Seriously burned out - Need advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by The Decay of Meaning, Apr 26, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

I am seriously burned out, because of moving 4 times this year, excessive schedule of school, job and training, etc.

A week of vacation didn't help, and my doctor gave me two months off the job but I can't keep up the workload at school because I am burned out. It's a vicious cycle. In two days I'll have to go to work again, because the doctors areng pressured by the government to get get pasieents back to work after two months.

I am so burned out I start hyperventilating by the thought of opening a word document and trying to fix all of the assignments. I don't show as often up on school because I am dead tired. Totally exhausted, almost panicky.

I don't see any immediate solution and it's the last of three years at high school, so I really need to get my <stuff> together in days, not weeks or months.

I've never been burned out before but it is a complete hell. I just want to get back into shape in my life so I can keep up with the schedule.
    Solutions? Thoughts?

[please remember that asterisked swearing is still swearing, Thanks :)]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  2. righty

righty Valued Member

What's your current schedule like? If needs be work out exactly what you are doing 24/7 in your life in as much details as possible. Work out how much time you spend travelling sleeping, working, studying etc.
    And how old are you?

My first thought is that stress can be a major factor in burning out, and it sounds like you are mentally burned out rather than physically. So your probably quite stressed.

You will need to slow down and make sure you have time for yourself. One of the best things I've read recently is put time aside to 'do nothing'.

Put all your current activities in a list and order them in terms of priority. Then you will see if you can cut any of them out completely. One thing that should always be high if not the highest on the list is sleep. Make sure you get enough.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  3. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Meditation is what I suggest

4. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Righty is right, you need time to do nothing or something that you generally enjoy.

I personally detest doing homework sometimes, and my grades started suffering because of it. I am not taking advanced college courses, but the workload is sometimes overwhelming.

What I do when I don't feel like doing homework is not to do it at that moment. If I have time I'll turn on my Playstation 3 and play for an hour or two. By that time I'll have enough patience to go back and finish up what I need.

If you can afford it, like you're living with your parents or something and don't need money, just quit your job. It'll take loads off you and you can concentrate on more important things like your school.

If you can't afford it, buy a daily planner and start scheduling your day. While it may seem tenious, you'll have a plan to tackle the day and it'll help you manage your time.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would say stop training for a while. From the post, youre in High School therefore youre still young, a little time off from training wont hurt you (too much) and you can always go back to it and start over if necessary.

Unfortunatly you cant do that with education as much. In England, I discovered later that GCSE's haunt you. I got 1 GCSE and that was in Art. I was about 3-5% from getting C's in everything else. A lot of (office) jobs wouldnt hire me due to my GCSEs despite having a University Degree. I mainly got my jobs via well written cover letters and doing well in interviews.

Basically: Go with your education mate.