Sensei Coyle (Koyo)'s Memorial

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by makotokai, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Koyo was one of those select few whose posts I'd read anywhere on any topic in any forum. An amazing wealth of knowledge and a nice way of expressing it. I feel sorry for his students, friends and family because it is clear that an amazing person was lost.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

My three year old decided to go looking for a DVD today. He managed to pull a load off the shelf and on to the floor falls a case.

Inside was a film Koyo had sent me with a hand written note.

I'll be watching it again this weekend whilst having a beer :cool: and it's now on the top shelf with my MA books.

I've also found out a number of old MA Mags, Terry O'Neil's Fighting Arts, with interviews of Koyo and some articles.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Koyo

Hey Farhad,
    Really great to hear from you:D We are now practicing in Daisy Street, feel free to pop down, Monday's and Wednesdsays.
    Also we are holding a memorial seminar on the 15th May at the Griphouse in Glasgow. Fro 10:00 til 16:00.
    Hopefully see you soon.
    Gerry

4. lorrainemccoll

lorrainemccoll Valued Member

Hi Gerry its Lainy here (lainybird, Billys daughter), i take it that the memorial seminar is an open invite to every1? Could u please let me know where exactly Griphouse is and i will let rest of his kids know (Billy, Anne Marie and George) cause as i'm sure u'll understand we would really like to be there and share his work and memory.

I'd appreciate any update when u get a chance so i can pass details on.

Thank you Lainybird.

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Griphouse is at the bottom of Possil road on Garscube road (Roon' Toll). In the building above the Tower bar.

6. lorrainemccoll

Thanks Gerry

Hi Gerry thank u for the quick response, i've passed the info onto sis and bros and we'll all be there and believe it or not the place that ur holding the memorial seminar is actually an old sewing machine factor where i had my first job :).

Hope ur all well and continuing the good work and we'll catchup real soon.

Cheers again Lainybird.

7. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Hi Lainy,
    Someone got in there before me. Of course its an open mat at the seminar and would be great to have you. I'm sure you'll still have a an old kit around somewhere :D
    Gerry

8. lorrainemccoll

Hi there Gerry, I'm the odd ball off the family it's my older sister Anne Marie and brother George that done Aikido and are the artist of the family and Bill plays guitar and sings and loves dvds/cd n stuff but me i just like to think i inherited his good looks (big nose) and magical fabulous sense of humour :) cause i'm the baby so all the talent was used up when it got to me ha ha.

Spoken to others and they are all eager to come along and watch and stand proud to see how great u all are and all with thanks to our DAD xxx.

9. Chris Banks

Chris Banks Valued Member

10. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Such an incredible man...everything I read about him or by him just makes me see him in a better light, and I've not even been here that long.

11. embra

embra Valued Member

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

13. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

I came to Japan over eleven years ago to find good traditional 'hardcore' aikido, after taking my ten years' worth before then as far as I wanted to in the schools available to me in the UK.

I came across MAP by chance, discovered "Koyo" was here (of course, I'd read about him before) and joined because of him, discovering rather than Japan, Glasgow would've more than done nicely! He had the same ideas I'd come to thinking, except that he'd been living them for fifty years!

Was really looking forward to going all the way up there on some trip back to the UK, and getting to train with him.

I hope I can someday train at Makotokai, and of course, that Makotokai continues to keep his legacy alive.

I've missed my chance to train with another of contemporary martial arts' greats, and my best wishes go out to those who knew him and trained with him. I can only imagine how you're feeling as my brief and insubstantial meetings with him on the net enriched my knowledge and even my experience of martial arts.

一期一会

RIP

14. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

I'd just like to add...

Bugger.

:(

15. lorrainemccoll

Hi guys this is Lainybird (Sensie Coyles daughter), i would just like to say that my home computer is out of use and therefor i'm in library using theres and just wanted to say a big thank you all again for all ur kind thoughts and words that u have all passed on about our father. Billy, Anne Marie, George and myself Lorraine (for some reason every1 seems to be referring to me as Elaine which i'm sure my dad would not b none to pleased about as it was he himself who choose my name) will be there at the memorial seminar and i know this may sound a bit rude but just thought i'd let u know that myself and my daughter Hannah (6yrs) and neice Amanda (17yrs) will be doing the RACE FOR LIFE (for the 4th yr) and would like to ask for u all to dig deep into ur pockets and sponsor us with any loose change u may have EVERY LITTLE PENNY COUNTS. This is a race that all proceeds go towards cancer research and help for those who have and r suffering.

See u all soon, please take care and keep up the great work with the mokotokia.

Lainybird x

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Lainybird, do you have a just giving page we can go to?

If so post a link.

17. embra

embra Valued Member

Scotland's loss.

Before I forget (times are very hectic for me),

just a few weeks before koyo passed away, another great Scot passed away.

Gerry Rafferty's lyrical and melodic delivery is sometimes compared to Lennon and McCartney.

Koyo's ability and enthusiasm in teaching and communicating all matters Martial Arts, are akin to Gerry's lyrics and melodies.

Maybe they can have a jam session or 2 now.:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YA4lDu0bWE"]YouTube - GERRY RAFFERTY - Days Gone Down (Official Video)[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  18. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Its funny you should say this, in my head, Gerry Rafferty and Koyo are kind of in the same 'niche', both Scots, both musicians/guitarists (i can't listen to the guitar break in 'Baker Street' without thinking of Koyo), both with a great sense of humour (just checkout Koyo's 'tomato ketchup' story and listen to Billy Connolly talking about Gerry Rafferty's practical jokes). Miss them both.

19. embra

embra Valued Member

Koyo always came accross as a definitively down-to-earth fellow, unfazed by the trappings of importance and stature that sometimes accompanies MA organisations.

Gerry had no time at all for stardom, glitz and glamour.

I did meet Billy Connolly once when I was nipper (13 at the time), just a year or 2 before he hit the big-time - he too was very down-to-earth and unaloof.

Someone (alongside MAP's online recognition and appreciation of koyo) should get get round to organising civic (Glasgow) and national recognition (Scotland) in a manner befitting Koyo and Gerry's good natured demeanour.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  20. lorrainemccoll

Hi again guys

Hi there guys, this is Koyo's baby daughter (40yrs auld but still his little lainybird), our computer is still down but was just wanting to update u all on all the warm well wishes and many thanks to everyone from my elder 2 brothers and sister sent to u all on our dads behalf for the tremendous words and happy thoughts ur all sharing about this tremendous marvellous magnificant talented superb (could go on all day) man who was our dad.

As I mentioned we will all b there on sun 15th for the memorial service and look forward to watching his pupils and many others share and enjoy this special day.

We as a family are still finding it extremely very very hard and raw still and feel as though things r getting worse rather than better with his passing of this horendous disease (but we were never a selfish family and would never in a million yrs want him to have suffered). Time they say is a healer but eternity is not long enough for us.

Anyways, I've still not managed to set up a site so people could donate to our RACE FOR LIFE sponsor run so would appreciate if possible u could bring along any spare coppers or loose change to donate to this great cause.

Wishing u all good health and happy times x
    Lainybird.