Sensei Coyle (Koyo)'s Memorial

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by makotokai, Feb 9, 2011.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

One of koyo's hallmarks was his ability to appeal to everyone on the forum in a matey manner - sure he would have a fair old verbal tussle if needs be - and I can recall a few epic scraps, so to speak.

Its the mark of the man, that he reached many of us by words alone, through a common interest where he always expressed MA in an elemental and instructive way, that was always relevant and often funny.

2. liero

liero Valued Member

A true master.

I remember when he started posting his "book" stories lessons and memories from years of training. A real insight!

As another who never met him. Living on the other side of the world, his departure makes me sad.

Thankyou

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I assume someone will be forwarding the URL of this thread to his family? It'd be nice for them to see how he affected people worldwide.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Koyo's friends and family are aware of the thread and have access to the forum.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thanks Llama, hopefully this has made them very proud in what must be a difficult time.

6. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Well I was trying to look for a quote from Koyo, and looking through his posts reminded me.....

Koyo embodied "shut up and train" mentality in its entirity; nearly every post on martial arts included a recollection of someone he had trained with or pracitcal discussion of a working technique with pictures of him performing it.

Koyo was very focused on doing martial arts, not talking martial arts.

7. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Take care mate wherever you are.

8. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

Koyo sensei will be greatly missed. I always made a point of listening to his advice whenever I saw it, he was a very wise man. I had always hoped that I would get to meet him someday at one of these MAP meets I hear about or maybe at his dojo, but unfortunately it seems that it was not meant to be.

I will definitely be pushing myself harder at my next training session in his memory.

9. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Slan Koyo

sa bhaile seo
    chan eileas a'siubhal ach an aon uair
    's na clachan a rinn ballaichean
    a' dol 'nan cairn

in this village
    people only travel once
    and the stones that made walls
    become cairns

Aonghas MacNeacail

All the best to his family and students, i can honestly say his straightforward advice has changed me and my karate.
    I cry for him (for me really) now.

10. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

I didn't see this thread and I am actualy teary eyed never had the opportunity interact with him here, the advice he gave out to other members was always enlightening.

11. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

I lurked here for a while before I joined and Koyo's posts always jumped out at me with their wisdom.

He will remain a light to the community.

12. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Wish I could have met him - his posts were always entertaining, informative or downright funny (and sometimes all three) and his sense of humour shone through. Aikido is not my discipline but I have still picked up many pointers from Koyo's posts which can be applied in my own training.

Thank you Koyo - I only knew you through your MAP posts but you will be sorely missed.

13. Gustav Collares

Gustav Collares Proud Aikidoka

I never had the chance to interact with Coyle Sensei.

His posts, as well as Aikiwolfie´s, are the reason I decided to keep training Aikido.
    He will remain as an inspiration for years and generations to come.

I will train harder this year, and dedicate any kyu-grade advance to the memory of "slim" Coyle. May he tutor us from the heavens.

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

You would have liked him :) as we all did. :)

15. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Been away from MAP for awhile and I returned to find this. Although I wasn't close to Koyo he was always insightful, respectful and always had a comeback (a true Scot). I'm gutted I never got to speak with him more or got to meet him even though we stay in the same city. Aikido and martial arts in general have lost a great man. RIP Koyo.:(

16. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I am sorely saddened by this news... I didn't know Sensei Coyle very well, but I always enjoyed reading his posts. He always came off to me as a gentleman and a warrior, yet a laughing and warm one at times.

We're all lucky that he was a member here, because even though his posts on MAP were just a small part of his experience and knowledge, we can learn much by going back to his old posts and reading, reading, and rereading them.

Rest in Peace, Sensei.

17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Just came back on MAP after a while off to see this sad news.

I always enjoyed reading his stories about past training with the masters that my father used to train under, I had heard how hard that training was, and in Sensei Coyle's case produced a true master.

The voice of reason, true understanding of martial arts and the ability to express this knowledge to the rest of us. From the moment he came onto this forum it was clear he knew what he was talking about.

It will be a great loss to this forum, and my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

RIP William Coyle (Koyo).

18. SleepySasquatch

SleepySasquatch Valued Member

I am unfortunate to have never truly met Koyo, and it's for this reason that I, like many others, am shocked at how upset I am by this news. I can only claim to have gained glimpses of the wisdom, humour and kindness this man has shared with this community and the world at large. But that which I have witnessed has truly touched myself, and no doubt others.

Koyo was special to everyone on this forum, and no doubt in his life as a whole. I hope only the best for his family and friends. May he live on in the blessings he has bestowed upon others.

"Watching a peaceful death of a human being reminds us of a falling star; one of a million lights in a vast sky that flares up for a brief moment only to disappear into the endless night forever." - Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

19. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

When I saw this, today became my saddest day. Tears in my eyes. I am his chinese student, followed him for half a year. I am really pround of this experience. So kind person. I always think about going back to his dojo and listening to him. Now it is not possible. I am so sad.

20. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Koyo

Sorry you got the message over the internet, really difficult to catch everybody.
    Remember you can train with us anytime you like.
    Gerry