, 110lbs/50kg press. Lighter session since I had a brutal boxing class the night before, plus a floor hockey game a few hours before my workout.

Nutrition/Sleep - Sleep was good, roughly 8 hours. Roughly consumed 2730 calories, 180g of protein, 320g of carbohydrates, and 80g of fat.

8. Seventh

2013/03/02
    Having to do three rounds with constant, full pressure punching and Mark constantly maneuvering around the ring on the punch shield (http://store.titleboxing.com/punchshield1.html) is evil. Just evil.

Also, got my gear. Mouthpiece has been formed, gloves, headgear and groin guard fit, and everything is in working condition. Sparring on Tuesday, if I can get the ring.
    Now to fall asleep Zzzzzzzz....

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Wait until somebody is hitting you back, lol. I am so looking forward to reading whatever you post on Tuesday.

10. Seventh

I'll be sure to write something up!

11. Ero-Sennin

Today is Tuesday! Make sure you update us on your experience! Pictures if you end up with a black eye or something! :D

12. Seventh

2013/03/05
    SPARRING (1st day)

Background Information:
    Seventh - 158lbs/70kg, 5 feet 8 inches, 7-8 months experience of Boxing
    Ryan (sparring partner) - 176lbs/80kg, 5 feet 10 inches, 10 years experience of Boxing, 50'ish bouts.

Intro:
    I ate a lot of jabs, no lies. I got my **** handed to me haha. I was like "hey, he's gonna jab, I've got th-DOINK! Okay....he got me that time, one more time, I've-DOINK! OKAY, I'll get it th-DOINK!". When he first hit me with the jab, it hurt. I was like "WHOA THAT JUST HAPPENED". He would jab, and I would duck/slip. I managed to dodge a few, particularly the slip, but either I was to slow, with him hitting me in the forehead, or with him hitting me in the nose/eye.

He then proceeded to rearrange my face with his jab, and by the end of the round my entire nose was covered in blood, as well as by gloves. I was also scared too. I won't lie. when he hit me there was a sense of fear. But it was also exhilarating. I didn't want to back down, I wanted to keep going. Of course I didn't like getting hit that much, and I wanted to dodge it, but a part of me was like "hell yes, drive through, don't back down!" I don't care what anyone says, until you've been hit hard for real for a round, you haven't really done it.

First Round:
    So the round itself went like this. He would jab, and 90% of the time I would eat it with my face. The whole round consisted of my trying to jab at him, as well as throwing a few 1-2's. He either got out of range so my punches hit air, or he put up his guard and my gloves kinda bounced off his. A few times I would jab, then go for the cross, but he would pop the jab in between my combo and the next thing I knew I was off balance and my cross was sailing to the seven seas, whilst Ryan simply sidestepped to my right side and kinda just stared at me. I did hit a couple of times with by jab, but that's it. My 1-2's were useless, except for when I jabbed to the face, then threw a cross to his body. Round ended and Mark had to plug up my gush nose lol.

Round 2:
    Pretty much a repeat of Round 1. I ate a lot of jabs, my punches were rendered useless, except for a few good jabs I got it. One instance I jabbed to the face then went in to launch a couple of hooks to the body. He saw right through it and guarded it. Same thing happened when I cornered hiom against the corner, I would go for the shots and my shots would bounce of his shoulder. He had some sort of Philly Shell going. Ryan through a couple hooks at my body too, thank god I managed to guard against them, though I'm pretty sure I ate one. Round ended.

Final Results:
    - Bloody Nose and a sore forehead for me.
    - I ate a crap load of jabs and crosses.
    - I got Ryan a few times in the face with jabs, a few of them were direct hits, a few were glancing. Nothing effective though, as I didn't fully extend due to Ryan pooping out a jab at the same time and hitting me first. I think I cut Ryan's nose.

Physical/Mental After State:
    Did a self check on my self, walking is fine, not dizzy or tipsy, while a little dazed, still alert and able to carry a conversation. No head or eye issues besides a sore forehead where half the jabs hit me. No issue typing this out either. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Good Things I did
    - Guard was kept up, a few jabs were to the jaw/chin my my guard stopped it.
    - I jabbed, and I jabbed some more.
    - I kept moving, didn't let me head stay in one place (though I still ate jabs lol).
    - Didn't panic too much or run, or **** my pants lol. Didn't freeze up either.
    - Pretty sure I breathed, but not well.

Things to work
    - React faster, watch that jab.
    - Jab more, and jab some more.
    - Breath/exhale with each strike
    - Spar more. Spar even more.
    - Jab, jab, jab, and jab some more! JAB.

Final Thoughts
    I have much to learn. I also had an absolutely wicked time. Patrick noted that I had the biggest grin on my face, even though there was blood streaming from my nose. Can't wait for Thursday!

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

he's taller and probably has longer reach so staying in closer was probably your best option
    but if he was hitting you as soon as you tried to jab him then you were a bit slow im guessing!

good luck in school tomorrow!
    either everyone will think you're badass or that you got mugged.

14. Seventh

No lies, he is much faster then me, and punching in 16oz gloves was awkward for me haha. Need to work that jab more!

15. Ero-Sennin

Glad you weren't too busted to post your first experience sparring! Sounds like you had a good, "This is what Boxing is" lesson!

Have you been taught to parry/block with the palm of your hand yet? It's a great way to keep yourself from getting tagged with jabs and leaves your sight open to avoid the consecutive punch following. You won't get all of them, but getting hit with 20 instead of 50 is still preferable! It can also help equalize a reach advantage from your opponent in the future, but that's a little too in depth at this point : P!

I'm sure you noticed the difference in learning a technique on the mitts/bag and what is required to apply the technique! I'm sure you'll start picking it up quickly. It's a good idea to go into each sparring session with the intent to work on something (like the jab) and actually ---thinking--- about how to make it work instead of "just doing it." I know that sounds weird but it makes a huge difference! Good luck man and happy to hear you enjoyed it!

16. Fish Of Doom

you're gonna go far :D

also what ero said.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

another thing would be to look for patterns, establish patterns, but don't get caught up in them
    number one way you'll get hit is from following a pattern and not breaking rhythm

18. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Confrats man in finally being able to get out annd spar! Tha masochism seems to run strong in you!

19. Seventh

Thank you so much guys! I plan to work the jab and focus on footwork and defense the next session, as well as getting used to being hit in the face, going to keep it simple haha.

Just woke up, did a check. No eyesight issues or headaches. My body however is quite, quite sore, and my forehead kinda hurts, since it took the brunt of Ryan's jabs.

One more thing I learned is that while a jab isn't the most powerful shot, it is a damn well dangerous one. I respect jab more then I ever did at this point.

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good on you for finally getting to the sparring stage and good luck with your training (watch those eyes though! ;) :)).