Sensei david rubens

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Sub zero, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Has any one ever had the pleasure of training with sensei david rubins 5th dan yoshikan akido.I attende a seminar recently which my club put together and he is great.Just wandered what ne one else thought of him if they had ever trained with him.

He has tained the tokyo riot police and is bascily incredible with Aikido.

Oh i'm JJ BTW.Not aikido.

2. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

i do not no him but i belive you i'm entering a uchideshi program at the end of october in zwitserland my sensei will be SENSEI PATRICK CASSIDY 5th dan aikikai aikido also a great teacher
    --------------------------------
    treu victory is self victory

3. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I sugest reading reading "Angry white pyjamas by Robert twigger before going.Someone from my JJ club has gone down to rain with him aparntly and will enter the senshsui (sp?) course if ready.

If it's anything like the trainign at the Honbu in Japan, good luck!

4. med

med New Member

i have trained with him.. my club is of yoshinkan origin and we regularly meet still to beat eachover up a bit.. you are correct he is awesome. i must visit the meidokan when im next in london thanks for reminding me

5. dabdilla

dabdilla New Member

David Rubens Sensei

David rubens sensei is a great man. This week he's in Malta for a bodyguarding course and yesterday he visited our dojo and held a training session. It was great. He is also our chief instructor and visits us once or twice a year and even more. He is a really good instructor enphasising on basic techniques. Not doing those right its impossible to be a good aikidoka.

Last year he was in Malta for a training camp in August and he graded some 5 and 7 kyus and in November he graded the 3rd kyus. At our dojo we have around 30 active members and we are quite new. Infact Yoshinkan Aikido was introduced in Malta some 4 years ago. Rubens sensei will be visiting us for sure next september were he will be holding a training seminar here in malta. Whoever is interested can contact me.

Well guys, I have just registered within this site and I am already feeling "at home".

Best regards to all aikidokas.

David

6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

No, but I would love the opportunity. If he is having courses in Scotland could you let me know?

You my friend, are a lucky son of a bitch. Cassidy Sensei is one of the greatest teachers of Aikido I have ever seen. Has his dojo been built yet?

7. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

you missed one a few months ago. With my JJ asociation. he recently had a really cool seminar that was held in a forest near his house.

you trained form 6am to 6 pm. Complete darkness. couldn't make it. Any way if i hear about amy seminars in teh uk i'l let you know as my club may well be going down if there are any more.

8. dabdilla

dabdilla New Member

I heard about that day seminar in the forest. He sent me the advert. I will also let you know about next year's seminar in malta to be conducted by david rubens sensei.

Regards

david

9. warren

warren Valued Member

i had the pleasure of attending a course hosted by dave rubens back in 2001 and as a result of that can i say i've been on the mat with the head of the japanese yoshinkan school.
    i would like to try yoshinkan aikido as a result of that,. how ever in the uk the only yoshinkan club's are in london which is to far away for it to be practical.
    i do believe that david ruben's is going to give the jiu jitsu club i belong to a seminar some time later this year.

10. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Warren would u mind keeping me posted in that seminar.

Went to a seminar in Birmaingham a while ago Billy doak and neil adams were teaching. was very good.

11. warren

warren Valued Member

yes when a date is given i'll be more than happy to give the detail's.
    talking of billy doaks i have also been on the mat with billy doaks,i remember him demonstrating a technique with his wife at the beginning where just as you think he's going to put her thru the ceiling he put's her thru the basement instead,
    he then motioned for me to come over to receive the technique but to my releif his wife applied the technique instead.
    having said that as i'm only 5 foot 3 and weigh just 55 kg i would have been more impressed if billy's wife had done the throw on him rather than the other way around,it does get attention at the beginning of the session though which is what he wants although he's built like the hulk his size does that anyway

12. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

lol
    Yeh.
    Billys the head of my organisation. When he throws peole they bounce about 3 or 4 times.

I ahve been told that you don't really feel getting thrown by billy just becasue of the sheer amount of control and speed,. (aslong as youget your break fall in in time)

Thanks warren.
    :D

13. warren

warren Valued Member

with billy acting as tori it gives you the incentive to breakfall well
    i wonder if you have ever been on the mat with sensie keith morgan

14. koryuman

koryuman New Member

I have been on the mat with Keith Morgan Sensei.For a little guy his throws are powerful,but his locks are more excruciating.The guys a walking encyclopedia of knowledge. Have met him a few times now,very impressive.

15. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

Jaime????

As for Daz he`s back now....wasn`t fit enuff apparantly

16. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

I trained with him last year in dunfermline at a cross training day.Taken ukemi for him a few times, felt nice. I thought he was good. Ive seen so many different yoshinkan instructors and they are so different to each other, the best ive seen is Joe thambu from melbourne now he is the dogs enchaladads, amazing form. But dave is probably one of the best in this country. good guy to know as well