Serious question... what is this fighting style?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by airweaver, Dec 14, 2013.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

This is from the movie big trouble in little china, the style in question is the first 25 seconds of this video... I'm curious as to what style those hand tecniques belong to that that lighting dude is performing. Looks like southern mantis.. Anyone know?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ETpLsbjg8I"]the real origin of raiden - YouTube[/ame]

2. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

Bit hard to tell with all the lightning happening there, but it doesn't look like any southern mantis I learnt. Besides making lightning, he's also levitating, killing a bloke by throwing a kukri, and wearing a roof-hat. Bear that in mind when deciding if he's doing any legitimate kungfu.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Everything about Big Trouble in Little China is legitimate. In fact, that movie defines the very concept of 'legit'.

4. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

oh. ok, sorry. Live and learn.

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Haha, I'm joking. It's just a really, really great movie. Phenomenal. Get a couple of friends together with some beer, you'll thank me later.

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

From what I can gather James Pax (he played Lightning in the film) studied kung fu but I cannot find any info on what particular styles he studied. Movie fu would be my best answer!

8. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

Yeah so was I. I've seen it a couple of times. Not a favourite of mine, but my wife loves it.

9. sammo hung

sammo hung Banned Banned

his name is james pax and i know he studied shaolin snake and i think he is a wing chun guy so im guessing thats snake fist.
    even though snakes dont have fists.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Epic movie!!

Movie fu is movie fu, but obviously has trained in something as it needs a base to work off.

Later in the movie when (spoilers ...and if you haven't seen it, shame on you) when all 3 are performing a ritual in front of David Lo Pan and the 2 girls, Rain, the dude with the 2 back scratchers, does the hand salute for Pak Mei.

Personally I think Lightning was the coolest.

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Dang it, now I REALLY want to watch it again...

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

This movie was one of my favourites:). And I really want to learn the martial arts of spinning cutlery and back scratchers. :eek:
    Most quotable movie ever......

Except army of darkness :eek:

13. sammo hung

sammo hung Banned Banned

this movie really made want to learn magic and chopping bottles in half with cleavers!

p.s. i only ever saw dennis dunn in one other movie.
    anyone know his filmography.??

14. sammo hung

sammo hung Banned Banned

i live in china so probably a stupid question ,but...where can i find a good pai mei teacher?

15. boards

cess

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0241748/

Doesn't look like he has had a great sucess since this movie. :(

16. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

I think everyone is a WC guy in the movie... in the alley war there's lots of movie-WC. But if that's true and it's snake fist then I thank you greatly!

17. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

18. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Thats probably my favourite line from the movie!

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My favourite line from the movie is basically the entire script.

20. boards

I prefer this one